US$403
US$428
US$283
Cancelon
1,499 results
All reviewsfull kitchendiamond headmini martliving roomtennis courtsocean viewamenity feeone bedroom unittwo blockspots and panspull out sofaaston waikikilaundry roomabc storeper daytour deskshort walk to the beach
Reviewed 15 October 2005

Our family of four (2 daughters, 19 and 16) just spent 12 days in a one bedroom kitchenette unit ("superior" unit, I think - ocean side, 24th floor) at the Waikiki Sunset, and were very comfortable there. My husband was competing in the ITU World Age Group Triathlon Championships, so we had come just over a week before the race for him to train and acclimatize to the tropical weather, and for a family vacation.

Our girls had the twin beds in the bedroom and we slept on the queen hide-a-bed in the living room. I thought I had requested a queen-size bed in the bedroom for us, but it worked out better this way, as our night-owl girls would probably have kept us up half the night with the TV if they'd been on the hide-a-bed. The hide-a-bed wasn't too bad for us, comfort-wise, but it wasn't great either...

We ate almost all our meals in - the Food Pantry grocery store is about four blocks away - and with a full-size fridge, stove, microwave and well-stocked dishes, pots, glasses etc., we had pretty much everything we needed. The kitchen had lots of counter and cupboard space. A word of warning though - grocery prices, both in Waikiki, and at the grocery store at the Ala Moana mall are atrocious!! We were shocked at the prices - and we live in an expensive resort town ourselves; visitors here are always asking us how we manage with our local prices. Still, it was cheaper - and far more convenient - than eating out.

As mentioned by other reviewers, the finishes of the unit were a little dated - cupboard doors, counters, bathroom fixtures etc., however, for what we got, and the location (which, face it, is what you are mostly paying for), we felt it was a pretty good value for the price (we had a long-stay rate of $129 US plus taxes per night). If we were to go to Waikiki again, we would probably stay here... unless we win the lottery, in which case we'd be at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider. ;-)

The location is great - a short walk to the beach and Kapiolani Park, the Zoo, the Aquarium etc. Buses are easy to get and can get you most everywhere on the island, although we stayed mostly to Waikiki except for renting a car one day to tour around the island.

Our unit had TONS of storage space, which was *great* for four of us in small quarters (the entire unit is probably about 400 sq. feet, maybe almost 500) including an athlete with all his gear and two girly teens with tons of clothes, hair appliances & "product", make-up etc. The bathroom has a large counter and a storage shelf/cupboard under the mirror. Although there was only one towel rack, there was a small closet in the bathroom with a rack that suited hanging more towels, extra clothing etc. The bedroom had an enormous closet, a dresser with lots of drawers, and there were more drawers in the living room in the unit the TV sits on. Plus there was a closet and storage shelf near the entrance.

The bathroom shower was wonderful - lots of pressure! We loved it!

For a hotel, the unit was "reasonably" clean. It could have been cleaner (walls, along baseboards, cupboard doors etc.) but it was about average for a hotel. Service was good and quick, although they didn't always vacuum everyday.

One thing we really liked is that beach towels are available through the housekeeping department (you have to return them everyday but just get more the next), and we rented boogie boards from the convenience store on the fifth floor. Our daughters used the computer stations on the sixth floor to check their email, as did I - once. It works out to $9/hour ... there are lots of cybercafés nearby that are a lot cheaper.

We had an ocean view room - but with all the high-rises between our building and the ocean, we really only had a few glimpses of the water. From our balcony, we did have a stunning view of Diamond Head. One day the door to the unit across from us (mountain view) was open .... I would suggest you could save a few bucks and get as nice or nicer a view - and probably a lot less traffic noise - by being on the mountain side of the building. The mountain side gets the morning sunshine though - we enjoyed coffee and our complimentary newspaper every morning out on our shady and cool balcony - although you could not sit out there in the sun in the afternoon (but laundry dried quickly in the heat).

The laundry room was just down the hall which was handy for us. It was $1 per load to wash, same to dry - although as I mentioned, we air-dried most of our laundry.

After reading reviews on this site, we were worried about waiting for elevators, but found this wasn't a problem most of the time. A couple of times we had lengthy waits (up to five minutes), but most of the time it was only a minute or two, and often we got to zing right up (or down) to/from our floor.

• Stayed: October 2005
18  Thank krp329
A TripAdvisor Member
Lethbridge, Alberta Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2005

As soon as we walked out of the elevator on the 12th floor I knew something was terrible wrong. It all started with the disgusting two toned green walls, the the terrible odour that was quite evident.
I am not a terrible picky person , but as soon as we opened our room I could not believe my eyes!!
This was not a room that was pictured on the brochure. or on the Internet sight. The walls in the bathroom were rotting and falling apart, the edges were actually rusting through the plaster. The ceilings had layers of dust and were cracking. The carpet was coming up, the bedroom had two small beds put together to make a King sized bed. The layer of foam that was put over to obviously help cover up was hanging of the edge of the bed,also the sheet that was on the bed had a fairly large hole in it, I might add we stayed 7 nights and oddly enough we had the same sheet with the same hole in it for the entire week,( you figure that one out) Also the refrigerator door would not quite open all the way because the wall was in the way, I also forgot to mention the head boards did not align with the fake King sized bed, they actually were hanging of the edges of both sides of the bed leaving the centre of the bed with no head board,
The so called heated pool was cold, the ocean was much warmer than the pool. When my kids won't swim in a pool you know it's too cold, The tennis court was also in need of repair, The surface was peeling up, and one day we went to play after it had rained, we went to use the special rolling squeegie device to push the water off the court, Well it wouldn't work because it was warped. I could go on even longer but I will spare you the gory details!!

The funny part was on the first day when I went straight down to the front desk and asked for the manager Who turned out not to be the general manager but just a shift manager. I told him our problems, his answer was, I quote "I could send house keeping" After he told me this three times I finally told him' You are not listening, This room needs a carpenter not house keeping,
I finally left in disbelief shaking my head not having my concerns addressed.

A couple of days later I decided to ask if there was someone other than who we spoke to,
We left a message for the General manager, who did not get back to me until my last day.
He was very kind and listened to our concerns, When I showed him the pictures of the room, He appeared to be some what surprised,
He apologised for the manager who we initially spoke to for not acting on our concerns,
I told him we expected something similar to what was in the brochure,
We aske to see the room in the brochure, This was not possible since the room in the brochure isn't actually from this hotel

This is not a joke, this is what we suspected and it turned out to be true.

I should mention the staff other than the first manager I spoke to were all very nice and tried to help as much as they could. They went as far as to show us another room, which was not much better,
We did see a handi-capped room which was nicely renovated, unfortunately these are the only rooms renovated.

We were told the rooms were recently renovated, This is obviously not true
We were also told part of the problem is this being a Condo set up, they said all rooms are individually owned therefore I was told, I quote once again, "They are having troubles getting the owners to Pony up the dough"

As I said the the General Manager, seemed rather sincere in his apologies, I believe his hands are tied and he is doing the best with what he's given
He did say he would send me a refund for 2 nights.

Only time will tell, If I actually recieve it.

I strongle recomend do not stay here If you are expecting any quality or class or cleanliness,

I am not exagerating about anything , I have the pictures to prove it!!

• Stayed: October 2005
41  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 October 2005

We have 2 pre teens and this hotel was chosen for the kitchenette. There is a full size fridge and micro. and stove top, they have utensils for it all.
The elevators are very slow but we were never in a hurry. the first thing we did ask for was a fan since we kept our air on full blast since it was hawaii and very humid the fan helped.. there is a convient store on one of the lower floors but if you want cheaper there is a ABC store a block away. We did not even go to the pool why you have the ocean a few blocks away. The floor was not clean and the bathroom is extremely small. the parking is hard to find after 6pm at night it did make us think twice to take our car out for dinner, but you can walk just about anywhere or catch the bus.
It is a good place to stay for familys, you save$$ by cooking in..

Stayed: August 2004
6  Thank mapa90
Reviewed 19 September 2005

It's in walking distance to the beach, about a 1/2 block or so
the bed was hard,
the room was sorta cleaned everyday, they never swept the floors and after a day at the beach they get a little sandy.
the kitchen well stocked with pots/pans etc...
a news paper at your door every morning
the hallway smelled of old cooking oil
if your money tight it's an ok place to stay.
staff very friendly and helpful
an ABC store on every corner
only saw 1 ant...no other bugs

9  Thank tas_emt
A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 15 September 2005

We didn't see one tiny ant at all. We were very impressed with how clean it was, the service, and their concierge was so knowledgeable and helpful. Our hair dryer went out an hour before we had to check out, and they came to fix it within five minutes after we called. Would highly recommend this place for their reasonable prices and if you want to stay out of the Waikiki area.

Stayed: September 2005