“Great beachside value!”

Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Perth, Australia
“Great beachside value!”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

After reading the many negative reviews on Tripadvisor, I was really worried about this hotel and thought about switching many times before we left for Hawaii. I'm glad we didn't! The hotel is basic with no restaurant, pool, gym or room service, but I knew this before we arrived so I wasn't expecting much. We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor and it was fantastic for our 3 nught stay. We had a great view from our little balcony of the beach, and could see the Polynesian performance under the banyan tree perfectly. We enjoyed quite a few beers people watching and seeing the sunset from the balcony. The room itself was small, but we were barely in the room except to sleep and the bathroom was more than suffice for what we needed. The wifi worked perfectly in both the room and in the open air sitting area. The only small gripe I had with the room was that the aircon could be a bit cooler. The location of the hotel can't be beat - right across from the beach and a short walk to the many bars and restaurants around Waikiki. If you want value for money, a great location and don't care too much about the room or hotel facilities, then the Aston Waikiki beachside is more than good enough.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view or oceanfront, the view is worth it!
4 Thank KTouchstone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This a very nice hotel. The pictures on their website were different compared to the room we stayed in. The pictures made the room look outdated, but the room was actually nicer than the pictures online. It is in a great location (a little difficult to find when first arriving) just across from Waikiki Beach. The mini fridge was much bigger than we were expecting, which was a plus. The staff was very friendly and went our of their way to help with any needs. Housekeeping was very thorough with cleaning. The rooms were just a bit small, but big enough for a couple. Unfortunately, they only offer valet parking, which was a little pricey, and you have to go to the next street to park. We were out and about most of the time, so we were only in our room to sleep. Overall, it was a nice place to stay.

4 Thank Jamie920
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

I spent 4 nights here. After reading some of the reviews I arrived with trepidation.
My room had two single beds however the view was amazing! Was on level 10 so street noise was practically non-existent.
The rooms are not fancy but who cares, they are clean and tidy. The staff (front desk and housekeeping) were fantastic. I would stay there again if I ever get the opportunity to visit Waikiki again.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Sheln81
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

There is no doubt that visitors are spoiled for choice where accommodation in Waikiki is concerned and it is very easy to understand how people get into a pickle and confuse similarly named hotels. However, with the readily available help of Google Earth and Street View, we plumped for the Beachside as it was exactly where we wanted to be and it was not a huge impersonal tower block where we would be numbered amongst thousands.

As far as we were concerned this hotel was just fine. There were concerns before we left home that the negative reports on the internet were indicating a poor choice on our part, but an exchange of emails with Kevin the Guest Services Supervisor put our minds at rest and we knew as soon as we arrived, that we had landed on our feet.

The hotel probably dates back to the 1960s or early 70s but the room we were in was fresh and clean and no smaller than any other hotel room we have stayed in. The bathroom fittings were modern and the shower efficient and nice and easy to use. We had a full sea-view which was more than we expected and the good sized balcony overlooking the beach got no shortage of use. The air conditioning made the room bearable and we very quickly settled into these comfortable surroundings.

The Front Desk staff were exceptional: our holiday was enhanced by their kindness and their willingness to chat. Lave even played his ukulele on the Front Desk - unique and charming. Larissa gave us a great insight into life on the islands.The room was serviced daily and there was no shortage of toiletries and towels with extras available on demand.

We spoke with many fellow guests, not one of whom expressed discontent although some spoke disappointedly about having a rear-facing room. However, when questioned further they admitted booking the cheapest room-grade, so wise up guys – you only get what you pay for!

The down side for us? Nothing major really. The poor old fridge in our room laboured mightily to combat the climate but not so much that it prevented sleep. A global bugbear of mine is the cost of in-room wi-fi. We pay $20 a month at home for a high-spec wi-fi link – the hotel wants $10 a day for the same thing. We used the free one in the lobby but it is nice to be able to Skype home in privacy!

The single elevator came in for a few moans on the internet reviews: in the fortnight we were there we can honestly say that we were never once inconvenienced by this and we were on the 12th floor!

To sum up: if you want an intimate hotel which exudes a friendly atmosphere from every brick, a hotel handy for most of the Waikiki day and night life and a lack of pretention then go here. We will go back. However, if you are looking for a Five Star chain hotel with bars and restaurants and a pool and two thousand fellow guests with anonymous staff then stay away.

Room Tip: Front facing and higher floor room so you can see the ocean over the tree opposite!
3 Thank MikeP55
Seattle
Reviewed 22 September 2013

There are many Aston hotels in Honolulu & I had thought our reservations were for a different property. This one is difficult to find, as the front is wedged in between an ABC store & another store. Once we found it, we were able to drop our bags off & pull the car around the block for the valet only parking. The hotel is older, but still charming. Our room on the 5th floor had a spectacular view of the banyan tree & beach & I'm sure the higher floors had better views.

