“Clean, comfortable, and a great value...”
Review of The Equus Hotel

The Equus Hotel
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
TX
“Clean, comfortable, and a great value...”
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Stayed 6 nights recently at the Equus and have to say I was very pleased with this hotel. It is away from the "center" of Waikiki but that was fine with us. I had no problem with traffic noise at night which seem to be on every review for any hotel in/close to the center of Waikiki. The front desk staff was awesome...no request wasn't met. We changed rooms without any problem (A/C concern), were provided beach towels, local information, late check out provided...then extended even later when we couldn't make that. Just a great staff! The bed was extremely comfortable. I slept great! the shower/bathroom was a little small, but not cramped. There is an ABC store at the other end of the block, several restuarants close by(even more if you count the ones in the Ala Moana Mall...not the food court but the restuarants on the higher levels Morton's Steakhouse, Tanaka, etc.) Breakfast can be had at the 24 hr diner 5 -7 mins away (walk) just down the street; eggs/bacon/all you can eat pancakes for about $6.
Overall, a great value if booked early...less than $70 a night. You won't like this if you want to be in the middle of everything. If you're looking to save money and plan on spending time in other parts of the island anyway, this is a good option. Our time was spent on beaches away from Waikiki and we had good access to the highway from here. The Bus system is great for getting into the center of Waikiki if you don't want to look/mess with parking and probably cheaper than the parking would be anyway.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I selected this property based on reviews and price. The nightly rate was under $ 100 and the room was clean and cozy. Bed very comfortable, shower/bathroom small but adequate. A/C worked well enough, although we were unable to turn up the ac past a certain point.
The hotel is located on a busy street which is quite noisy until about 10pm. It starts up again around 7am, so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. We were up on the 8th fl and could still hear the traffic. The patio overlooked the apartment building next door and it was way too hot to sit outside anyway, so we never used it.
The Ala Moana Shopping center is around the corner, about a 10 min walk, if shopping is of interest. The beach at the Hilton Hawaiian Village is about a 10-15 min walk, although crowded and the water seemed pretty dirty while we were there. Prefer Ala Moana Beach park in the other direction, but a further walk.
Waikiki is about a 20 min walk from the hotel, we did it a couple of times to have dinner and then took a taxi back.
The hotel pool is tiny, no lounge chairs that we saw. Not especially inviting, but ok for a dip if desired. The continental breakfast is a joke, coffee, juice, the same fruit (melon, pineapple) every morning and some unappetizing rolls, a few pastries, and those didn't look so great either. Wouldn't take much to improve with icewater, some butter and jam and a variation of fruit and fresh rolls/toast.
The staff was hospitable and pleasant. We didn't use the parking, but did rent a Hertz car at the Hilton for the day and toured the island. There are other car rental agencies in the area as well that might be worth comparing rates to. Took VIP transfer ($20 rd trip), and that worked out well. www.viptrans.com.
Overall, the room was clean and adequate size, the bed comfortable the rate was good. If you're looking for a reasonable, clean place and don't care about frills, ocean views, and don't mind walking into Waikiki, this hotel is fine. We spent most of our time exploring and for a few days it worked for us.

• Stayed August 2009
East Coast, USA
Reviewed 18 August 2009

My two girlfriends agreed that the Polo and Hawaiian theme throughout the hotel was interesting and elegant. Our room was comfortable (beds are nice!) and we were so happy that we were just steps from the beach, our favorite restaurants and starbucks were in the same block and the Ala Moana mall was just a short, lovely walk over the bridge on the Ala Wai Canal. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel for three nights at the end of July. It was a great little hotel with extremely comfortable beds and nicely renovated rooms. Our room was on the small side, but had a king-size bed and a LCD TV.

Pros:
-Excellent Price - I paid $75/night
-Location is within walking distance (15 minutes) to the beach. About 20 minutes to the major shops and restaurants along Waikiki Beach.
-Very comfortable beds (I stay in a hotel 3 nights a week for work and this bed is one of the most comfortable)

Cons:
-Could be noisy depending on the time of day. We were on the 9th floor out of 10 total and you could easily hear traffic, but it died down later on in the evening.
-The breakfast was a joke. I realize it says continental breakfast, but this one was ludacris. They shouldn't even say they offer breakfast. We went down our first morning and there was coffe, orange juice and one dinner roll. We tried the next morning and they had the same plus two pastries a little fruit.
-Parking was $18 a day , but that seems about average for the hotels in that area.
-Super small shower. You could barely turn around.

Overall this was a great hotel for people who are budget conscious, yet still want a clean comfortable room within walking distance to major attractions.

They do offer free internet, but I had to borrow a modem (no extra cost) from the front desk.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deder81
DC
Reviewed 8 August 2009

i was in Hawaii for a business trip, but wanted to have some time to relax and be a tourist.

this hotel was right near waikiki and ala moana shopping center, i was able to walk into waikiki as well as catch a bus from ala moana to anywhere my heart desired!

this is a VERY charming and quaint hotel, not decorated like a typical hotel.

lovely stay. thank you!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank rosalita_dc
california
Reviewed 8 August 2009

This hotel was GREAT! As many of the other reviews have stated the beds were amazing, if only I could have taken it home, and extra pillows not needed the beds are well stocked. The staff was INCREDIBLE! They were very helpful in assisting me with directions to local eatery and sightseeing. They did everything with a smile. I wish I could name every one of the staff members that I met that was friendly but it is just too much as they all were great. From front desk, housekeeping, even the maintenance all offered assistance to me.
I was traveling with a very young infant and my significant other and this hotel really made me feel like a part of their OHANA. (family) I was so grateful to find this spectacular hotel on my brief stay at a great price. Complimentary breakfast, Tuesday night management cocktail, flat screen TV and internet; that was more than a simple person like me really needed and was absolutely appreciative.
Again I want to thank all the staff for my pleasant stay and my great time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Edinburg, Virginia
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I recommended this hotel to all my friends because I loved the staff and rooms! The beds were very comfortable and stacked with pillows (felt like a soft cloud), i love the horsey local polo photos on the walls, and the front desk people were so nice! The hotel staff really was so friendly and happy to help, it was a relief from the monotony of the mainland hotels.
Rene and Mariah at the front desk and the pillowy beds made my stay wonderful!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple