“Top choice in Waikiki”

The Equus Hotel
Ranked #32 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We were a little nervous when we booked this hotel because it seemed like a wildcard, being a boutique hotel and having conflicting online reviews, but as soon as we checked in we knew we had struck gold! We stayed in the one bedroom suite (for which I could hardly find any reviews) and it was awesome. The bedroom was very spacious with plenty of room to open all of our (many) suitcases and still walk around. There was a nice leather recliner by the window. The furnishings were tasteful and the bed was extremely comfortable (I am picky)! There was a real door to close, so I could sleep while my spouse had the lights on in the other room (main room). The main room was a combination of a living room (couch + coffee table + a giant TV screen) /dining room (round table + 2 chairs) plus an eat-in kitchen. There was also a partial ocean view from this room. The kitchen had a microwave, a fridge AND a (big) wine cooler, a Keurig coffee maker, nice granite countertops and 4 barstools (in case you invite guests?). Too bad we didn't see pictures of this before we booked, though I can see pictures NOW on the website (so y'all can have a look a priore, not like me who went in blind). This room was on the 10th floor (top) and for someone like me who prefers to take the stairs most of the time, it was nice that the building stairs were accessible at all times and were lit at all times (not by motion sensors like most Waikiki hotels). Since the lobby is on 2, it was only 8 short flights up and down, far quicker than the elevator.

Now about the staff. They were the best. Attentive, available, very pleasant, and also able to keep their distance when we didn't need anything. There is clearly someone on staff who is very good at origami, because there were pieces of paper AND TOWELS shaped like animals all over the rooms. I've never stolen anything from any hotel in my life, but I was very tempted to take the towel folded in the shape of a duck home with me :)

There was a professional photographer at the hotel when we were there (who tried to grab me into some shots - I declined), so hopefully that means more pictures will be online, which I think is great.

The pool barely exists, but I didn't care (there's an ocean, yo). The hotel is not in the hub of waikiki but almost at the edge, right by the canal. That was fine for me, but if your plan is to experience Waikiki 100% of the time then you might want to be more centrally located. Other than that I have nothing else to caveat.

Room Tip: Get the suite. Great value. I only wish the hotel had more than 1 of these, because if it's not...
1  Thank yos9694
There are newer reviews for The Equus Hotel

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Little concerned about the hotel given location right on Ala Moana blvd. Found the hotel to be very well maintained, great room (little small) clean well appointed. The staff was excellent. Two drawbacks, with windows open you will hear traffic, however I've been in places in Waikiki that charged twice as much and had worse noise. Oddly accessing the hotel from the parking area is a little bit of a challenge. From parking to the lobby you go out to the street down the sidewalk and up two short flights of stairs and then into the lobby. It was easy but if you have any mobility issues at all it could be difficult. With all that said for $130 a night including tax and parking in Waikiki it was a great value for a quality place. No question I will be back.

2  Thank Garyp50
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had a great weekend here - the room was comfortable and the staff at this hotel are the best! The hotel is located in an area that is within walking distance of Ala Moana's mall and beach park. There are also a lot of really good restaurants in the area which make a night out on the town very convenient. We also loved the polo theme!

Room Tip: I read some of the other reviews and will attest that the lower rooms are not at all noisy. The roo...
2  Thank Gary P
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Renee checked us in & she was so very warm and welcoming! Decor & furniture was very handsome & beautiful..yes both.:-) Manalo served us delicious welcome drinks & happy hours special while we met other guests. Relaxing, lovely & a great ending to our trip..perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor, furthest away from the elevator, great location.
2  Thank AshEllis
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have visited Oahu, so far, on six occasions, usually as a stopover on the way home from the US, and on the last three occasions have stayed at The Equus, simply due to the value for money, décor and location. I have a serious dislike of gaudy floral patterns and bamboo furniture, so the first time I checked in to the Equus was a delight. Love that "European" styling. The rooms are lovely, with a relaxing colour scheme, comfortable bed and good sized flat screen tv, refrigerator and coffee machine. The location is very handy for the Ala Moana Shopping Centre, which is a hub for the public buses and has a large food court and Waikiki is a comfortable walk away. I have to agree with previous comments regarding the noise, on my last visit particularly I noticed the noise from traffic on Ala Moana Boulevard. Aside from the traffic noise, this hotel is a little gem.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs if you're a very light sleeper.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Clova2013
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We did an overnighter at the The Equus, and my daughter and her friends had a fun time swimming in the pool, going on a Selfie Scavenger Hunt in Waikiki and watching the Friday night fireworks rooftop on the 40th floor at the Waikiki Marina Tower next door. Best view in Waikiki! Renee and her team were awesome and made sure our rooms were ready and spotless. They even had fresh pineapple waiting for us upon check in for the special occasion. For happy hour (which I learned the hotel does on Thursdays and Friday afternoons), Justin poured some delicious pineapple guava drinks for the birthday girl and all her friends on the hotel's lanai before they walked over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village lagoon for an afternoon swim. In the morning, the girls enjoyed a short walk to IHOP for breakfast. We've done birthday sleepovers at The Equus for the past two years and plan to keep coming back! Thank you for another great stay!

Room Tip: If you want a more spacious room, opt for one without the lanai which peers into hotel rooms directl...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I am in the last few days of my (nearly) month long stay at the Equus Hotel in Waikiki, and my stay here was nothing short of what I'd want from a hotel. The staff was always friendly, helpful, and caring. They made me feel like family from the first day I was here. It is not a 5-star hotel, but I received much more than I expected for the price paid. The location of the hotel is ideal....just over a block from beaches in two directions, a block from the mall, and walking distance to MANY restaurants. It is at the Ala Moana side of Waikiki, meaning it is still near the 'craziness' of the heart of Waikiki (walking distance), but far enough away to enjoy some peace and quiet too. I would stay here again in a heartbeat, and I am sure at some point in the future I will. Mahalo to all the Equus staff for making my stay enjoyable!

Room Tip: The marina tower would be my preference, if a view is desired
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank alohaorbust
equusmgmt, General Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

alohaorbust,

Big mahalos for your review! We are pleased to hear that our team here could provide you with great incite and suggestions during your visit. It was a pleasure to have you visit us, and we are happy to have provided a great value for location and service. We look forward to your return!

Mahalo,