“Nicest Staff I've ever Met”
Review of The Equus Hotel

The Equus Hotel
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Nicest Staff I've ever Met”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I arrived in Hawaii on August 6th at 4:30 AM. I was not able to sleep on the flight, but knew I needed to waste time before check-in at 3:00 pm in the afternoon. I went to breakfast, went to the Swap Meet and by the time I didn't know what else to do I decided to just drive to the hotel and see if I could check in early expecting to hear a " No" I was half prepared to take a nap in the lobby or walk the beach. At 9:30 AM I arrived at The Equus. I was greeted by the Valet (I'll get to their amazing service later). The valet helped me bring my luggage up where I was greeted by a smiling face. His name was Kevin. I asked if there was any possibility of checking in early. He apologized and said that check in was at 3. I explained that I hadn't slept in 24 hours, and if there was anything that could be done to please let me know. He said he'd look up and see what could be available seeing that the cleaning crews probably weren't available to clean a room so quickly. Kevin welcomed me to sit in the lobby, letting me know where a plug was so I could charge my dying phone. As I got comfortable in the lobby chair, and took a few work calls (real estate never stops, vacation or not) I all of a sudden saw Kevin come over and let me know that he found a room for me! I was ecstatic!! It had only been 10 minutes!!!!! I was able to check into my room at 9:45 AM. I felt like the staff truly cared! I had a little trouble getting into my room and a staff member stayed with my stuff while I went down to get a new key. Valet! Just as amazing!! After one day they knew exactly which car was mine and immediately ran off to grab it when I'd come around the corner! Totally worth the 20 bucks (ish) a night!! Always a smiling face, always a friendly attitude. I cannot wait to come back to Hawaii and I cannot wait to book another room at the Equus!!!!!!!

Room Tip: 9th floor was amazing - quiet except for a little street noise.
Green Features: Loved that you had to put your room key in a slot to turn on a/c ... I'm all about greener facilities!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Vanesa W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We first stayed at their condo rentals until I found we had critters ( roaches) staying with us. I called the desk and asked to change rooms. The person said they had nothing else available. So I carefully checked all our belongings, packed them in the suit cases, and walked down to the desk with all of our things. I told the man at the front desk I refused to stay there do he gave me the room keys to an upgraded condo on the highest floor. I went to the room to check it and as soon as I walked to the kitchen counter I saw roaches crawling all over it. I went back to the desk at told him I don't want to stay there at all. So he gave us a room at the Equus. A lot cleaner but no longer had a view and definitely downgraded in size. My main issue was that he was lazy and had none of these other rooms available before I walked down to the desk.

• Stayed December 2013
Hawaiian Islands
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I just booked a room for a special event in Waikiki and will be staying at the Equus...my favorite boutique hotel there. I left a phone message requesting my date with them and within hours I got a call from the manager herself confirming my reservation. An email followed with the confirmation and new info about handicap access to the hotel and that valet parking is now available. I am looking forward to my time with these nice people, and their hotel perfectly located right across from the Yacht club where my "in town" event is happening. Yay, Equus.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GOODART
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 August 2014

THANK YOU to everyone at the Equus Hotel for making my destination wedding so special! Having a group of family and friends travel from Australia to attend my wedding was one thing but all staying at the same hotel with great service and so accommodating was the cherry on the top! Thank you to Kika and Rene for overseeing accommodations for my family and friends and a special thank you to Puka for always greeting and being attentive to all my guests no matter what the request would be, and to Jackie for going above and beyond for my family. Thank you to all the staff of Equus Hotel for being so helpful during and after my wedding, my husband and I cannot thank you all enough! It was surly our home away from home! Location was so convenient to everything especially last minute shopping and this wedding was one that my family and friends would never forget! So thank you to everyone at the Equus Hotel for making our wedding extra special!
Love always, Mr and Mrs Foifua!

Room Tip: Higher floors have great WIFI service and are very spacious.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Are softball team stayed here for a tournament. The staff was incredible they were so helpful. They loaned us boogie boards for the girls and beach mats. Also very helpful with places to see and visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Sousse
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had a room with at moin 5 dead cockroach by all. I reserve
 Two months in advance all inclusive I think like that have a nice room and I get the receptionist told me that the garden view room and it was a room with a view of nothing the worse of the hotel and I not think there's worse. incompetent and unhelpful reception. I never go back and I recommend anyone to go there !!! I'm really disappointed :(

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

3 Thank Helmi S
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Admittedly a bit spoiled from our trip to Turtle Bay on the North Shore, we were somewhat disappointed with the Equus. Carpets were stained, walls were thin, and cigarette smoke kept wafting into our room (we were on the second floor). To its credit, the staff was vey friendly and the beds super comfortable. It was inexpensive and close to transit and walk away from beach. Although we would not stay here again, I can agree that the price point was excellent for the area.

Green Features: Wonderfully environmentally conscious! Requires a key to turn on main lights and A/C once in the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple