“Rude Rude Staff!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Washington State
“Rude Rude Staff!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2004

My daughter was married in Oahu last October 30th-she had called and made reservations for the hotel explaining she was staying with her parents in another hotel and would like to check in early on her wedding day-she was reassured this would not be a problem-she called again upon arrival in Waikiki and was once again reassured it would be fine-to make a long story short this did not happen-when she called the day of her wedding the staff on the phone were rude and said the room was not ready-after many hours she and I-her Mom-went over and once again just rudeness-I went back an hour or so later-two hours before the ceremony and sat and listened to the staff laughing about this situation-they of course did not see me until I sat up and asked to speak to the manager-Low and Behold her room was ready right there and then! I have never seen such rude,unfeeling staff anywhere-The rooms are kitchy but cute-which was bittersweet the way she was treated!!! I think it would have been better if she would have been advised to have gotten the room the night before but it was the reservationist who insisted it looked like there were plenty of rooms and that it should be fine.

1 Thank SunsetSusie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2004

Stayed July 1-9, Wonderful Stay! I'm not a picky person, knew I wasn't staying @ the Ritz & wasn't expecting that type accomodations. Upon arrival the front desk was very helpful, got me in my room & bags brought up quickly. After a flight delay of 7 hours, that was greatly appreciated. All staff was very mannered, cheerful & helpful. Yes, the rooms were small, so what? I spent as little time in my room as possible! Complaints about the pool? No! Why would I spend all of my time at a pool when I'm at the most beautiful beaches in the world? I found the breakfast on the beach a wonderful plus, eating poolside listening to the wonderful live performers play & watching the hula dancer was very relaxing, or eating breakfast on the beach before the crowd set in! It was very convenient to pack and take with you when you had an early excursion planned. The location was wonderful, being on the corner, you could cross the street at the light and be on the beach in steps! It was also down out of the crazy fray of the strip, but not TOO far out of the way, still convenient to lots of attractions.

The ONLY complaints I had about this hotel were: 1) the bathroom counterspace was small.
2) the hallways to the rooms were pretty drab compared to the rest of the brightly decorated hotel. When you step off the elevator, it kinda catches you by surprise the first time.
3) The bathtub wasn't wiped out as often as I would have liked, but the rest of the bathroom and room was picked up nicely, and in a timely fashion.

None of the above complaints were big enough to ruin or even put a damper on my vacation, I just thought I would warn you REALLY picky tourists out there!

Two other notes (which were not complaints of mine, but may be for some people):

1) If you are kid phobic, do not stay here. It is a pretty even mix of singles and families, but if kids annoy you or you prefer a more mature setting, stay somewhere else.
2) If you are a light sleeper, don't get a room over restaurant/bar. The music might keep you up. I was usually exhausted after my daily adventures, and slept like a log, so this did not bother me, even though I was on the first floor over the pool.

Anyways, ALHOA! Have a great stay! I really enjoyed this hotel.

4 Thank MerryMary1961
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2004

We have just returned from 10 days at the Aston and overall were disappointed. The hotel is focussed on families and for adults is really is not comparable to other less expensive 3 or 4 star hotels with similar views.

On the positive, we had an Oceanfront room which was great and better than many of the 'on the beach' hotels I have stayed at previously. The pool area could be improved with some greenery and shade umbrellas - you can easily get very sunburnt from the reflection off the bare concrete.

I found the breakfast very average with the selection being limited and not to the standard of buffet style offered elsewhere. Would suggest that the hotel make breakfast an optional extra in the tariff and open up the Tiki restaurant for full service for those who do not want small pre-packaged breakfast items.

The room cleaning service is not great - on more than one occasion our room was serviced after 3pm. It looked like that area was under resourced. Also, the bell staff downstairs do not offer to assist with taking bags from the bus (which let you off on the street) up to the hotel or the room so we were left to struggle with our bags from the footpath up the hotel driveway and escalators whilst the bell staff watched. Not great if you have a lot of luggage or are elderly. Also, the bell staff broke the handle off my luggage whilst storing on the last day and did not offer any apology at all. He just shrugged his shoulders and said accidents happen.

Finally, we also had a late evening flight and were told that there was no hospitality room . We were told to shower at the airport. We were also told that if we wanted a late checkout (which was not available) it would be an additional $100 and then was only to 6pm.

3 Thank Sundae1966
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2004

My wife and I returned from a trip to Oahu a couple days ago, having stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel.

I was very disappointed in the fact that we were allocated to a room (620) with an AC which could not be adjusted. I complained to the front desk and maintanance was sent up, but could not repair it. we were promised another room which on inspection I found unsatisfactory; so maintanance promised to fix the problem the next day. This never happened and so we spent five nights in a room where I had to manually turn the AC on and off, depending on the temperature.

Without going into further details, we found this situation totally disappointing (putting it mildly). I feel that this room should never have been offered to a guest, since I am convinced that the problem was known to maintenance and possibly to management as well. This really put a damper on our holiday, which was otherwise exceptional.

Under these circumstances we would hesitate to recommend this hotel to any acquaintance of ours.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2004

We stayed at the Aston from June 27-July 3 and found it to be a good deal and a great location. I found the breakfast on the beach to be fun and very accomodating--good food choices and plenty to eat. The hotel has beach towels and beach chairs that you can check out daily. The Aston is one of the few hotels on Waikiki Beach without an interrupted view of the ocean. There is no property in front of the hotel so you can easily view the sea. We were upgraded for no additional cost to a full oceanview room, which was well worth it. The views are stunning. I liked the little balconies. I spent my mornings with the newspaper, watching the waves roll in. It was quite peaceful. The hotel restaurants are good--Wolfgang Puck Express, Cold Stone and Tikis Bar and Grill. Tikis has live music and has a spirited environment. Also, several free trolleys and cheap trolleys ($2 per person) make their stops at the Aston. There is an Expedia person in the hotel lobby to help you book your day trips. I didn't pay for a five star hotel, so I didn't expect to stay in one. However, I was very pleased with the service, the pool, the environs and the aloha spirit. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2004
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Gatos, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2004

Stayed here July 1-9 and loved this hotel! We go to Hawaii about every 2 years and when we stay in Waikiki, we try and stay on the Diamond Head end to avoid all the congestion. We've stayed at several other hotels in that area, Queen Kapiloani, Grand Hotel, Pacific Beach Hotel and this was our favorite! The view was great, the pool was great, and a free breakfast was super. The room was consistent with other places we've stayed and our 7 year old loved the closet decor (we draped the beads over the closet rack and had no trouble with them). The Bathroom was newly remodeled and had a great showerhead.
It was easy to get towels and beach chairs to take to Waikiki Beach or on a drive to another beach. The staff was very courteous and our room was cleaned exceptionally well and early. We were originally given a room that had not been cleaned when we arrived at 9PM the first night and were upgraded to an OceanView room on the 21st floor.
It was a joy to wake up early and watch the surfers at Waikiki. All the shuttles had this hotel as one of their main stops so it was easy to get places.
We rented a car for a few days and didn't want to use the Valet parking. We parked right on the street in front of the hotel every night and didn't have to move the car early on Sunday or Monday because of the July 4th holiday and free parking.

We would definitely stay here again and we wouldn't say that about the other hotels we've stayed at in Waikiki.

3 Thank jaynesop
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2004

We stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel from July 2-5. It was a very pleasant stay. I will agree that the elevators are the number 1 area that needs improvement. They are extremely slow and there are not enough of them for the size of hotel it is. We had two balcony rooms on the sixth floor overlooking the pool area. They were very nice as they afforded us wonderful views of Waikiki, downtown Honolulu and the sunset over the western Ohau mountains. Since it was July 4th on Sunday of our stay, we got to see fireworks! From our balcony, we were treated to both the Pearl Harbor fireworks display in the distance and then the Ala Moana Shopping Center display closer to us. Very nice!
The only problem with these rooms are that they are right above the bar area and they have live performances until midnight. The music though was actually soothing and helped put us to sleep since it was not rock, but Hawaiian.
The newly renovated pool area is wonderful and the fact that you are right across the street from Waikiki beach is nice also. An added plus is that you can sign beach towels and beach chairs out for your use on the beach. I found the desk clerks to be helpful. I have to agree that room cleaning times leave something to be desired. We went on a tour at 6:30 a.m. and returned at 1:00 p.m. to find that our room had not yet been cleaned. She then came about an hour later and we had to vacate the room so that she could clean.
The restaurant, Tiki's, is very nice and reasonably priced for Waikiki. There are some nice shops on the ground level and the hotel location lends itself to great additional shopping in the area. It is also close to the Honolulu Zoo, Diamond Head and the park. The Waikiki Movies on the Beach take place on the beach right across from the hotel and the shuttle to the Ala Moana Shopping Mall has a pick-up station right in front of the hotel.
The hotel, like many in Waikiki, is older and the hall and room carpets are worn, but they do the best they can. The floor looked swept and the bathroom was clean and we got fresh towels each day. The large balconies are wonderful.
The only other negative that I want to point out is the bus pick-up area. Many tour busses and trolley's use the street just to the west of the hotel for pick-ups and drop offs. This can create quite a back-up on the street. It also creates havoc as you try to find your bus amongst a sea of similar looking vehicles. Perhaps a bus attendent could be stationed out there to either direct bus traffic OR at least keep track of what busses are out there to help direct people. There are also about a half dozen parking spaces on the street next to the hotel, perhaps those could be eliminated and that area used for additional bus or trolley stopping/loading areas.
We stayed at the Radisson Prince Kuhio the last time we were in Waikiki and enjoyed it too, but the Aston Waikiki Beach is now our first choice if we go back!

• Stayed July 2004