“Lacks amenities but the location is great!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel

Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel
Ranked #74 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Antonio
“Lacks amenities but the location is great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I recently returned from Hawai'i where I spent 6 nights at the Aston Beachside Hotel. I will agree with others about the hotel being dated and lacking amenities. You'll find no continental breakfast, hotel gym, or any other fancy stuff here. This hotel offers you a basic room (maybe you get more if you upgrade), friendly staff (Lave is awesome), and a fantastic location! I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay there again! To be honest, why do you need all the fancy hotel stuff in Hawaii? You should be spending your days sightseeing!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank GinGin777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

This place is a pit. We were placed in an "interior" room, which was a musty and dank closet with no window. When we requested to move we were placed in another damp, dirty and cramped room that smelled like mildew. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. My wife and I stayed out anywhere we could as late as we could during our stay so that we would spend as little time in this horrible place as possible. A serious disappointment and a sad end to our trip to Hawaii.

Room Tip: Skip this place all together.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Jeremy B
Kevin W, Front Office Manager at Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for choosing Aston Hotels & Resorts and the Waikiki Beachside Hotel!

Our property offers a wide variety of rooms ranging from the Standard Interior that you mentioned (our basic, most affordable room) up to our Ocean Front (our top room, facing the Ocean, on the 9th floor or higher). I apologize if the room you booked was not to your liking; however, for those travelers who choose to not spend much time in their rooms, this option is great as it is cost-friendly and comfortable among other things. My staff did accommodate you in giving you a free upgrade to the Moderate category, and although it overlooks another building/wall, it does at least have a private lanai and some fresh air.

I have spoken with both our Housekeeping Department, and our Maintenance Department to take a look at the issues you mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Once again, I am truly sorry if this ruined your vacation.

Mahalo,
Kevin
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife had read the reviews on here and was having second thoughts about our booking, but we should not have been worried. Whilst the room was small, it was clean and the cleaning staff attended to it everyday, the air conditioner worked well and we had a new digital TV. The staff were all friendly and helpful, with Lava on reception even singing and playing the ukulele for us. there was free WiFi available in the second floor lounge area if you wanted. When we arrived our allocated room was not ready, but they offered us another one with an ocean view on the 3rd floor and it was excellent. it doesn't have a pool or a restaurant, the beach is at your front door and restaurants are all in walking distance. There is only one lift, but we just used the stairs. There is an ABC store next door and you can purchase all your essentials. We will definitely go back here.

Room Tip: Full ocean view rooms are the way to go.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank lifestyle1210
Groveland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I found this deal and when I read the reviews I was having second thoughts because there were negative comments but I was very surprised and glad I took a chance with this hotel. The location was perfect for walking around and we didn't need to rent a car. The staff was very helpful with recommendations on where to eat or how to get to places. The hotel was up to the "fluff" that I usually book but due to the hectic schedule of wanting to see so much I didn't feel that spending too much for a hotel room wasn't worth it.

Don't be turned off by the negative reviews if you want to save money then this is the place to go! Room was clean, bed was comfy, AC was great - What more can you ask when you are saving so much money?

Room Tip: No on-site restaurant but all are within walking distance. Yes, the Banyan tree covers most of the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pagranny4
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at The Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel from Sunday 26th May until Wednesday 4th June 2014 and could not have asked for anything else. When we arrived one of the three rooms were ready and they were more than happy for us to shower and refresh ourselves. The people on the front desk were VERY friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and well maintained. They recommended restaurants and tours that we should do. We booked them through Alfred from The kiosk outside the hotel. He was more than happy to sit and talk to us for over 2 hours and advise us on what company's to use for particular tours and thought of everyone, (There was 6 people) including my 80 year old grandmother. When we checked out they were more than happy to stand and talk to us while we were waiting for our limo to arrive.

We loved our stay in the hotel.
Mahalo for everything.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Christopher F
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Staff is friendly and helpful, the location couldn't be better and the views of the beach are amazing. Definetly made our trip with all the sights and so convenient for people to spend time on the beach and close to many great spots to eat/drink. Mahalo

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here for three nights before our wedding at the north shore. Yes, the hotel is old and dated, but the location more than makes up for it. They upgraded us to the top floor where we had amazing views of Waikiki Beach from our balcony. My fiancé and I would sit here for hours each day just taking in all of the sights. The hotel is located across the street from the beach and whether you turn left or right, everything is within a few minutes walk away. Service was excellent as well. I highly recommend this hotel and would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: 12th floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple