“Overall great but not for everybody”

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel
Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Denver
Reviewed 9 March 2006

I really, really want to give this hotel a better rating but due to a few issues I can't.

First the good things.

This hotel is in the best location in Waikiki, especially if you have small children. It is right across the street from the zoo and the park. The beach right in front has the walls which stop the waves creating a pool which is perfect for the kids. If you like waves there is plenty of them just on the other side of the concrete pier. In my opinion this is the best of both worlds. While still a very busy place we found it to be less busy than central Waikiki and still in walking distance of plenty of restaurants and shopping.
The hotel itself is very nice (for waikiki) and the staff was VERY friendly. Our ocean view room was small (this seems typical for waikiki hotels) but big enough that we did not go crazy. We actually used our lanai to store things like beach toys and other outdoor items giving us a little more space in the room. The hotel offers a computer center with computers complete with webcams and internet access. There is also free wi-fi available if you bring your own computer. This was not an advretised feature and I was very surprised to see such nice ammenity.

Now for the issues.

This hotel has a nice pool and deck that we would loved to have used. Like many people, we were away form the hotel during the daytime hours spending time at the beach or enjoying the many sights that Oahu has to offer. On several occasions we would liked to have spent time (especially the kids) during the evening at the pool. This, however, was impossible due to the fact that the pool closes at 7:00 p.m. every evening. Very poor timing. If I wanted spend my DAYS hanging around the pool I would have just booked a hotel where I live and saved the time and money going to Hawaii. If your room is on the west side of the hotel, do not plan on going to bed early. Tikis bar and grill, located right below your room, is very active and goes past 11:00 p.m. They have live entertainment nightly and a large crowd that likes to yell a lot (mstly drunk people). To make matters worse, the seals on the sliding glass doors are poor and you get all the noise whether you like it our not.
Overall,a great hotel with the best location but, unless you like to party a lot and don't mind a noisy hotel, I would use caution.

• Stayed: March 2006
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,006)

Reviewed 6 March 2006

I stayed 2/19 - 2/23 in 1504 with an ocean view (I could see some of the ocean but my sister's view from 2327 was beautiful) the room was decent enough but the ice maker was right outside the door - very loud and annoying. When the a/c was on it smelled like someone was smoking a cigarette on the other side of the vent. I tried to keep the lanai door open at night for fresh air but the music and loud drunk people from Tiki's kept me awake. If you like to go to bed before 10:00 - do not stay at this hotel! The restaurants were very good and the breakfast was fine, enough of a selection for anyone. The pool was on the small size but we didn't spend much time there since it was always in the shade. My sister was very happy with her room so I guess it just depends on the room you end up with. I, however, will not be staying there again.

12  Thank towerdiva
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2006

Hotel was nice and the rooms clean. Everytime we left something in the car at the parkade it was gone when we came back. When we parked on the street it was not a problem. It was valet parking and the staff had the keys when car was parked in parkade. I can only wonder. So don't leave stuff in your car.

• Stayed: May 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 February 2006

After booking this hotel. We saw these reviews and were kind of nervous. But once we got there we were wondering what they were complaining about --we got a really clean room..2 doubles..9th floor..no bugs..a decent maid for the week...it was decorate like a smaller scale hotel nothing fancy but it was pleasant enough--yes the rooms are very small..and you cannot sit on your balcony--or at least not ours--we had a partial ocean view/diamond head view but you will get plenty of diamond head by the end of your vacation.
For our lsat day..they switched us to an inside room facing the pool for an extra chrge of $75 because of our late checkout but we expected that charge. Th room had 2 singles and a beautiful view of the west side of the hotel/ocean. You could sit on this lanai. Everything here costs extra so so don't expect anything but what you see. Tiki's is pricey but awesome--jeff and mike the day bartenders are awesome--holla -- Lulu's around the corner is very,very good and the coldstone creamery is awesome but very pricey--a small is --like it $5.19 plus tax we did get bored with the included breakfast but we ate it anyway--it was included and the kids didn't mind -i don't eat breakfast anyway. It was truly not the hotel that was dissappointing but the island itself. Our hotel was ideally located across the street from the amazingly small/skinny beach..it may have been 10' wide but it is on the edge of a huge hustle and bustle city.It is still beautiful but rain dampened our spirits almost every day. I found the majority of the activities to be so disappointing and way over priced. The biggest disappointment was our day on the ko'olina cat catamaran. Although the captain and crew were awesome..we should definitely gotten a refund--we expected to see whales, dolphins sea turtles and some great snorkeling for $99 per person we had a coupon so we got 2 @$99 ans 2 @ $69
total with tax was like $338+ They took us to electric island(sound safe to you ) to snorkel ther was nothing to see there but sand and some premature foggy coral--no fish, no turtles, no dolphins at all and then came the rain !!!OH MY GOD..it was aweful.We were just going in for the day when out of nowhere a spout of water was spotted far far away--so the captain took us to try to see the whale which no one actually identified to my knowledge...so needless to say our garaunteed money back plan was squashed and we were wet , sad and now we were late for our bus !!As you can expect,the story only goes downhill from there...needless to say that particular lunch cost us a fortune !! no money was offered to us either !!!! The next day our luau was cancelled due to terential rains on the west side of the island. We did manage to see Pearl Harbor earlier that day that was nice and it was almost free--We rescheduled the luau for thurs evening and it was worth all $349 it cost !!
We loved Paradise Cove and cousin Linden is awesome !!! The food is great the entertainment is out of this world, the sunset was amazing --it was truly the highlight of our trip !! and Holly--our bartender was great too ! My son and my husband parasailed with extreme parasailers--they were great ! atlantis submarine was very dissapointing and once again $90.04 per person (i swear everything is almost $100 per person) We rented a convertible and toured the island !! THAT was awesome although it was hard to find things as nothing is clearly marked,but giovanni's shrimp guy does have the best shrimp(scampi style ) and the scenery is hard to explain with words--breathtakingly beautiful !!! Thank GOD as it was close to our last day
THANKS OAHU FOR THE $7000 EDUCATION/VACATION. THANKS BUT NO THANKS TO OAHU --SORRY WE'LL STICK TO THE CARIBBEAN--IT'S CLOSER TO HOME

12  Thank ftbtmgrl
Liverpool, England
Reviewed 22 February 2006

We had a cruise booked from Honolulu so stayed at the Hotel before and after the cruise.
Booked the same category room for both stays
Ocean View with Balcony
First stay great room on the 7th floor directly overlooking the Swimming Pool / Tikki Bar. Room number 15 I believe
Noisy of a night but not disturbingly so
2nd Stay we were given room number 1 again on the 7th floor
Poor room, no views but hotel full so couldn't change
I would recommend this hotel we enjoyed our stay in Hawaii but make sure you get Ocean Front or Ocean View with a high number.
Completely avoid the annex, we didn't stay there but people who did said the rooms were poor, dirty and noisy

• Stayed: October 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Irvine, Califronia
Reviewed 20 February 2006

Service and remodeling were great. It was fun. Two small problems were the popcorn ceilings and the size of the room. The room was tiny and much smaller than we had expected.
Overall ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Hotel added like a small treat to this great trip.
My family and I recommend this hotel. We won't be staying there on our next trip because we like trying to find the 'perfect hotel.'

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 February 2006

Ok, all I can say is..."you've got to be joking"!! If this hotel is rated #2, I must be missing something (or possibly the drugs that people are taking that rated this place that high). This hotel is an absolute joke and shouldn't rate higher than a Motel 6. Within 2 hours of my arrival, I was downstairs using the internet trying to see how much extra it would cost me to check into the Marriot or Sheraton down the block (both at least had curb appeal).

I'm not quite sure why location should go into the rating of a hotel but I can only assume for anyone that wrote a reveiw for this place, that was their only criteria on how they graded it, because that is the only thing that it has in it's favor. For starters, the pool is so small that if you kicked off of one end, you could easily reach the other side. The entire complex is antiquated and the rooms are a joke. Our room wasn't any bigger than our bedroom at home and the bathroom barely has enough space to put a travel bag. There is very little drawer space and the closet area has these beads hanging down (straight out of the 70's). There was a 27 inch tv in the room and a refrigerator. If you rent a car, you will pay $9 for self parking (about 200 yards from the Hotel) or $15 for valet (these are daily charges). There is no gym but they will sell you a pass for 24 Hour Fitness for $10. If you choose to go there and did rent a car, I suggest you take the drive downtown and use the facility near the Aloha Tower (this is the only nice 24 Hour Fitness in town). The 24 Hour Fitness down the street from the hotel can only be described as "Ghetto" for someone like myself that belongs to an incredibly nice gym back home.

I've gotten some great recommendations in the past from members of Trip Advisors (especially in Vegas), but the reviews listed for this hotel are completely inaccurate. I understand it's great to be in Hawaii, but don't confuse that with an awful hotel (which this one is). This was my third trip to Oahu/Waikiki and I am convinced that the only quality hotels on this island are the Turtle Bay Resort (quite a distance from Waikiki) or the Halekulani. I have also been to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Hawaii Prince (both superior to Resortquest but still overated).

28  Thank bodyforlife