“Great hotel and resort for families with children”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #43 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney
“Great hotel and resort for families with children”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Thirteen of us inclusive of two small children travelled to Hawaii for my sisters 50th birthday and chose the Hilton Hawaiian Village due to the good reviews and the kids club and activities available. We arrived to find a hive of activity with so many happy people buzzing around in what seemed like a small town within Honolulu itself. We were efficiently checked in to our room on level 29 in the Tapa Tower which had a great view of the beach, ocean and city. Two members of our party paid extra to stay in the Rainbow Tower which had a larger room and even better ocean views. Our room had a king bed and was spacious and clean with a very comfortable bed and up to date fittings, we found the staff all efficient and friendly throughout our visit. The resort in itself was fantastic for large groups as there were several different towers each with their own pool and shops, a large number of different restaurants that were part of the resort and some independent as well. Basically you could spend your entire holiday in the resort without leaving but of course you must get out and about to visit some of the other must see sights such as Pearl Harbour. It is also an easy 10-15 minute walk to Ala-Moana shopping centre.

The only couple of negatives I can think of was that people reserve the beach chairs near the pools first thing in the morning by placing a towel on the chairs and then go away for breakfast so if you are late you will miss out as you will see all of the empty chairs covered in towels (there are signs saying this isn't allowed but it isn't policed). Secondly, some of our party went to the Luau in the resort and found it to be a very expensive and very average experience basically the food was inedible, i would suggest doing one of the Luau's such as Paradise Cove or Germaine's but check their reviews here first!

Room Tip: The Rainbow Tower seemed to have the best views of the ocean and beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ocahan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,609)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Let me begin by saying I had high expectations for this resort. From 2000-2004, I spent about 4 to 6 weeks each year in the Ali'i Tower, their high end "royal" tower. I live in Los Angeles, and this is when there was the annual Season Pass through AirTrans for unlimited flights from LAX to Hawaii for $1700. Back then, their service at this resort was pretty incredible. Soon after, I started to go to Los Cabos and Cancun regularly and fell in love with Mexico. You get so much more and pay so much less in Mexico than Hawaii, and before you know it a decade had passed. For real, you will pay a third and get 3 times more.

So, I decided it was time to go back to Hawaii for my first anniversary with my wife. I was really looking forward to this visit as it had been so long since I had been to Hawaii. Since the rates on the website were quite pricey, I looked for alternative deals from other vendors. I was able to find a much better deal via Costco travel for an ocean view Ali'i room for 33% cheaper, the resort fees were already included, and there were free transfers to and from the airport. I called the hotel directly and asked the manager if I could book through them and if they would match the Costco rate, so, I could add a room request. They told me if Costco offers a cheaper rate that I should book with them. I found this confusing, as I would assume that the hotel would like for the customer to book directly through them especially on an advertised rate rather than having us go through a third party.

A week before our arrival, I called a manager at the front desk, and I confirmed our reservation. I asked to see if I could reserve my room prior to our arrival. After telling her that it was our first anniversary and my previous history with the hotel, I was told that they would put us in an ocean front room on a high floor. This was a single upgrade from the ocean view room we had paid for. From my previous experiences, they would upgrade me to an ocean front room even if I had booked a resort view room based on my frequent patronage. This was such a nice unexpected surprise based on how long it had been since I'd been there. That is until we arrived and found that we were booked in the room we had paid for. It was annoying because it was something that was offered. If it wasn't, I would have been fine with the ocean front room.

Upon arrival, it was clear that much had changed over the decade I was gone. The dramatic view from the lobby was gone as there was a major reconstruction of the lobby. Previously, it was a stunning ocean view that would take your breath away. I'm sure it's back to it's former glory now, but it was terrible during our stay. The main things that had changed were the level of service and how truly crowded it was. Service was almost nonexistent because there simply were too many guests at the resort. There was a real DMV feel to it now, even at the front desk of the Ali'i tower. It was more of a feeling that they were just trying to keep up with the sheer number of guests rather than making the experience nice. I was disappointed as people pay more to stay in the Ali'i tower as a real splurge.

They have added a $35/day resort fee for a bunch of unnecessary stuff like a PS3 in each room which is already outdated. Internet is the only true benefit in the resort fee amenities. Unfortunately, parking isn't included in the resort fee. That has stayed at the $33/day for valet as it was before. I thought Vegas hotels were the only ones that charge the dreaded resort fee. I get it in Vegas because you can stay at a true five star hotel like the Trump or the Aria in a large suite for like $85/day on weekdays if you book through Hotwire. When the rooms are so cheap, you gotta make the money somewhere. What's the deal here though, especially when the average rating by reviewers is barely 4 stars? The nighty rate for an ocean front Ali'i tower room after taxes and resort fees was almost $500/night at the time of our booking on the Hilton website. The HHV has all the attributes of a 5 star resort, but it just comes up short.

Once I was over the initial changes, the stay was relatively average. Nothing to write home about. It was not the special place I had remembered so fondly. The daily complimentary finger foods during happy hour at the pool are now only done on weekends. The Ali'i tower pool was freezing. It's bewildering that they don't have a heated pool considering how small the pool is. It's like an average sized backyard pool not like the other giant mega pools on the resort. They were also working on the lighting in the halls during our entire stay. It was a pain to have to move or wait for the guys working on ladders in the middle of the hallway every time we had to use the elevators.

There is one thing that is exactly the same in this resort from over a decade ago. That would be the locker room in the Mandara Spa. It was underwhelming then, and it is exactly the same now but over a decade older. Honestly, it is like the locker room at your local YMCA except their three hot tubs are the above ground "backyard" ones. With all the constant updating and renovations at this mega resort, it is amazing that the locker rooms in the spa have been so neglected.

This being said, I hope that the Hilton pulls it's act together. I'm not sure if they can or will, but I do hope. It was so nice before. A day before we left, I spoke with one of the managers, Jacque Lakatani. I told her how I was disappointed, and she did make an effort. She assured me that next time it would be much better, and that I should contact her directly regarding any stay in the future with them. It's not like they are a local resort in my area that I can just give another chance to on a whim, though. Maybe we will give it one last chance for our second anniversary. We will see. If we do, I will write another review after November.

On a side note, there are a few restaurants that serve amazing cheap eats in the area. Cheap good food is nice when expensive food is an understood fact in Hawaii because of logistics. One is the Wailana Coffee House across the street from the hotel. The decor and waitstaff will take you back to the 70's. Amazing all you can eat pancake special for like $6. The coconut pancake syrup is the bomb. Second, walk to Marukame Udon for their fresh handmade udon. I don't even like udon that much, but we would go there almost everyday. Udon is like $7 and incredible. Don't be turned off by the really long line, it moves pretty quick. Third, there is a gas station near the intersection of Ala Moana and Kalakaua. There is a car rental counter and a broasted fried chicken joint inside. I've never had broasted chicken, and I've never bought chicken from a gas station before. It was one of the best decisions I made on this trip. When it's fresh, it's so damn good.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the Ali'i tower. The cost is still worth it compared to dealing with the her...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EP348
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Found it rude they wanted to know my income before offering me information about attractions and events at the service desk.. Would look for a newer hotel next visit as rooms are dated. Or ask for a newer room if they have them?

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yiorgos P
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I booked this Hotel for all it's accommodations. The hotel is in a prime location to downtown Waikiki and close to so much. Parking however was difficult. The hotel garage is opposite side of the hotel. You will need to walk a ways from the concierge area. However in between is a adorable wedding chapel with Koi fish pond and exotic birds on perches. Lots of shops, little Tiki style bars with torches lit and a gorgeous view of the Marina which by the way is the same marina the SS MINNOW sailed out of from Gilligan's Island when the show was taped. The private hotel lagoon offered stand up paddle boarding for kids. The facility was large and very beautiful. The room was comfortable and quiet. We stayed 3 nights only. Remember if this is your first time to Hawaii have lots of money to spend. Paradise doesn't come cheap. I say it is touristy due to the hotels location. If you are looking for a quiet beach and more seclusion with privacy choose a rental elsewhere on the island. Besides it's paradise.Take in the views and shop at home.

Room Tip: Choose a room Beach or Marina side upper floors if you plan on being on the beach A LOT!! And for th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Donovan D
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is one of the best experiences, I have ever had. The staff was great, the room was beautiful, the service was great. This hotel get an A rating from me and my family. They had everything that you needed at the hotel. The Star Light Lau was wonderful. The pool was nice. The beach was great. There were plenty of places to shop and eat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations

2 Thank yolandau49
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Loved our ocean view room, however there is a lot going on at this resort. It's almost like a mini city on an island. Great vacation for families/couples/singles. We had a much needed spa day and it was awesome.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gennie N
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here our first 3 nights in Hawaii and feel it was the right place to get our vacation started. Waikiki has so much energy that it matched our excitement of being there. We choose the Rainbow tower ocean view room facing the harbor because we wanted sunset views. The room was nice and we thought our refrigerator was not cold enough so they brought us another refrigerator. We were happy to have two refrigerators in our room and the room was big enough for both. They handed us 6 towel cards on check in when there was only 3 of us so we thought that was nice. We were a little disappointed to see that there were no lifeguards or life vests at the pools. We went to the pool with the slide first and it was a little to deep for my 4 year old who is not a very strong swimmer. The best pool for the kids would be the Tapa pool as it has a shallow area with water spouts bursting out. We loved walking along the Waikiki beach and the ocean was calm enough to swim in. Our rate included the breakfast buffet which was pretty good with a omelet stattion and huge selection. We were there on Mother's day and that morning had the best spread. It was nice to have so many shops so close to walk to especially when we needed to stock up on snacks & drinks when we first arrived.

Room Tip: The Rainbow tower seems to have the best views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family