“Amazing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas City, Missouri
“Amazing”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I had only three days on Oahu and The Equus hotel and the staff made those three days as amazing as possible. Yoshi at the front desk checked me in not only the fastest check in I've ever had.. but also told me where I could go for the night. I came in so late but didn't want to waste an evening at the same time not knowing where to go I didn't know what to do... he told me about three great local bars that were still serving food within walking distance and then gave me the hint to find this great beach beach just two blocks away. The next day ready to go but not knowing where a man named Romeo saw me looking at a island map and guide in the garage and told me about this really cool local beach I could drive to where there wasn't any tourist ( and it wasn't in my island guide btw)... not only were there no tourist there but other than myself and two other people there was no one else on the beach at all it wasn't too hard to find either and it was an amazing afternoon I felt like I had the island to myself. My last day I had a easy late check out but still sometime before my flight left... I was telling the man at the front desk while checking out I believe his name was Puka which I just thought was so cool, and he told me about a hike I could do on my way to the airport it was only an hour really easy walk almost the whole way but a beautiful waterfall at the end,... I couldn't believe it was the perfect end to a too short of a trip but I Thank Puka for that it was awesome.. I really cant wait to return to Oahu and The Equus. My room was beautiful the staff was amazing, it really was just a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mstanford8842
equusmgmt, General Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Mstanford8842,

Many mahalos for sharing such detail regarding your recent stay at The Equus. We appreciate such intricate feedback, as we can then improve our customer experience in every way possible. We are pleased that our guest service team was able to accommodate your requests easily and share some local tips to make your visit a special one. We look forward to your next visit!

mariah@equushotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Front dest John was very helpful and friendly. Also the manager Renne helped me alot and I am so greatful to be serviced with an amazing manager who is going the extra mile for their guest. This is a hotel with a Aloha service. Thank you guys

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank junster808
junster808,

It was a pleasure to host you in your recent visit to The Equus. We are happy to share our aloha spirit, and welcome you to our Equus 'ohana. We will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to our team members for making your experience a memorable one. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your next visit!

Beijing, China
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

It's just a small boutique hotel. Its front desk is open to the road, you cannot hear what they say. They look to be very kind but service is not like that. You shoud double check all the time to make sure. I have to shout my name to let them know my room number, and they always call me different person. You cannot meet same staff during staying. Just one staff is standing at the front , waiting line is always long.

I don't know why they are ranked so highly.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank yunabella
yunabella,

Aloha and mahalo for your recent visit, and taking the time to share your concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced while communicating with our team. It is certainly not the experience we expect our guests to have, as you are our absolute priority. We will be sure to address this concern with our team members and ensure that we spend extra time with each guest to understand their specific needs. Please allow us to host you on your next visit to Waikiki, and we would be happy to show you a much improved experience.

Mahalo for helping us to improve our services,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were very impressed by the Equus its so friendly and welcoming it made my husband and my self feel very welcome . The rooms were very comfortable and relaxing and very clean. The staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for us. I would like to say thank you very much to Kika John , Clarence, Romero Jaquie and all the other people l haven't jotted down. We can't wait to go back from Heather & Steve from Aussie

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Heather & Steve,

Many mahalos for your review, and your recent visit to The Equus. We were certainly sad to see you both go! We were blessed with your presence and are grateful that you chose to stay with us. It was a pleasure serving you, and we look forward to many more visits to come!

Cucuta, Colombia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Great staff, excellent customer service. The room was clean and tidy, bed was very comfy and big what you see on the pictures is what you get. Concierge John went particularly out of his way to make us and another guest feel welcome and valued as a customer. John took the time to advise us about places to visit. All the staff where there to meet us with a smiley face on our way in or out of the hotel. The family owned culture within the hotel really shines through. Highly recommended. location is 5 minutes walk from the Ala Moana mall and there are buses that take you everywhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
yulyrivers,

Aloha and mahalo for your recent stay at The Equus. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and that we could make your visit to Hawaii a memorable one. We will be sure to pass along your kind regards to our team. We wish you the best in the New Year, and hope for a return visit sometime soon!

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Although I would prefer a vacation rental outside the hustle and bustle of Honolulu, I was on a tight budget during my most recent trip to Oahu. We (my husband, 6 month old baby, and self) chose the Equus as our home base.

Our room (two double beds with a mini fridge on the 8th floor) faced other hotels and the marina. Our total for five nights with taxes plus parking was just over $650, which is a steal in Waikiki. The room wasn't too noisy, it was clean and had decent water pressure. The customer service was excellent. The folks at the front desk and the concierge were very friendly and helpful.

The only things that might be negative (which were not issues for us at all) were that you have to climb a flight of stairs to get to the front desk. I could be mistaken but I did not see an elevator to get to the front desk. So if you have a lot of bags or are unable to walk this could be a problem. The other issue was that there are only about ten parking spaces under the hotel. These are $20 a day. There is parking across the street for the same price. We were able to get a parking space on site for each of the six days that we were there.

The location was very close to the Waikiki Beach the Hilton resort complex with all of its restaurants and shops.

The next time we have to stay in Honolulu for budget reasons we will definitely return to this friendly hotel. It was a very good value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LisainAK
LisainAK,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Equus. We appreciate your detailed feedback, and will be sure to improve our services from your recommendations. We are happy to have been able to provide you and your family with value in Waikiki. Our goal is to provide an outstanding experience for our guests, and to host them like 'ohana.

Regarding the stairs, there is a one-flight staircase off the street to check-in at the lobby. We provide Bell Service to assist with luggage storage and any other needs checking in or out. Parking on-site is limited to 16 stalls and the rate of $20/night is one of the lowest in Waikiki. We do offer an off-site lot at the same price, if necessary. However, our location is perfect for walking to both Ala Moana beach Park, or Waikiki Beach, as well as shopping at Ala Moana Center. We would recommend renting a car only during the times in which you will travel around Oahu, as parking in Waikiki is generally expensive, and driving is not ideal to experience everything in the area.

Again, we appreciate the time you have dedicated to sharing your experience, and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Mahalo,

Waialua, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I was impressed when I first walked in. There is great attention to detail I really appreciated the time they put in to making me feel welcome. The room was so beautiful and the beds were super comfortable I slept like a baby. There was an awesome Kurig and little fridge with a freezer which came in handy! I loved the huge mirrors all over it made getting ready a much smoother process. I would definitely recommend it to all of my friends and anyone who comes to visit Oahu.

• Stayed December 2013
Livlovetravelin,

Aloha and thank you for your recent visit to The Equus. It was a pleasure to host you, and we are pleased that we were able to provide just what you were looking for during your stay. We look forward to many more visits in the future!

Mahalo,