The Equus Hotel
US$323
US$271
US$229
  • Beachfront
Ramada Plaza Waikiki(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
US$147
Prince Waikiki(Honolulu)
US$329
US$298
1,604 results
All reviewsala moana blvdmarina towerred lobsterabc storealoha spiritwaikiki beachwithin walking distancestreet noisesmall hotelflat screen tvconvention centeracross the streetlight sleepercoffee machinethe entire staffsmall poolbus stop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We stayed at the Equus because our son had to have surgery at Kapiolani. We stayed for 10 days so we needed someplace under $100. At $90 a night, we were surprised to see how nice the entry and decor was (although after climbing the 10 or 12 steps to get up to the lobby numerous times a day we were a little annoyed) and enjoyed how clean the room was. But the parking was HORRIBLE. If you have children do NOT stay here. You have to go down the elevator, down the flight of stairs that they have no elevator for, walk around the corner, through a parking lot, take another elevator into the parking garage, and THEN you can load all your stuff into your car. It seriously took us 20 minutes to leave or return each time. Then each night, at exactly 3:20, the air conditioner beeped about 7 or 8 times. Each time I reported it to the front desk, they said they would "check on it". Everytime I asked about whether or not it had been fixed, they said they didn't know. Hmmm...If you can't keep track of what's fixed and what hasn't been fixed, what is the point of customers asking for something to be fixed? Just a waste of time. My 18 month old son woke up everytime it beeped and screamed for a few minutes.

THEN...to top it off, I walked in while the cleaning people were there, just to grab something. The woman was wiping our cups out with a white washcloth! (I take it that it was one of ours, since I doubt that most cleaning companies use white hotel towels to clean rooms). After watching numerous dateline nbc-type specials on how hotels don't actually wash your cups anymore, I had told my husband not to use them. He thought I was just being paranoid. Hmmmm... After they left, I smelled both wine glasses (one we had eaten ice cream out of and the other we hadn't used.) One glass smelled faintly sweet with a slightly chemical odor, and the other smelled like nothing.

The internet also didn't work (which was a huge disappointment since my husband needed to work from the hotel while we were gone for the surgery) and the parking was almost $20 a night (which made our $90 hotel room not so cheap after all).

Basically, if you like climbing stairs, don't have young children or much luggage, and don't mind dirty glasses or not getting a straight answer about simple questions like when the internet is going to be working (we basically got the response of..."It's not working" to our question of "When will the internet be working?"), then it's worth staying here. After all, if you'll be at the beach all day, you may not notice these things when you come back. So for that, it is worth the price. But $17 parking when you could valet park at another hotel for $20? I would definitely pay more to stay in a hotel that has more amenities than save a few bucks and get a headache in return.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank teamkimball
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We checked into Equus after a 5 night stay at Aqua Bamboo, wish we had stayed at Bamboo.

Rooms were nice BUT....

Strong mildew smell in the shower, this was our third hotel for this stay, two others (Aqua Bamboo and ResortQuest Circle) did not have this problem.

No one knew where to obtain towels....folks downstairs said the front desk, the front desk said try downstairs at the laundry. As a matter of fact, we obtained two towels from downstairs before we even checked in...didn't even ask for a room key!

NO weather stripping on door (rm 606);

Curtains are actually shutter doors which look nice but let in light; preferred light blocking curtains at Bamboo.

Staff was NOT at all welcoming and/or friendly. When we checked into Bamboo we asked if we could check in early, she checked and told us yes, our room was ready. Equus, check in is at 3pm, didn't even bother to check. Same thing w/checkout - Bamboo allowed a courtesy 1 hr late checkout. Same person at Equus told us no late check outs allowed. I totally understand if a hotel cannot accommodate due to booking levels, however, she didn't even bother to check to see if the room was ready.

Ran into housekeeping standing between our door and the room next door. Did not even offer to move themselves or the cart out of the way, didn't say good morning, nothing.......

I travel often and am ALWAYS asked how my stay was. Guess they don't care at Equus.

Both hotels on Aqua's website are rated as three stars; however, customer service was a world apart. Compared to the other two hotels we stayed at, this one was very disappointing.

On a positive note, the toliet paper at Equus was better than Bamboo.....

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
hawaiipolohawaii, Sales and Marketing at The Equus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2008

Thank you for your review.

Your review has been submitted to be discussed at our front office staff meeting as it relates to service and to our maintenance as it relates to meldew.

As an Aqua Brand Hotel we offer an Aqua Promise to our guests that we provide in each hotel room. This promise of a satisfying hotel experience includes access to phone numbers of the General Manager, Hotel Owner and CEO of Aqua Resorts and we encourage our guests to please call us if they are not having a good expereince.

We are very disappointed that we were not given the opportunity to meet with you while you were in Honolulu and improve you experience with us.

As you did experience, The Equus has recentlhy completed a $2.5 million renovation including our guests rooms that we are proud to say enjoy positive reviews.

Please know that it is of the utmost importance to our entire staff that you have an excellent expereince and become a return guest! We hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 18 July 2008

I've been staying at the Equus Polo regularly for 2 years. I was there during their renovations. It's a great, small hotel to stay in. Staff are fantastic and Renee will do anything to make your stay pleasurable. I love the fact it is small and personalised. And the happy hours!! The renovations are are fabulous and add a real atmosphere to the hotel.
Although it is in the Aqua chain - don't overlook it. It's one of the better places to stay in Honolulu.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank zardax41
hawaiipolohawaii, Sales and Marketing at The Equus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2008

Thank you for your review and your recommendation.

We were very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with The Equus and our renovation. Rene, as always, is pleased to assure that you have a wonderful stay. We look forward to welcoming you back and we will see you at our Manager's Reception/Happy Hour very soon we hope.

Reviewed 9 July 2008

I travel to Oahu for business 4-7 times a year and this is the ONLY hotel I stay at. Since I don't require all of the 'action' of Waikiki, I am fine with staying far from it. Even if you are there on holiday, you are a short trip to all of it.

The staff at the hotel is great. Everyone is extremely helpful. In particular, I've gotten to know Puka who works the morning and afternoon shift. This guy is a real gem - he is so helpful and kind whenever I stay at the hotel. Last month, their Internet crashed. These folks did everything they could to make sure internet was available for any guest at the Marina next door.

The rooms are outstanding. A/C, Internet, bathrooms and showers are super. And they did a great job when they upgraded their beds. You cannot beat it for the price and location in my book.

Yes, there are a few negatives. The elevator is really slow - my advice - don't sweat it - you are in Hawaii! Don't think you'll get a meal with the breakfast, if you need something substantial, go down the street to ABC, McDonald's or Starbucks. And there is no pool...it's not big enough to stick your big toe in it. Pakring is next door at the Marina as they have a small 10 space lot.

To me, these 'negatives' are really insignficant when you get a great room with a great staff who really works at making your stay enjoyable. If you need all of the glitz with a big hotel, don't stay here. But, if you just need a place to sleep and be in a central location, the Equus is it.

I won't consider staying at any other hotel when I am in Oahu. Thanks to Puka and the entire staff for making the Equus such a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank LandofHopesandDreams

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We were pleased to read that The Equus is the "only" hotel that you will stay at! Puka, along with Rene, are here to assure that you have an excellent stay. We have a new high speed provider that is currently being installed. In addition to our pool, please know that guests at the Equus have access to the pool, jacuzzi and tennis court at the Aqua Marina which is adjacent to The Equus.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2008

This was one of the worst places I have EVER stayed. There is NO iron or ironing board. There is NO hair dryer. The internet was DOWN and the electricity was out for about 6-8 hours. My room phone did not work. There are only about 10 channels on the TV. It is VERY loud there. I had booked 7 nights but left after 2 because it was so crappy. They charged my card $300 over what the 7 nights would be and NEVER told me and it is NOT on any paperwork that they give you. I told the clerk that we were not happy and she said, "well, you owe me this much.". They should not have charged us for the 2nd night. It was hot and miserable....
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for your review.

We are disappointed to read that you did not have a good experience. We have irons, ironing boards and hair dryers available for our guests. Unfortunately we experienced a power outage at the hotel, as well as the surrouonding area, during your stay. This, of course, being out of our hands, temporatily affects our phone system as well. We have contracted a new high speed provider since your stay which is currently being set up. We apologize again for any inconvenince you experienced.

We hope you were able to enjoy all that Hawaii has to offer for the balance of your trip.