“Excellent Hotel in Waikiki”
Review of The Equus Hotel

The Equus Hotel
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Excellent Hotel in Waikiki”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We absolutely love this hotel! The rooms are very comfortable, quiet and clean. The Polo themed decor is a really cool - from the pictures and guestbook all the way to how they fold a small horse origami in your room, they really pay attention to fine detail. Rene, Paulo and the rest of the staff care to your every need and really make you feel special. Located at the beginning of Waikiki there are plenty of places to shop and eat nearby. The harbor is located a block away and offers spectacular sunset views for those who like to explore.

Room Tip: The hotel is surprisingly quiet - from what we have seen every room is excellent.
3 Thank Gary P
equusmgmt, General Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Gary P,

Many Mahalos for choosing to stay with The Equus, and for your kind comments. We appreciate the extra time you took to let us know about your experience. It is important to our team to provide excellent service and leave our guests with fond memories. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the small details that we offer. We will be sure to pass along your gratitude to our team. Your review will provide us with great motivation to continue hosting our guests with aloha. Please contact us anytime regarding Polo as we would be happy to provide you with complimentary passes as each of our guests at The Equus receive during their stay.

mariah@equushotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Korean first
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I found this hotel through kayak>amoma.com but had some issues with amoma.com. Amoma originally had reserved for three night and wanted to add an extra night. Had some issues adding an extra night and talked to customer service via email and phone at Amoma and they assured me that an extra night was added and processed. Checked my reservation a little while later and they still had me for three nights but charged me $122 for another night (which was never added). I called equus and spoke to an amazing staff member at the hotel named Rene. Originally they could not find my reservation dates or name at all, Rene found out the hotel was never booked in my name but in my gf's name (my guest which I listed) and it still stated I only reserved for three nights instead of four. She went the whole nine yards and more to investigate and see what was going on(called them and waited on phone and emailed them, told me to recheck bank acct, and did amazing follow ups via email and phone for two days). Eventually amoma contacted myself and Rene,they stated they would refund me the $122 because they charges for a night when there were no open rooms at that time (weird to charge for nothing).

Never again will I book through Amoma, poor customer service, impossible to get a hold of them. It was very frustrating trying to get stuff processed but Rene assured and was by my side on top of everything and extremely friendly. She found out the problem and took her time to fix it(reserved an extra night for a lower price than Amoma's rate). I should of booked straight from hotel. Talking with Rene eased my mind because she showed professionalism, kindness, was thorough, & thoughtful. Wanted to say much mahalo to Rene. Appreciate all the help and aloha spirit through all the hecticness of me and my gf moving from Hawaii to Las Vegas. Much luck to you Rene! Aloha! :)

3 Thank Andingle
Andingle,

Our sincerest apologies for such an ordeal while booking through a third party site. We do not wish such an experience on anyone, and only hope that we were able to provide some assistance during this time. We are happy that Rene, our Guest Service Manager was there to guide you through the process, and you were able to solve the issue in the end. Auwe! We hope that you are faring well in your new location, Las Vegas, and that you will let us know when you return to Hawaii on your next visit!

TAMPA
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed at the Equus in March 2014, and I must say this was the best Local hotel I could of chosen. I was welcomed with nothing less than a warm Hawaiian welcome and my arrival was given the very best attention that exceeded what was expected. The Equus in my experience, rendered to me as a customer more than what was paid for. I was greeted by Ms. Renne and the entire staff was so pleasant and helpful. While I was checking in,, my bags were taken to my room and everything was set up for me without me even noticing that it was being done as I couldn't keep up with the swiftness of the service. The Equus is a very nice clean and comfortable Hawaiian Hotel that makes you feel at home. It is located on Ala moana Blvd., which is near to the Ala moana shopping center and near to Waikiki Beach. Just a few minutes walking and everything about a great stay in Hawaii is at your reach. They even helped me with my tours on the Island, like the Polynesian Center Tour and the Island Tour, and was very helpful to provide information about any questions that I had. The rooms are very nice and they have a wonderful staff who attends to whatever your needs are in a very prompt manner. I must say that I had such a wonderful time at the Equus that after returning home I had to call them to say Thank You for making our stay the most wonderful experience we could of ever imagine of having in Hawaii. My name is Nick and when you stay there ask for Renne or Packu, They are just a few of the wonderful people on the entire staff.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony
2 Thank annlauth
equusmgmt, General Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
annlauth,

Big mahalos for taking the time to review your experience at The Equus. It is a pleasure to have hosted you during your visit to Waikiki, and we are happy to have made a positive impression. We are pleased that you feel you received a great value for the price paid for service, location and amenities. We strive to provide a customized experience to each of our unique guests. We truly enjoy getting to know our visitors and hope to host them as part of our 'ohana while they are in Waikiki. It is our duty as ambassadors of the islands to share our culture and ensure that our guests experience Hawai'i to its fullest.

We hope that you continue to share your experiences and created lasting memories during your stay. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We visited Hawaii for two weeks in March 2014 and our first few days were spent at the Equus.
While in Hawaii we stayed at the Equus, Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt (we used points earned during previous business travel for everything but the Equus)

The Equus is a quaint boutique hotel on Ala Moana in Waikiki. The rooms, while small, are well equipped and very well maintained. The hotel is well staffed with helpful, friendly personnel. Wi-Fi is fast, reliable and FREE!

This property, all things considered is the best value in Waikiki. When you visit Waikiki you don't spend any time in a hotel. You walk around, go to the beach, shop, and hit the bars and the restaurants.

Stay at the Equus for less than half of what you would spend at any other property and use the savings to enjoy Waikiki.

I give this property a five star PLUS! I will stay there again on my next visit to Waikiki.

Green Features: The rooms are designed to minimize energy consumption. I loved the fact that there was no alarm clock. With a smart phone or a tablet, who uses an alarm clock? Way to go Equus management!
4 Thank Hoary H H
Pepeekeo, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Mahalo to puka, rene and jackie for making me and my family feel at home, always going over and beyond, my housekeeper fely for doing an excellent job with her service, I will come back to this hotel. I will also let my friends and family know about the equus.

1 Thank maile2012
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Rene, the property manager, was great and she took great care of us and made sure we were happy and comfortable. The room on the 10th floor was nicely decorated and very large for what I've experienced in the area.

Highly recommended. Convenient. Affordable.

The only negative is the parking situation.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Equus hotel with my best friend and it exceeded all of our expectations. The room accommodations were beautiful. The staff were so friendly, attentive and helpful. Especially the front desk manager "Rene." She was the queen of aloha spirit. The location of the hotel was great. Really close to all the main attractions. And compared to other hotels it was very affordable. I am definitely staying here again the next time I visit Oahu!