“Royal Kai Lani Suite Rocks!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel

Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel
Ranked #75 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Winner, South Dakota
“Royal Kai Lani Suite Rocks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had 6 people in our group and would ordinarily rent 2 or 3 rooms but decided to take a chance on this suite, which literally takes up the entire 11th floor. The price was better than staying in several rooms at one of the larger resort hotels. I was nervous after reading the negative reviews of this hotel but we absolutely loved this room. It's huge and very clean. It has more than enough room to come back from a tiring day touring, shopping, or playing at the beach, just to sit back in the living room, kitchen, dining area, bedrooms, or the incredible balcony, ALL of which have an amazing view of the ocean. There is a gourmet kitchen, washer/dryer, bar...I seriously think this probably actually saved us money and know it saved us time. The best thing about the suite is it's not just a place to sleep but to relax and enjoy the moment. We got up around 6 AM and sat out, watching the surfers and boats and everything going on at the beach - and it's the last thing we did every night as well. It is a very short walk to shopping, shuttle, bus, great restaurants, and of course is right across the street from the main part of the beach where they rent umbrellas, paddle boards, canoes, surf boards, etc etc. So no, this hotel does not have all of those things, but all of that is just a few steps away. I wish I could post pictures but the website isn't accepting my pics!

Room Tip: If you are considering renting 2 or more hotel rooms, consider the Royal Kai Lani Suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HappyVacati0ners2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wharton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I recently had a week+ stay, and I was very happy with the experience. Location could not have been better, room quality was well above what I would have expected from the price, and staff was very helpful and courteous.

Only negatives:

1) Hotel is VERY difficult to identify from the street - only one small entranceway, with a relatively small marquee above it. And there is often an activity kiosk in front of the entrance during the day, making it even harder to spot. If travelling with others, best to drop somebody off to find the entrance and check in.

2) Only one small elevator for a 12 story hotel, which makes getting up/down a slow process during the height of the day.

But these were relatively small gripes - overall I was very satisfied with my experience, and would definitely stay again if I was in Waikiki.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AJ L
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Contrary to what some others have posted. The photos on the hotel website seem to be accurate. It's definitely not fancy or on par with some of the finer hotels in Waikiki but the location and price makes up for it. In fact Waikiki Beach is literally right across the street, just a few steps from the famed Duke Kahanamoku statue and right next to a convenient ABC Store.

A previous complaint on Trip Advisor from another guest against the clerk who joked that it would cost $10 to store luggage seems to be a misunderstanding. The clerk in question was easily the friendliest and most helpful of all the clerks I encountered during my stay and is the primary reason why I am rating this hotel very good instead of average.

Nevertheless, there were some things I didn't like about the hotel, such as just one elevator that was oftentimes very slow, pricey parking fee, no breakfast, and a housekeeper that didn't seem to trust me and insisted I prove I was staying in my room before I could enter. Never had that happen before!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tristarsbr
Kailua, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you are looking for a large luxurious room, with plenty of amenities - this is not the place for you. However if you just need a functional space in an older building with the most fantastic location and awesome staff , then you will be happy with this property. We were in Waikiki for a function and wanted an inexpensive place to stay for the weekend- after reading the reviews I was expecting the worst - but we loved it !! Yes, the rooms are tiny and the furnishings are dated. The art on the walls is questionable and the elevator is so small, I would advise against bringing a large suitcase. But the rooms were clean, the bed comfortable, the location is fabulous ( directly across the street - a few feet from the beach ), the bathrooms are fine- good water pressure, the toilet is a good flusher ( a must - for me) and most of all, the staff was extremely accommodating. They allowed us an early check-in, gave us extra pillows , helped my husband store his surfboard and had our car waiting for us because" we knew you were checking out today and we brought the car down for you earlier this morning" WOW !! We have another function to attend on New Years Eve and are hoping we can stay here again.

Be aware that there are a few rooms without any windows - kinda like an inside stateroom . These are the least expensive rooms - If you just want a bed - its up to you, but if its your first trip to Hawaii , go for at least a window.

Only concern is they provide a shampoo/conditioner in one - so bring your own cream rinse if you use it.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a beach front room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank envy28
Heber City, Utah, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I booked a standard room with an ocean view. The view off the lanai was beautiful but i cried when I saw the room. The room was filthy and looked nothing like the picture on the website. there is only one slow horribly dirty elevator and broken tiles and dirty walls in the lobby. The furniture in the room was beat and stained and the tiny fridge was sitting on a rickety stool. I wore my shoes in the shower and we asked for extra towels and washcloths to put on the chairs and the knobs to avoid touching anything. We had prepaid and were stuck. The staff was very defensive when I told them that the pictures on the website do not show what you really get. This is very dishonest, in my opinion, to show something and then give you a small, dirty, beat up excuse for a room.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a room somewhere else and make sure you read the reviews.
4 Thank Janet C
Kevin W, Front Office Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Aloha Janet,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
The Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel offers one of the most amazing Ocean Views in Waikiki at one of the most affordable prices. As a small and quaint property, our guests find our hotel a great alternative to the more expensive, much larger hotels in Waikiki; however, I sincerely apologize if you found that some areas of the property were not up to your standards.

Your concerns with regards to the cleanliness of the hotel have been addressed with the appropriate staff members and I sincerely apologize if they were not up to our standards.
I also want to apologize that you felt that the staff did not deliver the customer service we strive for.

Please know that I will share your comments with all the staff members to ensure that no other guest will encounter a similar situation.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Aston Waikiki Beachside is a 2 star hotel, soon to be upgraded I hear. It has everything you need either in the hotel or nearby. Fantastic view front top floors, lower floors you get to see some of the beach with a gorgeous old Banyan tree. Beach and bus stop across the road, a statue of Duke with posing tourists, restaurants and ABC shops nearby. Buzz of town. Room tiny but very clean. Staff very pleasant and attentive, flexible and helpful in regards to travel needs. Old world charm remains. Location couldn't be better. We would consider returning to visit even after the upgrade and obvious rise in cost. Yes, there are also homeless people in the streets, I' m sure many tourists would be willing to contribute towards some night accommodation for them, us included.

1 Thank Paaskynen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel is near the beach and the bed was clean. The bathrooms were good. Don't pay more than the prepayment price of $101. The clerk tried to charge us $10 per bag to store them until rooms were ready. When we refused he said he was kidding. No coffee even in the lobby. Wifi in the room cost $10 a day. People sleeping in the hall as we left in the mornings. I am surprised Aston puts their name on this hotel. Just so you know what you are getting before you pay. It definitely was not our idea of a Waikiki vacation. Very old and not kept up. No pool, restaurant, or beverages of any kind.

2 Thank Jadydomo
Kevin W, Front Office Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us! Please know that customer feedback is very important to us as it will only strengthen our operations moving forward.
My sincerest apologies about the misunderstanding regarding the $10 bag cost. We do not charge for storing your luggage. My guest service agent jokes around with all our guests, and I am sorry you misunderstood him. Please note that I have spoken to my agent with the hopes that no future guest feels the way you did.

With regards to your other comments, most of our neighboring properties charge a nightly amenity fee which includes internet, newspaper, coffee, etc. The Aston Waikiki Beachside does not have an amenity fee, therefore we have to charge for internet access in your room. Please note that we do offer free WiFi in the lobby of the hotel.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. They will surely help us perfect our Operations.