“Hilton Hawaiian Village”

Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Elk Grove, United States
“Hilton Hawaiian Village”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Extensive hotel grounds provide everything you need - multiple swimming pools, numerous dining establishments, a variety of shopping experiences, and plenty of entertainment. It is also a very busy hotel with a lot of guests from around the world.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,559)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here on business for 4 nights in December 2013. I'll go through the negatives first as I feel there were many more positives to outweigh them...

My first impression is that the hotel was very busy. I had Hilton Honors VIP check-in and I still had to wait 15-20 minutes to be helped. The size of the hotel property made it feel like a small city but it had a ton of people walking around at all times (very busy, again).

That's about it for the negatives so on to the positives....

The hotel is in a great location about a 20 minutes taxi ride from the airport (could be closer to 30-45 minutes in traffic). It is also right on the beach so you don't need to walk far to set up your beach towel and relax all day.

There are a ton of shops on the hotel property from gift stores, to Starbucks, to Louis Vuitton, and much more. You could spend a few hours or more just shopping within the grounds of the hotel. It's also a fairly short walk from the main strip of town where all the shopping and restaurants are.

There are also a lot of food options on the hotel property. I didn't try any of them except for the smoothie bar where I had breakfast each morning (get the Chunky Monkey!!).

The gym facilities are very nice but can be busy so make sure to go early. Lots of machines, a spa, etc.

I stayed in a standard double room. It was pretty, well, standard. No complaints but nothing to write home about either. I didn't pay for the hotel so I can't really comment on price.

All-in-all it was a great experience and a very nice hotel. I would definitely look in to staying here again if I came back to Honolulu.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Nick N
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Not entirely sure why - but I love this place. Yes, it's a touristy place but there is something very endearing about this place. We've stayed here now on 4 occasions. And it was a lifelong dream to get our kids over here one day. And that day finally arrived to celebrate graduating from high school.

We had a wonderful time. STayed pretty busy to the point we didn't really use many of the on site restaurants other than the Pronto Pickle but it was a good stay nonetheless.

Our rooms were in the rainbow tower - two connecting rooms on the opposite side of Diamond head overlooking the marina. It was very nice. The only complaint I have about the rooms are the sliding doors of the bathroom. Whoever thought this was a good idea - well - it's just not private enough for me.

Our rooms were cleaned every day and the ladies in housekeeping were always pleasant in speaking to us whenever we left our rooms.

We pretty much covered our bases of things to do in Honolulu so on the road all day - but coming home to this place was a treat each night. Just to sit in the rocking chairs by the lobby, or grab a DVD to watch as we would head to bed or just go sit outside on the seawall and watch surfers - it was just pleasant.

Very much a family atmosphere. I love Hilton Hawaiian Village...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank conwaymomma
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

So in June 2014 I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a night. My first impression of this resort was that it is absolutely massive. This place I did find to be extremely crowded, and loud. The lady at the front desk named Lynn was very friendly and helpful. At 10 am, she not only checked me in, but upgraded me to a Garden view Jr. Suite due to my Diamond rank in Hilton Honors. I was put in the tapa tower which has been renovated in 2008. My room, T3258 was quite nice, and clean. It had two double beds, and a sleeper sofa. The balcony had an incredible view of Diamond Head, and some ocean. Although I was pleased with the room, I eventually found some wear and tear. Some corners of the wall were beat up, and paint was pealing. Overall though, the room was nice, and clean. Service was great in the resort. Everyone was friendly, and professional. I only ate once at the property. The tropics bar and grill in my experience was awful. The atmosphere was nice, but the service was really really bad. Our server was rude, awkward, and simply did not know what he was doing. My pizza was good. However, my Mom ordered fish and lettuce. She is on a strict diet. When she received her dish, the lettuce had cheese and dressing on it which she specifically asked to remove. Our server was very unapologetic, but brought the new dish. This time, the fish was not cooked completely, and was ice cold. this process happened three times. The server never apologized, and did nothing about it. I expect better service. I will never eat here again, and advise you not to either. The beach is beautiful, and clear. There are many activities, and pools including a salt water lagoon. If you like lots of things to do, and want a nice location, choose this. But be warned, it gets very busy. I will stay here again, but not dine here again.

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank hotelsrockk
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I felt very spoilt. I booked the Hilton 50 year anniversary deal and my 5thnight was $50, However with a $50 credit also awarded that night was free. Accommodation was wonderful, in a tower close to the beach with a water view over the lagoon and the marina. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. It was clean and very roomy. Lots of restaurants and shops to wander through. Though it is easy 10 minute walk to Waikiki I was glad to be away from the rush and bustle of the busy town centre which doesn't feel like an island holiday to me. I can get that back home. I loved the atmosphere. The ABC shops are amazing. They sell so much from gifts, clothes and souvenirs to food, photography accessories. and snacks. I would definitely stay here again. The only negative was the AC noise as my room was close to the lifts. I did get used to it though.

Room Tip: Try to get a room up high for a good view. Close to the lifts is noisier for the AC noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Aussie_Naomi
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Pros:

- Excellent location. You get out of the room and you're already in Waikiki beach.
- Lots of on-site activities. You can go snorkeling, kayaking, surfing, etc, without the need to take a taxi or bus.
- Clean, comfortable room. Furniture looks new.

Cons:

- Terrible, terrible wifi. Slow and unstable.
- Staff can be RUDE! So, the hotel organizes this luau every evening and if you want to participate you can either pay $125/person or watch a sales presentation (where they try to sell you a time-shared apartment). We chose the presentation - and boy, did we regret it! It was supposed to take 2 hours but it took 3 and when we said no they got mad at us - really mad. I didn't mind that, but then they said they wouldn't give us our luau tickets! I was traveling with my sister and they said she didn't qualify for the tickets because she's married and her husband wasn't there (!?). We insisted and started warning the people waiting for the next presentation that it was all a scam. Then one of the employees threatened to call security, we threatened to call the police, unkind words were exchanged, it was a real Jerry Springer episode. In the end we talked to one of the hotel hostesses and she got us our tickets (btw, she is the only staff member of which we have positive things to say - her name is Thelma Saires and she went out of her way to help us choose tours, get good deals, etc, always with a genuine smile on her face; so far she's the only staff member who's apologized to us about the luau on behalf of Hilton - we haven't been contacted by any managers or by the idiots who insulted us in the first place). Oh, about the luau: food was mediocre - bland and unremarkable - but the show was good.

Room Tip: Who cares about the view, just get out and go to the beach!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank thiagomarzagao
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The Pro's:
Convenient location; lots to do for all ages including direct beach access, paddle boarding, paddle boats, snorkeling, movie nights, lei making, shopping, feeding penguins, flip flop making, etc. The free wifi worked great and there were no connectivity issues. Stayed in Rainbow Tower with lagoon view so we would be close to both the super pool and paradise pool. Both pools were clean and the paradise pool with the water slides was a great addition to the property. There are lots of food options on and off property which can accommodate all budgets. We tried the Italian restaurant on property and it was surprisingly good!

The only thing that was a little bit of a let down is that the room could use refresher as it was a bit outdated. However, it was very clean and did suit our family needs (two double beds and a bathtub). This was my third stay at this particular property (previously stayed in Suite in Rainbow Tower and king room in Alii Tower) and both those rooms were exceptional.

Overall, we loved our stay, had tons of fun and would definitely stay at this property again on our next visit!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family