“Only the bare minimum”

Ranked #73 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Only the bare minimum”
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I chose this hotel because it seemed to be one of the few that offered space for our family of 4. The last vacation we took we were crammed into a 10x12 foot room and we were miserable, so this hotel offered a 2 bedroom with full kitchen and almost 1000 square feet. So, space we did get, but not much else. We really only had 1 bedroom and the other bedroom was a bed behind a curtain. We had 1 T.V. The full kitchen was a joke. We had a mini coffee maker, 2 burners, a small fridge and a microwave. Dishes-only a few-flatware-only a few. Pans-just the bare minimum of everything. Good thing we did not really cook. It would have been grossly inadequate for that. Oh-it did come with roaches-babies-lots of them. When we checked in we had a a full garbage can in the kitchen of someone elses garbage and 1 bath towel for 4 people. We had to ask for everything. Nothing was provided without effort on our part. We were told we had complimentary coffee provided every day and as much as we wanted. Well, it depends on who you ask. The maid does not provide it so we would have to ask down at the desk and by day 3 we were told that we get 1 packet for free and that is it. Now, we were 4 people with a mini coffee maker, so we needed 2 packets of coffee to give each person in our party a cup of coffee in the morning. We all had to share one bathroom, but we managed with that. Upon our arrival, we could not get into the buiding because they lock the entry door at 10pm. We read about that ahead of time online and called them to inquire about this and they assured us that the door will be open for us even at the late hour of our arrival. Well, it wasn't, so we had to follow someone in who had a key. We asked for a room on a high floor since we had read online that the garbage trucks wake people up because thay are so noisy. The check in went smoothly. As for the maid service-well sometimes we had it and sometimes we didn't. They work on "island time." In other words, whenever they get there and when they get there they only make the beds. We asked at the desk and left a note and a tip for the maid to clean our floors and vacuum as they were not clean upon our arrival. Well, the tip was gone but the same trash, leftovers, dirt and toe nail clippings were still on the floor. We were instructed to place our used towels on the floor so the maid would know which ones were used, but when we left to go out for the day and we returned, the maid had not come yet and now all our towels were on the dirty floor and not able to be used, so again we would go down to the desk to get new ones. They are definitely used to this because they seem to keep extra of everything at the desk and will accommodate you for any request. But to have to ask for everything is a lot of expended effort while on vacation. Oh-as for the garbage trucks, oh yes, they woke us up every morning except Christmas and Sunday between 6am and 7am, even though we on the 9th floor, we could hear them perfectly. We eventually began sleeping with ear plugs!! The building is old and according to my inspector husband-displays a lot of construction errors! So, what good can I say-Well, the room had about 1000 square feet give or take and the hotel was near a lot of things. The beach was a 2 block walk, but we knew that before we came. No one knew the hotel by name because it has changed name so many times-including our cab driver from the airport-so I gave him the address. They were nice enough to print our boarding passes for us at the desk although not without sarcasm and negative inferences regarding mine and my daughters intelligence. The hotel had a bar but nothing else. We had no car so we did not have the parking issue. We managed well with "the bus," as it was cheap and easy to use. I bought a package hotel and airfare combo but I would not do that again as I shudder to think of how much I really paid for this hotel. I would definitely stay at a well known hotel next time and have more ammenities available like pool, restaurants, hot tub, service, etc. This was definitely a "no frills" hotel, but not at a "no frills" price!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
WaikikiTides, Hotel Manager at Aqua Waikiki Pearl, responded to this review, 7 January 2010
Aloha darcymrn,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Although your review did not speak highly of our hotel, I do appreciate you sharing your perspective. Your experience has been shared with our staff to ensure that these type of things do not happen again in the future.

We have a preventative maintenance pest control program in place. When critter sightings are reported we aggressively go after them.

We are not a luxury resort, our goal is to provide comfortable accommodations that range from hotel rooms to one, two and three bedroom suites at prices that can’t be beat. This offer is rare in Waikiki and a great value for our guests.

I’m sorry that we fell short of your expectations, I do hope that the rest of your vacation was enjoyable.

Kalei Lyman
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Korean first
san francisco
Reviewed 30 December 2009

We booked this hotel last minute because our trip to Madrid was very disappointingly canceled. My fiance used to live in Honolulu, and we love the islands, so travel here often.
The Aqua Waikiki Pearl has been renovated, but they really need to work on the outside as well. It can use some plants and/or flowers outside (maybe benches). We had the standard room with 2 beds. It was ok, however, because it did not face the street, we never had our curtains open. Although the room has a one way window, it felt really uncomfortable having people constantly walking by.
One of the big negatives with the hotel is the noise!! The cleaning staff talk very loudly and doors are constantly slamming from the employee rooms and guest rooms. Sounds are magnified because of the echoes that carry throughout the hotel.
In terms of location, yes, it is right by Waikiki, but this is NOT the safest location. Prostitutes walk right outside (on Kuhio Ave.) and Legends is a "burly" bar right downstairs (not the coolest place to hang out).
We are not big fans of Waikiki and usually stay in Kailua in a rental or in the North Shore, but because this was last minute we decided to book it.
Would we stay here again? No.
Overall, this is just a place to sleep.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Burns Lake
Reviewed 29 December 2009

OUr stay was made very comfortable by the staff. Mike and Harry went out off their way to make our vacation a great one Ederlina kept our room very clean. The location is good.
for the price we paid we felt we got a good deal

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flossyCanada
London
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Hotel staff very very good. Excellent always helpful morning or late at night.

Harry, Dawn and Cesare (security) all very friendly.

Most impressed.

Standard of hotel excellent with a brillant location.

1 Thank worldtravellerhh09
Victoria, B.C.
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I was a guest at the Aqua Pearl from November 24 to December 8. I had an inside standard room, which was 100% satisfactory. There was no balcony, but I spent the day at the beach, & the benefit of an inside room is that there is no street noise. The location was excellent, the room was clean & newly refurbished. I would stay there again.

1 Thank guysteve98
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Upgrade to a bigger room if you can, it's worth having the extra space. Hotel is in a good location within walking distance to all the beaches and shops from Ala Moana to Honolulu Zoo. It is across the road from International Markets; Starbucks, Food Pantry and 2 ABC stores are in the immediate vicinity. The room has basic amenities but the ones that count: microwave, decent sized bar fridge, wide kitchen bench and space for all your food/drinks, LCD TV, free high speed internet, desk to sit at and air conditioning. It's clean and house keeping are prompt if they notice you haven't put the "Do not disturb" card in the card slot. Reception staff are friendly and helpful. Only cons are it gets noisy at night especially on the weekend because it is close to a couple of clubs and you might see some ladies walking the streets which didn't help the night before the marathon.

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank sonicdot
Mililani,Oahu
Reviewed 16 December 2009

As a college student living in Hawaii I choose to stay here because my brother & his fiance were going to be visiting me,plus I had received a really great offer for the aqua hotels. I'm 21 & I have to say I really liked this place. The house keeping ladies were so extremely nice & always gave 100% when cleaning my room.I had a room with a balcony/2 beds. I would recommend paying the extra $$ for the balcony/city view because it's so worth it,I loved having the sliding door open while I was in the room because theres always a nice breeze. Nightlife is great in Waikiki especially if you're young. It did get a little noisy at night & early morning but it's not as bad as other people said. I didn't have any pest/bug problems either. Mike that worked the front desk was super nice as well as the other guy that worked there & one of the girls(the one with the colored eyes) she was so sweet. I liked the location because the International market place was like a 5 min walk( local food in the food court there,I recommend eating local food while visiting because you'll save money & get the try new things!) Also here was food pantry to pick up groceries & other things like 5 mins away. Big Kahuna's is within walking distance & is nice to eat & grab drinks. The beach is like 10 mins walking & super easy to get to. Waikiki is pretty nice but expensive to non-locals so I recommend getting out of Waikiki during the day & exploring what the rest of the island of Oahu has to offer(beaches,hanauma bay,Kualoa Ranch,pearl harbor to name a few things) The hotel has brochure's in the lobby so check them all out, trust me as a local it was worth getting to play tourist for a week with my brother! If you can avoid going to the bar that's next to the hotel do it! it isn't worth it & doesn't show any Hawaii hospitality whatsoever. It's more for annoying drunk old people who don't know how to really enjoy their time in Hawaii not to mention the male bar tender was an (--). Other than that the Aqua Pearl was pretty nice,try booking through expedia though. You'll save money trust me! A few more things I forgot to mention... parking is $20 a day with the hotel or you can park at the Waikiki trade center which is less than a 10 min walk. $7 for a whole day starting at 5am till I believe 11 pm.

2 Thank meylei23