“Location location location!”

Ranked #38 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Australia
“Location location location!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Loved our stay here! We were offered an upgrade for an extra $20 per night and were not disappointed. Full ocean views with a balcony to enjoy the amazing views which I would argue are the best in Waikiki! Rooms are a little small as is bathroom, but hey, who come to Waikiki to spend time watching tv and showering in their rooms?! If that's you, don't come! Right across the road from the beach and everything else you need. We even started buying champagne and watching the glorious sunset from the uninterrupted views of our balcony. Beats the crowds at the expensive resorts that are paying five times the price for the same thing as this hotel! Check in was a breeze and staff were fantastic. Will stay here again and highly recommend.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sarahf6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North Vancouver
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This place is much smaller than what appears in pictures. The bathroom is minuscule. I wouldn't recommend it for more than one night. The beds weren't very comfortable but not horrible either. Good location and clean. Staff was nice. I would probably stay elsewhere next time, particularly at $250/nt incl taxes (peak season).

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The only reason that I'm giving this hotel 2 stars is because of the ocean view from the balcony. Otherwise, I would give this hotel a ZERO star rating... It was our 2nd time at Honolulu.

$15 plus tax for amenity fee includes wifi which was horrible and it got disconnected very often...

For the service, except for the lady who checked us in (who was extremely kind), all other staff were very rude and unkind. Two hours before our check out, the maid refused to give us more toilet paper that we needed as we didn't get room serviced that day and the day before. She gave us attitude which cost her a tip. I'm pregnant and I had to go to washroom which explains why we needed toilet paper 2 hours before we checked out... Also, the lady at the front when we checked out was very rude and condescending, as if I do not understand English. Yes, I look Asian, but I'm originally from Canada... This experience was very unacceptable for me who travels a lot and I wouldn't stay at this hotel when we return to Honolulu.

7 Thank helloandbye
CIRMNGR, Manager at Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Aloha helloandbye,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel. I’m very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered during your stay. Please know that your concerns have been shared with our management and staff.

We strive to provide an exceptional experience for all of our guests and feedback like yours helps us to continue improving.

Thank you for staying at the Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel!
Calgary
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Only stayed in Waikiki fro 2 days. Perfect location across from the beach. The staff were very nice. Would recommend the ocean view if your there for more than 2 days and plan to spend time in your room. All other rooms look to the surrounding hotels. Originally booked a city view. They offered a upgrade to partial view when we arrived for $10 extra a night. Well worth it. Not sure what the amenity fee of $15 per night was for?????

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sean B
Herdcyclone
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This place is a Cooper Mini in the land of trucks. In other words, a small hotel surrounded by gargantuan resorts and hotels. But it is a great place to stay, and had a great location.

Check in was smooth, and it is actually outside, or at least partially so with a covered check in area. With my ears still goofy after flying in, the street noise and from hearing damage from sitting in the front row of a Night Ranger concert 30 years ago, I found it a little hard to hear the check in person, but it went smoothly.

As noted elsewhere on here, the rooms are smallish, but certainly fine for 2 people. Closet and desk space around a corner gave a nice storage area for "stuff."

The hotel has obviously made quite a few orbits around the sun, but the room was up to date, smelled good, and was clean. Stayed there for a week, and housekeeping did a great job of cleaning up each day.

There was a $15 a day resort fee or some darn thing. I knew about it, just add it to the bill. This hotel is no different than others in that regard. Why they don't just add it in? I'm not a marketing major, so who knows. There was in room wifi for each room. Nothing great. I averaged 2-4Meg download on various tests. It was in room only tho. Tried it on the balcony/lanai and it did not work. I'm guessing the interference from all the rest wiped it out.

Speaking of being on the balcony/lanai. What a great spot for views and people watching. We were in room 904 which I think was an full ocean view room. And it was, you can see up and down the shore. You can't see Diamondhead from the hotel, because the hotel is back where the shoreline dips in a bit, but it has a great view of Waikiki beach, which is just across the street.

