“This hotel is a gem for the budget minded!”

Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel
Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Bremerton, Washington
“This hotel is a gem for the budget minded!”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Waikiki Beachside the second week in February, 2011. We had read that this hotel was one of the best of the budget hotels and it was really great. It is right across from the street from the beach, located centrally on the strip. The room was not huge but it had a wonderful view of the beach and it was decorated in an Asian theme. The bathroom was really pretty and it had an awesome shower. This review would not be complete without saying that one of the best things about this hotel is absolutely the staff. They went out of their way to make our stay a good one. In all our years staying at different hotels we have never had such excellent maid service. Each day our room was sparkling clean. The staff in the lobby even took our microwave popcorn into their staff lounge to pop it for us when we asked if there was a common microwave. They were so friendly and helpful. We stayed the whole 7 days without renting a car because we could walk so many places from our room. Some things to keep in mind when you go there, there was not a lanai but the windows opened up so we had lots of fresh air. There is only 1 elevator but we never had much of a wait and the hotel was full. Also, this hotel did not have a pool or hot tub but we spent our time on the beach or at Hunauma Bay snorkeling or jumping off a catamaran while we were whale watching. My husband and I had a great time and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay at the beach in a good location while on a budget.

Bob + Tricia N.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lillyjane56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I booked one of the lowest price room which did not have any view and knew about it from the discription (interior room) and was 100% satisfied. If you need a room with a view pay more for a room with partial ocean or ocean front view. If you just want a nice place to sleep and spend all your times outdoor then interior room will be your best value at this location.

Thsi hotel is located right next to the Hyatt Waikiki and across the street from the main part of Waikiki Beach. One of the best location you can get in Waikiki. Location! Location! Location! if you want to be in Waikiki Beach Area. Compare the cost of "name brand" hotels next door and you will see this hotel is one of the best cost for the location.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank SeattlePoidog
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2011

My wife and I spent four nights at the Aston Waikiki Beachside and were very impressed with the accommodations. It's a small, barebones boutique hotel, so there aren't a lot of frills or perks, but it's an excellent value.

We stayed in a Standard Interior Room, meaning the room did not have a window. While I'm sure the view from the more expensive rooms is lovely, we didn't plan on spending a lot of time indoors. The room's door is a little different than you might expect: it's has large, frosted/translucent louvered glass panels that allow light in from the hallway (which itself is more like an open balcony that links the rooms on the floor). You can't see anything through the window, so privacy is not a concern, but it does allow enough light through so the room doesn't feel entirely shut off.

The room itself was cozy, which was perfect for our needs. There are plenty of mirrors and a nice tile floor. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was well-sized and clean. Noise was moderate. The hotel is on the main drag through Waikiki so there's some degree of street noise, and neighboring guests or housekeepers passing by the door can be heard, but there's not a lot of indoor traffic.

The Aston Waikiki Beachside is perfectly situated. The beach is right across the street. Out the front door to the right, the street leads to chic shopping and eateries; to the left, you'll find more moderately priced options and touristy spots. Down the left, we highly recommend Cheeseburger in Paradise for cheap breakfast (the hotel does not provide breakfast) and Yogurtland for incredible frozen yogurt. There is an ABC (Convenience) Store right next to the hotel, which has everything you might need during your stay. There are ABC Stores literally every other block along the Avenue through Waikiki.

The Standard Interior Room is a great choice for travelers on a budget. Though it lacks a window and has an unorthodox door, it was a nice place to rest in between trips to the beach and dinners out. The hotel's location is unparalleled, truly exceptional. The staff at the Aston Waikiki Beachside was friendly, helpful, and courteous. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed 12 February 2011

My parent have stayed here several times in the past. This was my first stay here and the location is amazing! The hotel staff--Douglas,Lav and the entire staff where so welcoming and helpful with anything,from taxi,activities,places to eat,etc...always an "Aloha" when they see you in the lobby. This hotel is small,no frill,boutique style located just perfect on Waikiki! I would definitely recommend to a friend and would stay there again...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
US
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Great location to sit on balcony and people watch and view the gorgeous sunsets over the water. Right on the beach (across the street). walk to everything. Buses 2 blocks away and for seniors you can go all over the island for $ 1 including a transfer. cable tv, hair dryer, no coffee maker. Collin, at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Rooms small, but comfy. Street noise below. We took a back location for quiet on recommendation from a friend and wish we hadn't. there was only 1 chair, and no window. we could however see the beach from just outside our room in an open hall, but there were no chairs there. elevator slow and small and dingy and stairs the same, but looked like they were in the process of renovating all over. small common rooms but never seemed crowded.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
seattle
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I have never stayed in such a poor quality hotel. I have been to 3rd world countries that have hotels in much better shape than this dump. I was promised a room with a balcony. I was not given a room with a balcony and was told all other rooms were filled, even though it was specifically in my reservation that I was paying for a room with a balcony.

Furthermore, the room did not even have a solid door on it. All of the other rooms have a solid wood door. The room I was given has louvered windows on the door which means anyone can slide one pane up and open the door and come right in. This means I could not leave my computer, my camera, or anything in my room. The hotel says there is a safe in the room, and there is, however it is not even big enough to hold my 35mm camera.

The ceiling in the guest room was covered (completely covered) with mold and mildew which is a health hazard and against health codes.

The hotel advertises they have free wi-fi. They have NO internet in the rooms, only wifi that works in the 200sq ft lobby where there are no chairs, tables, or outlets for quests to use.

This hotel was so low rate it did not even have a vending machine for soda pop.

I will never stay at another AQUA owned property again.

Some reviews say this hotel is a good deal for the price. IT IS NOT!!! There are much better deals in this city than being stuck in a moldy room, with no security, and no balcony.

I had to call the health department to inspect my room before the hotel would even consider letting me move to another room. They would do nothing about refunding my money. This is also very poor customer service. I suggest you find another place if you value your belongings and your health.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank struct84

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Aqua used to manage this property and Aston came in on 1-1-11. I hope they will do a better job. The place is rotting with mold on the bathroom walls and the sheetrock crumbling. It is NOT clean. My toilet didn't work since the angle stop needed replacing but the maint people would only jiggle it until it would work for awhile again, the A/C unit was loud and way too hot or cold and in between all the time. The vertical blinds were broken and I had to align each strip twice a day which they would not replace. If water gets on the floor, it as slippery as ice. If you like camping, this may be OK for you. The rooms are very small. Too small for several days with another person. In some rooms, your "view" is looking out the louvers in your front door. I manage apartment complexes and if this was my property, I would fire the mgmt co. and change my advertising to more accurately reflect the property as what is on the net is just plain misleading.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo