“Good value for Waikiki, but . . .”

Aston Waikiki Sunset
Sonoma County, CA
“Good value for Waikiki, but . . .”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I wish I could say we enjoyed our stay at the Aston Waikiki Sunset. The unit was comfortable and spacious, and we loved the ocean view from our 33rd floor room. The property is an easy walk to the beach, zoo, Kuhio Beach Park and Kapiolani Park. The bedroom was spacious and the king bed was really comfortable. The kitchen was fairly well equipped and the housekeeping service was quite good, although late in the day. The resort fee is somewhat overpriced considering the lack of Wifi but access to the garage parking was nice.

My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that the property did not disclose that we would not be able to use our balcony until after we arrived in our room. And even then, we had to ask! I was fully aware of the renovations and expected some construction during weekdays but had no idea that our balcony would be off limits. We paid extra for an ocean view room with balcony because we expected to be able to use the balcony. Because of this deceptive practice, I would not choose to stay at this or any other Aston property again.

Room Tip: Book a mountain view room if you plan to travel before the construction is completed. The ocean view...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank byrdlover
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Aloha byrdlover,

Mahalo for your candid remarks regarding your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations, location and service.

I'm very sorry to hear that you were not aware of the lanai closure and please know that there is no intention on our part to decieve our valued guests. We understand that the lanai is a very important feature of our rooms and we provided this information to all of our travel partners and have it posted on our website. For our readers information, only units in the stack that the contractors are working on have inaccessible lanais for safety reasons. It wasn't mentioned in your posting, but I hope you mentioned your displeasure to our staff. Every effort would have been made to move you to another room to meet your satisfaction.

I hope we're given another opportunity so we can redeem ourselves. If so, please contact me direct and I will personally help you with your reservation. Mahalo for staying with us and I hope to see you in the near future.

Doug Okada

In regards to your comment on housekeeping servicing your room late,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
Hartselle, AL
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Aston Waikiki Sunset. The pool was usually crowded but nice and there were available BBQ grills for cooking outside on the pool deck. Room was kind of small but nice none the less.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Cindy E
Aloha Cindy E,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and until the next time, Mahalo and. . . .

Monterey, California
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We will be arriving on May 9Th to attend our Daughter's graduation. I did much research locating the ideal hotel for our families needs. I narrowed our choices down to three hotels, all very different. I sent correspondence to the three hotels and selected The Aston Waikiki Sunset based on our email exchanges with General Manager, Doug. If our experience at the Aston Waikiki Sunset is as delightful as our exchanges ... we will be quite pleased. Honestly, if you have questions, Doug is a refreshing change of pace offering excellent customer service. Contact him, he *will reply!

Hotel Review to Follow.

Room Tip: Hotel / Property review to follow.
Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Dianna430
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Aloha Dianna430,

Mahalo for your kind words about my service and responses to your email. We look forward to your stay with us and we'll be seeing you in a couple of days. Until then, Mahalo and. . . .

Brooks AB
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel while on our first trip to Waikiki. Our travel agent had given us several hotels to choose from and upon researching them while comparing the price we chose the sunset. I trusted my instinct based upon other reviews. Upon arrival the staff were very welcoming,as it had been a very long day for us all,it was very refreshing. we had booked a two bedroom kitchenette suite facing Diamond head. we were very pleased.The room was clean,which was my main concern. The beds very comfortable and you could tell the mattresses were new. New Reno's and updates were apparent. The shower was small though and considering both our sons are 6 ft tall it was a tight squeeze..Lol. but they didnt complaint.our friends however,had a one bedroom and there shower/tub was a normal size and the bathroom was bigger. There was alot of closet and storage space. The kitchenette had everything a person needs.It would have been nicer if the patio was just a little bigger but for the time spent there it was fine. We had a room on the 15th floor so our view was very nice. The hotel has a little store on the fifth floor for any little thing you may need but it can be expensive..the ABC store is a 5 minute walk at most if you need anything..but the convenience of the in hotel there is great also. The pool area was nice but the pool was not heated so if its not sunny it can be chilly. The sun shades in that area mid afternoon which of course nothing can be done about it. The bbq area is a great idea. we decided to stock our kitchens
with food and beverages. We picked a day to bbq hamburgers,so being able to relax in the courtyard while our husbands cooked was indeed quite nice. All staff throughout the entire hotel that we experienced were super friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The house keeping staff were some of the best I've ever experienced. As for ongoing construction, it did not hinder us what so ever,however on their website they do have dates specified for the areas they will be working on so I would advise anyone to avoid disappointment by checking this out. The hotel is far enough from the main street so as not to be too noisy but close enough to have access to the action. the hotel does not have a lounge or restaurant ,this would have been a bonus, so unless you want to cook you have to go elsewhere to eat. They have very friendly and knowledgeable staff to help plan excursions and what not at no cost right in the hotel lobby. This is a great service to anyone who is having there very first trip to the area. Everything is within walking distance,stores,restaurants, lounges etc... My complaints are very minute and the good outweigh the bad by far. I would recommend this hotel to everyone as our experience was very positive. Just a few minutes down the street, Tikki's bar and grill serves up some great food and drinks. Their upstairs patio had a great view of the street and the beach plus live entertainment. Indeed a great place to check out.

5 Thank mandalynn
Aloha Mandalynn,

Mahalo for posting your great comments and suggestions for our readers. I'm very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, our two bedroom units have an unobstructed view of Diamond Head no matter what floor you're on.

Mahalo for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon. Until then, Mahalo and . . . .

Edmonton, Ab Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed at the Waikiki Sunset for 12 nights (March 25-Apr 6) with my husband and 2 children aged 19 and 17. I did some research prior to going and knew the exterior of the hotel was being renovated and that balcony access was hit and miss. I was unable to book a 2-bedroom suite, so booked a 1-bedroom ocean view room online. Upon arrival at the hotel on Sunday night, we were greeted by very friendly staff who checked us into a room on the 35th floor. I asked about balcony access and was told this particular room did not have access to the balcony. He advised that a 2-bedroom suite would be available on Thursday and they would move us into this room. We did not have to do anything. The staff would move our groceries and everything which was great. We were not charged for the upgrade which I thought was very generous.

When we arrived in our room on the 35th floor, the carpet was very dirty. As we had travelled most of the day from Canada, I was too exhausted to complain. However, in the morning the front desk manager phoned our room and asked me how things were going and how the carpet was. I advised it was disgusting. She apologized profusely and advised me that the room was scheduled to have the carpets replaced and offered to move us to another room on the 34th floor. As we hadn't unpacked much, we then moved to the 34th floor. When I went to get the keys for the new room, we were also given a $50 gift card to the ABC Stores which again was so nice. We did also move to the 2-bedroom suite on Thursday.

The 2-bedroom suite was phenomenal. The balcony was accessible and we had a beautiful view of Diamond head on one side and an ocean view on the other. Thank you so much for the fabulous room.

We had one of our children sleep in the 2nd bedroom and the other on the pull-out couch in the living room. It worked great.

Our room had a full kitchen with stove, fridge and microwave so that came in handy for groceries and cooking.

The hotel is off the main Waikiki strip and was a 5-minute walk to the beach. Although the hotel did have scaffolding around the building, as long as you are not in your room Monday - Friday from 9-4:30, it's OK. We were there on vacation, not to sit in a hotel room, so the construction didn't really bother me at all. If you are there during the day, it may get noisy.

Some of the hotel has definitely been upgraded, but don't expect a 5-star hotel here or you will be disappointed.

There is also a very nice staff downstairs who will assist you with booking excursions. There is a $15/day parking charge as well as a $10/day resort fee, so keep that in mind.

We didn't use the pool at all as we were there to swim in the ocean, but it is there if you need it as well as nice tennis courts. You can also rent boogie boards from the store on the 5th floor, which has a variety of groceries and gifts. There is also washers and dryers on every floor.

I would definitely come back and stay here. The staff provided excellent service both in cleaning and at the front desk to help with anything required. Mahalo to the staff at the Sunset.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the upper floors are by far the nicest with an ocean view and a view of Diamond Hea...
7 Thank Stacey G
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Aloha Stacy G,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you and your family had a great time and that the exterior enhancement project didn't inconvenience you. Mahalo also for providing great tips for our readers.

We are committed to provide the best possible service for our guests. By no means do we claim to be perfect and the fact that the first room you moved into had dirty carpet is proof of that, but we appreciate the opportunity of "making it right."

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit. Until then, Mahalo and. . .

texas
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Dear General Manager (Doug),
I'm planning to stay at the Aston Waikiki Sunset 1-BR condo around Aug. 4-11th, 2012 for a week. I notice that you have some sort of construction going on at this site. I wonder if I can get a top floor room with either ocean view or mountain view with access to outside balcony? And how would I request this during the booking and will my request be fulfilled?

Also what other compatible Aston (no-construction) resorts that can accommodate 5 people: 2 adults, 3 children (ages 10-17).

Thank you.
Vu

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank dzungy
Aloha dzungy,

Mahalo for your interest in staying with us during your visit to our beautiful island. During the dates of your stay the work area will be on the opposite side of the building so all of our ocean view units as well as all units on the ocean side, will have full access to the lanai. As added information, our ocean view rooms are between floors 25 - 37.

Please be advised that due to the exterior enhancement project, during this period our pool will be closed M - F from 9 am - 4:30 pm and open from 4:30 pm - 9 pm, and open all day on Saturday and Sunday. The tennis court and BBQ area will be closed at all times.

You're welcome to email me direct at doug.okada@astonhotels.com, and I would be more than happy to personally take care of your reservation.

Mahalo again for your interest and I hope we'll have the pleasure of accommodating you and your family during your visit. Until then, Mahalo and. . . .

Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This hotel was an excellent choice for us. We wanted to stay in Waikiki. We have a family of 5 and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a good value. Aston Waikiki Sunset really filled the bill. We were just a few blocks off beachfront, but could see the ocean from one of our rooms and diamondhead from the other (2 separate stays in April) --- We had 2 standard rooms for our first stay and a 2-bedroom suite for our second. Both setups had kitchenettes and a living room for each room, a definite plus to save some money on food in Waikiki. (There is an ABC convenience store with extended hours within a block or so.) While the hallways could use a little spiffing-up (new carpet and/or wall treatment), the rooms were comfortable and clean. The kitchenette/living room/balcony arrangement made this a great living space for our family of 5 (3 teens.) The tour companies pick-up and drops off from the lobby and it was an easy walk to Waikiki Beach. There is a pool deck and you can checkout beach towels from the laundry. There is an on-site tour reservation desk and a convenience store, but no restaurant. I think this is a great lodging option for a family in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2-bedroom suite. Higher floors and either ocean-view are pretty neat too.
1 Thank Mary B
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Aloha Mary B,

Mahalo for your patronage to the Aston Waikiki Sunset. This is great testimony that we're doing it right and we appreciate that very much. I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that you found great value in our accommodations.