I had a great time just sitting out there and watching the people walk by. It was Christmas week, and it was crowded. Of course, just listening to the ocean added to the view. Though you won't just hear the ocean. It is kinda noisy around there. It faces a busy beachfront street. But I live out in the middle of Iowa where it is super quiet, and it didn't bother me. In fact, I slept with the lanai door wide open every night. Really the worst thing might be the garbage trucks with their beeps at 6 in the morning.

As for sleeping, I thought the bed was great. Maybe it was the beautiful breezes blowing in, but I slept like a baby (the good kind of baby.)

Not much interaction with the staff, but friendly when I did. Nice touch by the hotel...on Christmas they left a tree ornament in our room, and a card signed by 20 or so people, which I presume is the staff. The ornament will be a nice memento to hang on the tree for future Christmases.

Only 14 floors, elevator trips were quick. I don't think I ever waited more than 30 seconds for an elevator. Had an Eggs and Things restaurant near the entrance. Lot of long lines and seemed to be popular with Japanese tourists. Went there once, I don't get the popularity. Nothing wrong with it, but you can walk right next door and get cakes and eggs from McDonalds that tastes just as good for about 1/2 the price with next to no wait.

The room has a fridge, might have been nice to have a microwave, but not sure where I'd put it tho. I think free DVDs are available, but I didn't use that feature. Also they supplied beach towels, so don't waste your suitcase space for your own.

Here is who I think this hotel is good for...
Good price point compared to other neighboring hotels
Couples
you are going to be spending a lot of time at the beach
you don't need a pool
you are a low maintenance hotel guest(You don't need room service and other amenities)
You don't need your picture taken in a glamorous lobby
You can deal with a certain amount of outside hustle and bustle
you want a good view of the ocean
you like the thought of a hotel that is not cookie cutter

Don't stay here if:
you want a pool
you want to see and be seen with high roller types
you want to stay on the 30th floor of a hotel
you do not want to cross a street to be on the beach
4 or more full sized people in the room
You want/need a microwave
Want a king sized bed

And in short, I'd stay again, I loved the place, the location and the price paid for where it was.

Room Tip: Lower floors to people watch, higher for better beach views. Ocean side rooms will be noisier.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Herdcyclone
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel is a great place to stay!!! The front desk employees, particularly John and Jan, are very friendly and helpful, the housekeeping staff is also very friendly, and extremely accommodating, and the rooms are comfortable and clean.

There are safes and coffee in the rooms, and the views from the ocean view rooms are incredible (see pictures). They also provide beach towels, and the restaurant, "Eggs and Things" is a great place to have breakfast.

My granddaughter and I recently stayed there for a week, and it was a wonderful experience. My mother and I stayed there two years ago, and we, also, enjoyed our stay.

I will definitely stay there every time I visit Waikiki.

Janis E.
North Idaho

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view room (at least 3 stories up). It's definitely worth the extra money.
3 Thank IdahoJan23
Ipswich, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

After booking direct & paying in full 6 months in advance we were told we could not get in until we payed a further $15.70 (US) per day AMENITIES FEE. This we were told is for room service, daily paper, soap, shampoo, toilet paper coffee & sugar, wi-fi & use of in room safe(key operated). When we argued we did not want papers or coffee or wi-fi, we were told it didn't matter. We Had to pay. There was NO mention of them anywhere on the website at time of booking.
After getting in to the room we find 2 x double beds (not a queen as shown on their website). A noisy wall A/C which rattled the glass siding balcony door. (We had to pull the filter out of the a/c to have it cleaned). Only 1 chair in the room (A desk chair), tucked around the corner near the wardrobe. (Yes, they had 1 of those).
After paying for our amenities, we often had to go to reception to get our paper, soap coffee etc. which were not supplied.
The noise of delivery trucks from about 5am every day doing deliveries to local shops & the motel, (All trucks have reversing beepers), made it hard to have a sleep in. The reception, check in area is definitely not the most impressive.
The upside of this hotel is it's location & the view from the front balconies.
When booking from Australia for any hotel in Hawaii makes sure you ask about the amenities fee & get it in writing if they say there are none, (I believe it is a common practice & we got off cheap).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends