“Great place to stay”

Ranked #64 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Huntington Beach
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

I first booked with the Aqua Surf & Spa Hotel back in May on their website. I booked more than 30 days in advance so I saved a nice chunk of change on the room. Im a big guy at 6'11" so the most important thing to me was having a king bed. I called to book a superior room with a king but was told there were no kings available at that time. So I just booked the next room up a deluxe with a king.
A few days later I decided on upgrading to a junior suite and emailed them about it. I was told it was no problem. If I recall the junior suite was $135 more for the 7 nights I would be staying there. Mahina handled all my emails and was great. A few days later I emailed her asking if it was possible to be on the top floor (Honolulu can get loud at night) and she said she'd put in a request for it. Then I asked to have the room facing Diamond Head if at all possible. (The other side of the hotel doesnt have as nice a view as the Diamond Head side btw) She responded that she'd also put that in the request as well.
I arrived arould 1pm on June 24th, two hours early for check-in. They held my bags for me at the front counter as the room wasnt ready yet and I spent the next two hours wandering around Waikiki and grabbed lunch. Came back at 3pm, and what do yuou know.....my room was on the top floor (room #1608) and facing diamond head! Couldnt have asked for anything more than that. I never had any issues with noise from outside or from the other rooms. Its definately worth it for the top floor. The bed was brand new (manufacture date on the tag was 6/15/2010!) and was very comfortable.
Yes some of the furniture in the room shows signs of wear, but then again you arent paying $300 a night at the Hilton Hawaiian Village or $450+ at the Moana Surfrider. The balcony was HUGE! compared to the other size rooms that werea floor below us. It also didnt have the white plastic furniture outside that the units that are below a junior suite have. It was all wicker. Four seats total with a nice table and a bench seat as well.
Internet was free which is a huge plus for someone on a budget. Most hotels charge $15 plus a day and not having to spend money on that free's up cash to do what matters most on vacation, sightseeing, great food, etc. All I had to do was ask the counter for an ethernet (probably a 15 foot one at that which is nice if you want to sit outside on the balcony and use your laptop). I dont know why people complain about the free internet being slow. It worked fine with my laptop.
The bathroom was adequate for our stay. Nothing too fancy. The bathtub/shower did show some wear as well as the fixtures in it. The toilet did run after it was flushed but all you had to do was jiggle the handle and it stopped right away. If there is one thing the Aqua Surf & Spa should upgrade next it should be the bathroom. But again, it was fine for my needs.
The kitchenette is a nice addition to the room. It had a small microwave, mini-fridge, small sink and actual flatware and silverware to eat with. We stopped at the Food Pantry right nextdoor and stocked up on some drinks and food. The Food Pantry nextdoor is a great thing to have. Whatever you need they pretty much have. Yes its a little pricey but then again what isnt in Hawaii?
The parking garage is small but we never had any trouble finding a spot for the rental car. Parking is $20 a day which is pretty standard for most area hotels.
During our stay we wanted to know where the best place to rent a decent surfboard was (places on Waikiki Beach can be ridiculously expensive). The front desk told us that Mark the facility maintenance guy at the hotel was a surfer and could help us out. The first day in our room we called the front desk and within 3 minutes he was knocking at our door. The guy was great, telling us where to rent a board, great places to grab food, etc. He should seriously be in customer service or relations or something. For the remainder of my stay there whenever Id bump into him we'd stop and have a chat. He always remembered my first name. Its nice to see there are still employees like him around.
The one thing I was bummed about (though no fault of the hotels) was that our luau at Paradise Cove (amazing experience, if you go pray you get Cousin Bronsons bus, he's a riot) was the same night as the hotels free cocktail party with Tim Clark the manager, so I missed that.
I did a lot of research and reading of reviews on the hotels in Honolulu/Waikiki and decided on the Aqua Surf & Spa because of its quiet location (the walk to Waikiki beach was around 8 minutes), the price of the rooms, free internet and most of all because whenever there is a bad review written here, Tim Clark the manager always leaves a comment and is very polite about everything. Stuff like that goes a long way with people, Im proof of that. I hope this review is helpful (as are the pics) and that if you choose to stay at the Aqua Surf & Spa you have as great a time as I did. Nextime Im back in Oahu i'll be staying there again.

Aloha & Mahalo!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yamsi12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

I guess I'm a little spoiled after previously staying at one of the higher end Waikiki resorts during my last trip to Oahu, but the Aqua Aloha Surf & Spa is an OK choice if you're on a budget while in Honolulu.

I'll start with the positive; the hotel is in a prime location that's within walking distance from Waikiki beach and all of the shopping destinations in the area. If you want to hop on the Trolley and head to Ala Moana the pick up point isn't far away. The hotel itself is pretty clean and doesn't offer any added frills which keeps the costs down. My mattress was a little in the old and uncomfortable side but they are in the process of replacing them all with new beds. The staff was friendly and accomodating.

I don't have a lot of negatives to add but I will say that the entrie Waikiki area is very noisy and you may hear traffic and/or sirens going off. This is unavoidable and really isn't controlable for the hotel. The only thing that got on my nerves was the extremley slow and small elevators. There are only two elevators that always seemed to be packed with people and the wait could be a little while if there were a lot of people or it was a peak time. The only thing I would recommend the managment to address would be asking the housekeepers to spend a little extra time cleaning the showers. My room's shower reminded me of a gym shower stall after rush hour. Other than that I don't have any real complaints but next time I'm in Honolulu I'm going to spend a few extra bucks and stay at one of the nicer resorts.

• Stayed June 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

From the first time I arrived at the aqua aloha surf it was a very positive experience. I spoke with Vinh at the front desk ,explained to him that i asked for early check in,it was only 8a when we arrived,he apologized and said they were sold out the night before ,but took my cell # and said he would call me as soon as a room was available, He did just that within 20 minutes he called me to say they had a room available and even gave me alittle larger room to accomodate my disabled husband and child's bed. The continental breakfast every morning was wonderful!! Pancakes made fresh while you wait, toast,juice oatmeal, donuts,coffee, fresh fruit and a smiling staff and a free Honolulu newspaper to read,much more than i expected, saved us about 20.00 a day for breakfast. and the staff was great. friendly and quick to accomodate our needs, I stayed at the Hyatt regency last year with an ocean front room,while that was nice, the aqua aloha surf was a much homier feel. and the managers reception on tuesday night was a great opportunity to meet Tim the hotel Manager,he was bar tending. and no limit to the drinks. there is a laundry facility in their basement,they have change at the front desk, with an ABC store on every corner very convenient,the Beach was 3 short blocks away, Parking was 20.00 a night, but a little birdy in the hotel lobby told me about a hotel down the street about 6 blocks that was only 10.00 per night, a 10 minute walk. on Kuhio avenuethe Aqua Aloha Surf is a.Great Hotel I will stay again we travel there twice a year to visit family and will recommend this to everyone,as far as noise every one speaks of, yes there is alot of street level noise we were on the 11th floor, but you are on vacation in beautiful Waikiki, why would you want to sleep in and miss the beautiful sunrise,or go for a walk on the Beach ?

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
mxc305
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

This was a delayed honeymoon - we got married 3 years ago at a destination wedding and never went on an "official" honeymoon until now.

Like many people, we use this site because it provides a very fair assessment, both good and bad. Before going into the details, I will say that we had a wonderful visit, and would definitely return. Here are the details:

First, Tim (the manager) is the best. We communicated via email before our trip and he was quick to reply (unlike most managers) and assured me that all my requests would be met (room away from the street, high floor). Upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised with a room upgrade and wine/chocolates because he remembered that this was our honeymoon.

The hotel entrance was great - it was recently remodeled and is very inviting - open layout, comfortable chairs, TV, etc. The person checking us in was quick, nice, and professional.

Our room was exactly what we needed - a comfortable bed, functional A/C, sofa, mini-fridge, microwave, coffee-maker, etc. As most reviews point out, the rooms are not huge - but it all depends on what you want and need, for most people it's large enough. The sink was clogged when we arrived, and maintenance repaired it in 15 minutes. I mention this because any time we needed something, they took care of it immediately. High-speed internet is free, although wired (they provide cables).

The hotel offers beach towels - you just sign them out and drop them off when you're done. This was very convenient since we didn't have to pack beach towels and we had fresh ones each day.

The free breakfast is hit or miss. The food is great considering most hotels don't offer free breakfast. There was coffee, juice, muffins, fresh fruit, toast, and pancakes. The only issue we had was that some people were very rude - note that this has nothing to do with the hotel, it is with some guests (I won't mention where they were from, but I've run into this a few times). They would cut in line rather than wait their turn, and a few times as I was waiting for pancakes, they would put their plate over mine and "steal" my pancake. If they somehow had better crowd control, it would have been more pleasant.

My wife took advantage of the spa in the lobby - and had a wonderful experience. She highly recommended a massage (I did not get one).

The location is one of the best things about this hotel. It's centrally located within walking distance from many eateries, drugstores, shopping areas, and the beach. Everything is within a 10-15 min walk.

Parking was $20/night and we chose to pay it for convenience. Apparently there are places nearby where you can park for less, but we thought it was worth the extra money. There aren't many spaces, but we never had an issue finding a spot regardless of the time.

The staff as a whole was great. We don't remember their names (sorry!). I do remember Nolan helping us a few times, and of the 3-4 people we interacted with, they were all wonderful. As I said in the beginning, Tim the manager made sure we enjoyed our stay from beginning to end.

In summary, we had a wonderful stay, and when we return to Hawaii, we will definitely stay here again. It is by far the best deal - you get a great room in a wonderful location with excellent staff. To Tim and the rest of the staff, thank you for making our stay a wonderful one.

Michael

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mxc305
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

My family came into town for a view days to visit me on Oahu, and I decided to get a room one night so my boyfriend and I could stay down there for dinner and not have to hurry back to the Windward side of the island. My mum booked the Aqua Aloha Surf for their rooms, so I booked it for mine too.

When I checked in I was greeted very nicely by the front desk staff. The lobby was very cute and very clean, and the check-in process was quick. We jumped in the elevators and went up to our room on the 8th floor.

Now since I was only staying one night, I booked the Deluxe Room with a Private Lanai. Best Decision Ever. The room was very nice and very clean. The couch and coffee table was a nice touch and the lanai was nice to chill out on. The linens on the bed were very crisp white and the kitchenette area was clean. There was a microwave, small refrigerator, plates, silverware, cups, etc. The deluxe room was large too. I heard some complaints from people who said the regular rooms are too small. But the hotel prices are usually so low that it should be okay to splurge for the upgrade.

The bed was extremely comfy and I did not hear any excessive noise like other people claim to have heard. I had no issues with this room and thought it was excellent.

I had one small issue, and I discussed it with Tim, the hotel manager, at the end of the Manager's Reception when I was visiting my family on Tuesday night. He took care of the small issue and was very polite about it. He even gave me his business card if I felt it necessary to contact him in the future. And btw, the reception was great! My parents loved the free cocktails and I enjoyed my pineapple juice (due to the under-21 factor). Another employee was walking around taking pictures of guests and took e-mails so that everyone got a free picture of their family emailed to them. Yet another employee was walking around with chocolate-covered mac nuts, all while free massages, charactertures, and live music was going on.

The pool is small, but it's warm, clean, and deep. The pool chair are very comfortable and their is a large grill that guest's can use next to the pool. Take advantage of making your own dinner one night next to the pool! Oh, and the hotel checks out beach towels for the pool or the beach, yet another freebie.

The hotel has a free breakfast from 7-830am (I think that's the times). This was surprising a good breakfast, there was juice, coffee, tea, donuts, fresh pineapple, muffins, toast, and an attendant making pancakes. My family ate their every morning, probably saved them $20 each day. I had it when I stayed, it was really good and a nice treat to have breakfast ready in the lobby.

I've stayed at the Double Tree and the Hyatt before, both in Waikiki. Between the three hotels I've stayed at, I'm choosing this one again. I've been recommending it to people I know coming to the islands and anyone else that is looking for a Waikiki hotel. The price is fantastic and the hotel is clean and a great deal!

I am planning to stay here again at the end of July, I really was that impressed by the value. Whether you're visiting the islands or you're a Kama'aina, I suggest this hotel.

Now, nothing is perfect. So if I had to make suggestions I would say that the elevators was a little warm and stuffy, and also that you should plan on parking somewhere else because it seemed like there are maybe 20-25 stalls total for the hotel and they are $20/night. The fitness center is like two work-out machines behind a screen in the front lobby, go for a run on the beach or a swim instead. Also, the lanai furniture is just basic plastic patio chairs. But it works for chilling on the lanai at night!

So thank you Aloha Surf for an excellent stay and thank you Tim for the lovely reception.

(Yeah, I know this is lengthy, but my favorite reviews are the helpful ones with lots of info!)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank seaturtle_808
Dawson Creek, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

I wasn't in the mood to complain about our horrible stay when we got back. Until 10 minutes ago when I chequed my credit card statement and saw that they have charged my credit card 3 weeks after we got back. I prepaid our stay and there is absolutely no reason they should have charged us this extremely high fee. I called to ask why they have charged me and they don't have an answer. I will be disputing this charge with my credit card company tomorrow.

On to our stay...very loud, parties in the parking lot right outside our window. Somebody trying to knock our door in in the middle of the night. We saw cockroaches in the room, it was absolutely disgusting. I actually wanted to get home.

If you decide to stay here(please, please don't) watch your credit card for a long time afterwards.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
AlohaSurfHotelMgr, General Manager at Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki, responded to this review, 28 June 2010
Dear "Scottmoe66",
As the hotel manager at the Aqua Aloha Surf & Spa, your feedback about our hotel and the idea that someone on my team may have posted an improper charge to your credit card concerned me a great deal. We take pride in conducting our business with integrity and professionalism. Any conduct that might not uphold that standard is a concern to me. I researched this situation. The charge posted to your credit card was in fact a valid charge. It was for the upgrade in room category that you requested prior to your arrival and agreed to pay. When you learned of the charge, contacted our hotel and complained about the delay in posting the charge, it was refunded. This refund was made, not because it was an improper charge, but as a gesture of good will and good service. You were not happy with the delay in posting the charge and so my team made a decision to remove it. I hope this clarifies the situation. We do appreciate your patronage and your feedback.
Mahalo, Tim Clark, Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

Honestly an Ok 3 star property.

Booked over 6months before travel and had email contact with the Hotel reservations area from date of booking stating that I was travelling with 2 adults and 2 children (3 & 1yrs.) was told all along that "we love to have the Kids along at Aqua Hotels" and Kids stay free.. When checking in we were give a tiny room about 3mtrs x 3.5mtrs with 2 single beds. I went down to reception to discuss the room situation and was told that's the room Priceline booked you and thats what you get. If you want a bigger room you need to pay a surcharge per night. ( If I was told by their Reservations people I would have pre arrange and pre booked the upgrade. It felt like I was being "nikel and dimed" the whole stay. Breakfast was a nice suprise Staff were very abrupt.. I felt that being an Aussie (we arent known as the best tippers.) was to my detriment and I got service accordingly. Therfore I tipped according to the service received.

Regrettably I have to say. I will avoid staying here in the future.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family