“A thoroughly pleasant experience”

Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel
Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Jersey, United Kingdom
“A thoroughly pleasant experience”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

There is no doubt that visitors are spoiled for choice where accommodation in Waikiki is concerned and it is very easy to understand how people get into a pickle and confuse similarly named hotels. However, with the readily available help of Google Earth and Street View, we plumped for the Beachside as it was exactly where we wanted to be and it was not a huge impersonal tower block where we would be numbered amongst thousands.

As far as we were concerned this hotel was just fine. There were concerns before we left home that the negative reports on the internet were indicating a poor choice on our part, but an exchange of emails with Kevin the Guest Services Supervisor put our minds at rest and we knew as soon as we arrived, that we had landed on our feet.

The hotel probably dates back to the 1960s or early 70s but the room we were in was fresh and clean and no smaller than any other hotel room we have stayed in. The bathroom fittings were modern and the shower efficient and nice and easy to use. We had a full sea-view which was more than we expected and the good sized balcony overlooking the beach got no shortage of use. The air conditioning made the room bearable and we very quickly settled into these comfortable surroundings.

The Front Desk staff were exceptional: our holiday was enhanced by their kindness and their willingness to chat. Lave even played his ukulele on the Front Desk - unique and charming. Larissa gave us a great insight into life on the islands.The room was serviced daily and there was no shortage of toiletries and towels with extras available on demand.

We spoke with many fellow guests, not one of whom expressed discontent although some spoke disappointedly about having a rear-facing room. However, when questioned further they admitted booking the cheapest room-grade, so wise up guys – you only get what you pay for!

The down side for us? Nothing major really. The poor old fridge in our room laboured mightily to combat the climate but not so much that it prevented sleep. A global bugbear of mine is the cost of in-room wi-fi. We pay $20 a month at home for a high-spec wi-fi link – the hotel wants $10 a day for the same thing. We used the free one in the lobby but it is nice to be able to Skype home in privacy!

The single elevator came in for a few moans on the internet reviews: in the fortnight we were there we can honestly say that we were never once inconvenienced by this and we were on the 12th floor!

To sum up: if you want an intimate hotel which exudes a friendly atmosphere from every brick, a hotel handy for most of the Waikiki day and night life and a lack of pretention then go here. We will go back. However, if you are looking for a Five Star chain hotel with bars and restaurants and a pool and two thousand fellow guests with anonymous staff then stay away.

Room Tip: Front facing and higher floor room so you can see the ocean over the tree opposite!
3 Thank MikeP55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle
Reviewed 22 September 2013

There are many Aston hotels in Honolulu & I had thought our reservations were for a different property. This one is difficult to find, as the front is wedged in between an ABC store & another store. Once we found it, we were able to drop our bags off & pull the car around the block for the valet only parking. The hotel is older, but still charming. Our room on the 5th floor had a spectacular view of the banyan tree & beach & I'm sure the higher floors had better views.

The best features of the Aston Beachside is the fact that is directly across the street from the beach and the regular front desk person, a gentleman named Lave. Lave was absolutely incredible! He is such an engaging person, very welcoming and generous with his recommendations. We love to find those non-touristy places to eat & he turned us onto the Like-Like drive in, which isn't a drive in any more. It's a sit down diner with huge portions & low prices. Both times we went, we were the only non-Islanders there. Lave even brought in his ukelele and played & sang 'Happy Birthday' to me for my special day. When I realized my phone wans't recording his performance, he indulged me & repeated his performance so I could video it. Such a wonderful person! I honestly don't know that I would return to this hotel if he weren't working there still.

Room Tip: the ocean front rooms are wonderful & worth it. It was great to sit on the balcony with a cockt...
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Where do I start! I thought this would be a great place because it is located across the street from Waikiki beach. I was so wrong! I arrived early, but had to wait over 9 hours to get the worst room I have ever had to stay in. They don't tell you that you will have to pay for parking ($22.00/Day) and internet ($10.00/Day in room) when you make your reservation... While I was waiting for my room I asked the front desk clerk if I could charge my Macbook and use the internet, it is free if you stay in the lobby, My issue was that the receptacle was not grounded and it fried my charger and cord (over $80.00) and I still did not have a room yet and at this point I have already been up 43 hours, so none of it was really sinking in. When I told the Manager about the receptacle, He shrugged his shoulders and walked out the front door to go to lunch, and the desk clerk left to go smoke a cigaret. I finally got a room when Kevin the manager returned from lunch. As I sat in the lobby and watched other people getting their rooms I started to boil, shame on them. And it gets worse I finally get my dirty and molding room, I go out on the Lani to see my first view of Waikiki Hawaii is a tan painted wall. As I said if they did not have their location no-one would stay at this dirty outdated hotel. And in the end they did not charge me for parking($44.00), I think to cover some of the cost of the new cord, but that did not matter, because the valet attendants damaged the driver-side back bumper, so then I had to deal with a police department and that whole thing with the rental company. :(

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank smartin411
Kevin W, Front Office Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Aloha:
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us!
First of all, please be advised that my name is Kevin Wong and I am the Guest Service Supervisor. Although I was not in the office when you stayed with us (I was off on Thursday and Friday), please allow me the time to address your issues with the hope that you can understand the situation a little better.

The standard check-in time at the Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel is 3:00pm. Of course, should a guests room be ready prior to that time, my staff would be more than happy to allow them access to their room; however, please note rooms are not serviced in any particular order nor by certain room categories, therefore we are unable to guarantee check-ins until 3:00pm.

The Moderate category, which you booked for, offers guests a private lanai. Although it may not offer much of a view, it is quite a difference when compared to our Standard category. Our Standard rooms, sold at an unbelievably low nightly rate for a hotel on the Waikiki "strip," does not offer a lanai nor a view yet it is still a popular room category for many travelers.

Our Housekeeping Department works tirelessly day in and day out and I can guarantee you that your room was serviced to our standard and I can also reassure you that the Housekeeping Supervisor on duty triple checked the room before you checked in. With regards to the overall conditions of the Hotel, please be advised that Aston Hotels & Resorts took over Management of the property in 2011 and have been making slight improvements since. Until we are able to work directly with the Owners and make larger changes, we are pleased to offer our guests incredible nightly rates as mentioned earlier.

My sincerest apologies if your phone charger somehow malfunctioned while in-house with us. I was glad to hear that my Agent on duty took care of your parking charges for the inconvenience as Customer Service is extremely key in our day to day operations.

Thank you once again!
Byron Bay
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed here in July 2013 for 4 days & had the best stay on the tail end of a longer trip to the Big Island. I was in Waikiki to surf & my friend & I loved this hotel for its location, location, location. We had a deluxe ocean view room on the 10t floor looking down on the 'Queen's' Break right in front & perfect view of all the surf breaks right out to 'Pops'. Mahalo to the hotel staff! You were so friendly & helpful, we felt like we were staying with family :) We hired nice longboards from the Moku Surf guys just around the corner & hotel staff were happy for us to keep our boards in the ground floor lounge, so it was literally a hop, skip & jump to be in the water! Love this hotel...I would come back & stay any time & would love a week here! There is an ABC store right next door for sushi, cheap drinks & salads; plus its a short walk to International Market for great dinner choices on a budget.

Room Tip: Stay above the 8th floor if you want a million dollar view; there is a big banyan tree right in fron...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank faeriebug
paris
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stay in Aston just for one night.The reseption gerl was very friendly and helpful. The room was small but clean. The furniture is in need of replacing. The hotel and the furniture have been there quite some time. The location is great. As soon as you could get your shorts on, you cross the street and on the beach.Wonderful view from balcony.There are plenty of cafes, food joints and shops just outside on Kalakaua.
It probably is the best value beach fronting hotel in Waikiki.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dtshura
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

i stayed here in 2011 and going back next year had a ocean view room on 9th floor. staff were friendly and very helpful. room was cleaned everyday. great location. only problem i had was no tea or coffee facilities and air con was a little load when trying to sleep. im taking my own kettle next time, but there is a abc store on ground floor which you can buy tea and coffee from. for the location and views would highly recommend your in hawaii you dont spend all day in your room!

Room Tip: ocean view if you want a view
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
San Ramon, California
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Just got back from Oahu, and spent 7 nights at the Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, 9/2/13-9/9/13. I was very apprehensive, having read some rather negative reviews about this place, but those fears were never realized.

We had no problem finding the Beachside. Drove in from the airport, and found it right away. Saw it from a block away, and it looks just like it does in the pictures, plus the address is clearly marked and visible from the street. There is a small loading zone right in front of the hotel, and I parked there for a couple minutes and ran in to get directions to the valet parking, which is right around the corner, next to Macdonald's, perhaps 100 yards away.

We checked in at the front desk with no problems. I booked this on hotels.com for $104 a night for a non-ocean view room, and upon check-in. everything was in order. We were given room 707. The room was clean, with a king size bed, as I requested. Yes, the place is dated, the furnishings were dated, the tv was old, there was no counter space to put anything and the room was small but it was CLEAN, as was the bathroom. The room was cleaned daily, with fresh sheets and towels provided daily as well. And the bed was comfortable. I slept like a baby! Since we were in the back of the building, our balcony had an excellent view of the outside wall of the hotel next door, plus the pool and spa. The air conditioner was actually a bit too cold for me, but that was not an issue that couldn't be addressed by turning it off for a while.

Enough cannot be said about the location of the Aston Beachside. it's right across the street from Waikiki beach. Made it easy to go to the beach every morning (and sometimes in the afternoon too!). Plus there are tons of restaurants of all kinds within a few minutes walk. And Kalakaua Ave. is a virtual shopping center with everything from inexpensive items at the International Marketplace to expensive shops like Ugg, Givenchy and Gucci, all within 10-15 minutes by foot.

I still can't understand all the negative reviews. Perhaps people are confused by all the different Aston Hotels. Perhaps certain rooms are worse than others. Perhaps peoples' expectations are too high. Please remember: this is a 2 star hotel, NOT a 3 star, NOT a 4 star, and NOT a 5 star. you get what you pay for; I got a clean room in a great location.

6 Thank Rob M