The best features of the Aston Beachside is the fact that is directly across the street from the beach and the regular front desk person, a gentleman named Lave. Lave was absolutely incredible! He is such an engaging person, very welcoming and generous with his recommendations. We love to find those non-touristy places to eat & he turned us onto the Like-Like drive in, which isn't a drive in any more. It's a sit down diner with huge portions & low prices. Both times we went, we were the only non-Islanders there. Lave even brought in his ukelele and played & sang 'Happy Birthday' to me for my special day. When I realized my phone wans't recording his performance, he indulged me & repeated his performance so I could video it. Such a wonderful person! I honestly don't know that I would return to this hotel if he weren't working there still.

Room Tip: the ocean front rooms are wonderful & worth it. It was great to sit on the balcony with a cockt...
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Where do I start! I thought this would be a great place because it is located across the street from Waikiki beach. I was so wrong! I arrived early, but had to wait over 9 hours to get the worst room I have ever had to stay in. They don't tell you that you will have to pay for parking ($22.00/Day) and internet ($10.00/Day in room) when you make your reservation... While I was waiting for my room I asked the front desk clerk if I could charge my Macbook and use the internet, it is free if you stay in the lobby, My issue was that the receptacle was not grounded and it fried my charger and cord (over $80.00) and I still did not have a room yet and at this point I have already been up 43 hours, so none of it was really sinking in. When I told the Manager about the receptacle, He shrugged his shoulders and walked out the front door to go to lunch, and the desk clerk left to go smoke a cigaret. I finally got a room when Kevin the manager returned from lunch. As I sat in the lobby and watched other people getting their rooms I started to boil, shame on them. And it gets worse I finally get my dirty and molding room, I go out on the Lani to see my first view of Waikiki Hawaii is a tan painted wall. As I said if they did not have their location no-one would stay at this dirty outdated hotel. And in the end they did not charge me for parking($44.00), I think to cover some of the cost of the new cord, but that did not matter, because the valet attendants damaged the driver-side back bumper, so then I had to deal with a police department and that whole thing with the rental company. :(

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank smartin411
Kevin W, Front Office Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Aloha:
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us!
First of all, please be advised that my name is Kevin Wong and I am the Guest Service Supervisor. Although I was not in the office when you stayed with us (I was off on Thursday and Friday), please allow me the time to address your issues with the hope that you can understand the situation a little better.

The standard check-in time at the Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel is 3:00pm. Of course, should a guests room be ready prior to that time, my staff would be more than happy to allow them access to their room; however, please note rooms are not serviced in any particular order nor by certain room categories, therefore we are unable to guarantee check-ins until 3:00pm.

The Moderate category, which you booked for, offers guests a private lanai. Although it may not offer much of a view, it is quite a difference when compared to our Standard category. Our Standard rooms, sold at an unbelievably low nightly rate for a hotel on the Waikiki "strip," does not offer a lanai nor a view yet it is still a popular room category for many travelers.

Our Housekeeping Department works tirelessly day in and day out and I can guarantee you that your room was serviced to our standard and I can also reassure you that the Housekeeping Supervisor on duty triple checked the room before you checked in. With regards to the overall conditions of the Hotel, please be advised that Aston Hotels & Resorts took over Management of the property in 2011 and have been making slight improvements since. Until we are able to work directly with the Owners and make larger changes, we are pleased to offer our guests incredible nightly rates as mentioned earlier.

My sincerest apologies if your phone charger somehow malfunctioned while in-house with us. I was glad to hear that my Agent on duty took care of your parking charges for the inconvenience as Customer Service is extremely key in our day to day operations.

Thank you once again!
Byron Bay
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed here in July 2013 for 4 days & had the best stay on the tail end of a longer trip to the Big Island. I was in Waikiki to surf & my friend & I loved this hotel for its location, location, location. We had a deluxe ocean view room on the 10t floor looking down on the 'Queen's' Break right in front & perfect view of all the surf breaks right out to 'Pops'. Mahalo to the hotel staff! You were so friendly & helpful, we felt like we were staying with family :) We hired nice longboards from the Moku Surf guys just around the corner & hotel staff were happy for us to keep our boards in the ground floor lounge, so it was literally a hop, skip & jump to be in the water! Love this hotel...I would come back & stay any time & would love a week here! There is an ABC store right next door for sushi, cheap drinks & salads; plus its a short walk to International Market for great dinner choices on a budget.

Room Tip: Stay above the 8th floor if you want a million dollar view; there is a big banyan tree right in fron...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends