“Good Service”

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel
Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Good Service”
Reviewed 20 February 2006

Service and remodeling were great. It was fun. Two small problems were the popcorn ceilings and the size of the room. The room was tiny and much smaller than we had expected.
Overall ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Hotel added like a small treat to this great trip.
My family and I recommend this hotel. We won't be staying there on our next trip because we like trying to find the 'perfect hotel.'

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco California
Reviewed 8 February 2006

Ok, all I can say is..."you've got to be joking"!! If this hotel is rated #2, I must be missing something (or possibly the drugs that people are taking that rated this place that high). This hotel is an absolute joke and shouldn't rate higher than a Motel 6. Within 2 hours of my arrival, I was downstairs using the internet trying to see how much extra it would cost me to check into the Marriot or Sheraton down the block (both at least had curb appeal).

I'm not quite sure why location should go into the rating of a hotel but I can only assume for anyone that wrote a reveiw for this place, that was their only criteria on how they graded it, because that is the only thing that it has in it's favor. For starters, the pool is so small that if you kicked off of one end, you could easily reach the other side. The entire complex is antiquated and the rooms are a joke. Our room wasn't any bigger than our bedroom at home and the bathroom barely has enough space to put a travel bag. There is very little drawer space and the closet area has these beads hanging down (straight out of the 70's). There was a 27 inch tv in the room and a refrigerator. If you rent a car, you will pay $9 for self parking (about 200 yards from the Hotel) or $15 for valet (these are daily charges). There is no gym but they will sell you a pass for 24 Hour Fitness for $10. If you choose to go there and did rent a car, I suggest you take the drive downtown and use the facility near the Aloha Tower (this is the only nice 24 Hour Fitness in town). The 24 Hour Fitness down the street from the hotel can only be described as "Ghetto" for someone like myself that belongs to an incredibly nice gym back home.

I've gotten some great recommendations in the past from members of Trip Advisors (especially in Vegas), but the reviews listed for this hotel are completely inaccurate. I understand it's great to be in Hawaii, but don't confuse that with an awful hotel (which this one is). This was my third trip to Oahu/Waikiki and I am convinced that the only quality hotels on this island are the Turtle Bay Resort (quite a distance from Waikiki) or the Halekulani. I have also been to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Hawaii Prince (both superior to Resortquest but still overated).

• Stayed February 2006
28 Thank bodyforlife
Reviewed 6 February 2006

The service here is terrible. The valet's dented my car and the management said they had no responsibility. Any company with this poor customer service should not exist. Other than this maltreatment, the hotel is dingy looking and very dirty.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2006

After reading some of the reports about this hotel I
thought I’d made a big mistake booking this hotel. We
stayed in this hotel in September. Well, the people
who wrote some of the negative reports, I don’t know
where they stayed as it took us about 10 minutes at
the most to book in and the receptionist was very
helpful. We got a room in the tower on the 16th floor
with a sea view. It was a room with two double beds,
we don’t mind as we only sleep in a double bed at
home. It was clean, nothing hanging off the walls as
some people had mentioned. We did have one problem
during our stay but we rang maintenance and within ½
hour it was sorted. Breakfast wasn’t as bad as some
people mentioned. We found it OK for us. It saved us
having to find somewhere to eat for breakfast and
saved us money. We would stay at this hotel again as
it is in a nice spot, just across the road to the
beach. The hotel provided their guests with beach
towels and beach chairs to take to the beach each day
if they wanted them, They even gave guests cool bags
to take their breakfast out and eat on the beach which
some people did.
We went to the Sea Life Park Luau which was new, and
which we enjoyed as we had a chance to look around the
park and see some of the sea life that they have. We
were given a drink as we went in. We were
entertained with a Dolphin show, along with some sea
lions and penguins.
We were taught an Hawaiian dance which was good for a
laugh. We, then went to a part of the park called the
meadow, where we had our meal which was good, as I am
a fussy eater and I found plenty to eat. We were given
another free drink while we watched the Polynesian
Extravaganza, a show full of Hawaiian song and dance.
This was a very good presentation and I would
recommend the Sea Life Park Luau. It was the first
year of doing it and very well presented.
We went to Pearl Harbour and on a City Tour in the
Duck. we got to Pearl harbour at 9am and got our
tickets for 10.45 , It wasn’t too bad as it gave us
time to have a good look around the museum. Then we
went across to the memorial and it felt eerie and very
quiet, even though there were lots of people about,
but it was worth seeing. We enjoyed the Pearl Harbour
trip, but we were disappointed with the Duck trip
afterwards. Wouldn’t recommend the Duck tour.
We also did the Atlantis Submarine trip, which we
found interesting and we saw plenty of fish and
turtles. And we even saw a shark. I would recommend
this trip.

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank Cliolady
Reviewed 24 January 2006

Stayed here for 5 nights. Booked through travel agency so could not cancel when realised hotel was not a modern hotel. Paid for a very good view. This was the only positive aspect of hotel.

• Stayed October 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 January 2006

The location of this hotel is all it has going for it.
Our room was small, had tacky decor and could have used some updating. The seal on the sliding glass door was not tight and the wind whistled through it nonstop. It made me think I was at home, in Central New York, in the middle of a blizzard. We were on the 17th floor, on an end, in a portion of the hotel that has an outdoor corridor (yes, 17 floors up!!) I'm sure this contributed to the whistling problem. In fact, it was so windy and cold up there we could not enjoy our lanai with partial ocean view of Waikiki Beach at all the 4 night we were there.

The staff were not especially friendly or helpful with the exception of 1 person at the front desk who gave us a bus map and advice on where to catch the bus to various places, and where the best place to buy gifts, souvenirs, etc. was.

The breakfast buffet that came with the price of the room was not that good, and I am usually of the mind that it is hard to ruin breakfast.

It's not the worst place I've stayed in, but I think I'd try another hotel next time or definitely ask for a room in a different part of the hotel.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 12 January 2006

First of all, I want to clarify about which hotel we stayed at. There are three hotels within 4 blocks of each other with similar names. There is the ResortQuest Waikiki Beachside, ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Tower, and ResortQuest Waikiki Beach. The first two are connected to each other, this review is for the third hotel RESORTQUEST WAIKIKI BEACH. I noticed some of the bad reviews are for the tower, which is actually a different property.

The ResortQuest Waikiki Beach (formerly Aston Waikiki Beach) is a former budget hotel that's been "updated" with a bunch of cheezy Hawaii themed things. The rooms are nothing to speak of (there was some chipped paint and wallpaper scratched off) but it is CLEAN and the location is unbelievable.

LOCATION: You are right at one end of Waikiki Beach and you can easily walk to all the shops, other hotels and tons of restaurants. The hotel is right in front of a protected part of the beach where they have put a barrier in the ocean so there are no waves (great for sm kids, I'm sure). We wanted to surf and only had to walk down a little to the part of the beach where the surfing was. The hotel is also on a corner where there is a main bus line, if you want to take public transportation.

FOOD/DRINK: 1. The hotel has its' own restaurant called the Tiki Lounge. It is really great. The chef is formerly of the Palomino and it is good Hawaiian food for a good price. We're pretty big foodies and ate at Tiki's three times because our food was always so good. Go for the Mahi Mahi. Yummers. The Chocolate dessert was one of the best desserts I have ever had. It was shaped like Diamond Head. Also, if you pick up an Oahu coupon book in the lobby of the hotel, there is a coupon for a free cheesecake at Tiki's with entree purchase. 2. Breakfast on the Beach is the breakfast that is served to all guests of this hotel at no extra charge. A real plus and easy way to get everyone full before you start your day. The food is hottest when breakfast starts at 6:30am. Get there early! It's cereal, some egg dish, and something sweet along with juice, coffee, and Japanese food (fish & miso soup). Simple, but good for free. 3. There is also a Wolfgang Puck Express in this hotel. Wonderful for lunch or a quick, cheap supper. Very consistant in it's goodness. Has all the Puck staples: sandwiches, soups, salads, and pizza. 4. Starbucks is around the corner in the same building. Gotta' have the Starbucks! Cold Stone Ice Cream is also next door to Wolfgang if you need more calories.

ROOM: Again, it was very clean and the maid service is amazing. The rooms themselves are pretty small, but you're not there to hang in the room. There is a lanai in each room, but only one chair, so don't plan to have a romantic dinner on your balcony. There is a safe in the room, but you have to pay $3/ day to use it. FYI.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Poor! Keith who works the front desk is horrible. When we checked in, he told us he had some availabilities for upgrades and then paused. When we thought he was going to upgrade us he said "I would do it for you for $40." I said "A day?!" and he said yes. No way. Lame to not just upgrade us to a better room for no charge. Then, we wanted to take the bus to the Diamond Head crater and Keith gave us the wrong bus # (which wasn't operating during the holidays)and we waited for an hour with 10 other people who had followed Keith's instrtuction before splitting cabs. Finally, when we wanted to rent a car for the day, Keith told us to use the hotel's service. When we went to inquire about one, the lady told us there weren't any available and that we would need to book a tour in order to see what we wanted. We said no, walked down to the Hyatt, and rented one there. Do not use the services at this hotel, you will get a better deal at the Hyatt or book something on your own before you leave if you want to snorkel or see Pearl Harbor or something. And don't ask any questions of Keith. He won't help you.

All in all, this was a good hotel for people who want to get out and do things. Don't come here on your honeymoon. It's not romantic. Do come here with families. Do come here with teenagers. Do come here as couples looking for a good price on a good location.

Mahalo! Good luck with your travels.

34 Thank GenxGem