“Cheap and in need of updating”

Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
Ranked #83 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Hurst, United Kingdom
“Cheap and in need of updating”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights and whilst the location was ok the rest was disappointing. The room was ok but really dated and as with the rest of the Hotel, in dire need of updating. The biggest challenge was getting from lobby and into the room. As many others have commented, the room keys worked about 1 in 10 attempts for the lift or room, very frustrating.
However, I guess you get what you pay for , very reasonable price for Waikiki Hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We read some really bad reviews about this hotel, but thought maybe others are a bit more demanding than us. Well, not this time. Our flight was late arriving, when we checked in, it was a breeze and we were quite pleased. The room is a bit dated, but size is adequate, so we did not mind that. However, our nightmares started the next day. Our keys keep failing to work in the elevator as well as for the room. In the elevator, when the key does not work, we just "hitch" a ride with other guests when they used their key card. We approached the front desk and told them what happened and each time the reply was "you did not align the key card properly?" or "you bend the card too much", etc. We watched and talked to other guests, and were told they have similar experience with their keys so it is definitely not an isolated incident. One day, neither of our cards worked and we have to get back to the room right the way, as usual, when we approached the front desk, the clerk did not believe us, so we told her to try it herself. She went to our room and she could not open our door with our keys either. They called security and 2 of them showed up and neither of them could open our door with their master keys either. They called maintenance and at first they thought it was the battery that went dead, but after replacing that, it still did not work. Finally they replaced the whole key card unit and replaced it with a new one and from then on, we have no trouble entering our room. What I am trying to say is, why didn't they believe in the guests but instead made liars of us? We wasted so much time going up and down to get "new keys" to try to open our door. The worse thing is out of three elevators, two of them were out of service majority of the time while we stayed there the 11 days, one time it took 25 minutes before the elevator came! Also, had a bad experience with security that I reported to management, he promised to investigate but he never return with any explanation. All in all, this is one of the worse hotel stay that we had for a long time and it is just too stressful when you are in Hawaii on vacation!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank coolandyboy

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Captain Cook, Hawaii
Reviewed 18 January 2014

PROS (THINGS I LIKED)
1. Great location within walking distance of Waikiki area yet on edge of Ala Wai for greater quiet.
2. I had a room with a gorgeous view of the city and mountains on 18th floor for an extremely reasonable price.
3. Desk clerks were fantastic and extremely welcoming and helpful.
4. Room and bathroom were kept very clean.
5. Room furnished with everything I needed and was pleasant and comfortable.
6. I had requested a few mire pillows and they put six comfy pillows on the bed! I appreciated that!

CONS (THINGS THAT NEED IMPROVING)
1. air-condition unit in room was small and very noisy. I turned it off. Windows didn't open.
2. No lanai (balcony).
3. Key card didn't work well and had to be exchanged.
4. No wifi in room. I rented a router/wif-fi device but couldn't get it to work with my Mac Air, but they were quick to the charge.
5. Mattress was too firm and hard.
6. Carpet was old and questionable.

Room Tip: 1812 was high up, not noisy, and with a dynamite view. The moon rising over the mountains was stunni...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank konakayaklady
Lithonia, Georgia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I arrived to this hotel on 12/19/2013 and left on 12/21/2013. My room was small and semi cozy. The bathroom was definitely the smallest I have ever seen. The a/c is an old antique in the window that made noise and blows directly on you in the bed. They have no ice machine and no service. I will not be going back to this hotel again. Oh yeah, on two different night I saw small roaches that I had to kill. My keys didn't work a couple of times and I would have to go to the lobby to get them adjusted. Oh yeah, expensive parking $20 dollars a day!! John Palmer

Room Tip: Find a different hotel unless you enjoy the things I write about above. I was on the 17th floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John P
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monarch for 2 weeks. The staff are just great. the hotel was built in 1978, and not any upgrade since then. But for the price, clean, everything works, Safe, Secure, very helpful for any bus information. If you love hiking and getting out of the Waikiki strip and doing your own thing on Public transport, it is a great place to stay, as you are never in the room. The locals that live in the building so helpful, they will steer you where to eat on a budget, The staff outstanding in their knowledge of bus routes. I spent a lot of time as a single person travelling on local transport, and saw so much, that other travellers would not bother to do. I saved so much money by asking questions each day to the reception staff. If you are not on a budget, do not stay here, but if you are a bit of a trekker, and love to walk, it is great. I met the most amazing people by walking and getting out of the norm .I went around the Island for $2.50 on a bus. Private tour $250.00 see what I mean! Just do your homework. The buses take longer, but you meet the locals, and you get to feel the reality of what the real Hawaiians are about .It is a safe place to stay. The crime rate very low. As a single female, I never had any issues. I went out every night alone.There is so much free stuff in Hawaii. Every Friday night the Hyatt put on fireworks, and encourage outsiders to admire. The walk to diamond head, from the hotel fantastic. Diamond head shopping precinct much cheaper to eat at and shop. Good luck, Judy.

Room Tip: Face the mountains, very attractive and less sun on the windows in the afternoon.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Judy K
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Don't except too much. Room is small with coffee machine, microwave oven and TV. Insulation is poor. I can hear every word from room next door. Parking is expensive, $20 per night. Staffs are helpful. Location is good. Short walk to the beach. Price is right. For one night stay, it is ok but I wouldn't stay longer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SunnyToronto_Canada
Fairbank, Iowa
Reviewed 9 December 2013

If you need a cheap place to sleep in Honolulu, this is an ok place. The room was small and needed a lot of updating. I had a lot of trouble with my keys not working for my room and the elevators. Parking was $20/night. No internet service or ice machine. Only good thing was the front desk people, they were very nice. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family