“Busy resort hotel right in Waikiki Beach”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Having just read fowler23's review I totally understand what he means... The resort is amazing and there is so much to do but it is very busy and full of families, which is fab if you are a family but as we were on the last leg of our honeymoon we did feel it was a little hectic for just a couple. Having said that we really enjoyed our stay at The Hilton as it is a great place for exploring Waikiki and Oahu. The staff are friendly and helpful and there is an endless choice of shops and restaurants. The best thing about our stay had to be the view from our room - we were lucky enough to stay in The Rainbow Tower and the check-in lady was so nice that when she found out we were honeymooning she tried to shuffle us along to give us the best view possible. She didn't let us down as we had fabulous ocean and beach views. After some detective work we found out that the Kalia Tower has the quietest pool and so that was where we based ourselves when we weren't out sightseeing. It is a perfect pool for couples who want to escape the buzz and it's right next to The Spa - perfect! Tina (I hope I've remembered it!) gave me a Shellac manicure (which is still going strong 2 weeks later) and Classic Pedicure and she was lovely. We ate in The Italian restaurant upstairs twice and would definitely recommend for service and value for money.

Room Tip: Rainbow Tower - Ocean View
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sophie24

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We got there after 24 hours to be told they had overbooked and that we were being upgraded ( joke) not happy as all the extras we were soposed to get you didn't get them in the so called upgrade !!!
We were allowed to go over to the Alil tower and use the pool which meant we had to keep walking our stuff back and forwards , I'm disgusted at our treatment cos they just treated us terrible don't let them do it to you !!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays
1  Thank Kimberley S
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Aloha Kimberly S,

We are very sorry to learn about your experience at our property. The front office staff assigns rooms based on the category that was booked; however, in very rare circumstances a room may become unavailable due to unexpected situations. We extend our sincere apologies that we fell short in any way of meeting your expectations. We would appreciate it if you could contact the hotel manager directly at your convenience to further discuss the concerns of your stay. Your feedback is extremely important to us as we continue to make improvements at our property. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back for a more pleasant stay. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Mahalo,
Hilton Hawaiian Village Guest Services Team

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is ENORMOUS! And it's jam packed full of families so there are more children than adults. Swimming pools are all over run with kids so take some music to drown out the screaming. Good location for beach which is lovely. Great excursions and concierge. If you're into buffet style restaurants there are loads but not many quiet sit down places unless you venture into Waikiki. Rooms are excellent and spacious to a very high standard. Towels are provided for the pool each day which is great. You will get stung with a $30 a day tax at the end of the holiday. Tonnes of shops on sight for souvenirs etc and for food and drink too of you want to eat in your rooms. Animals are on site (turtles and parrots) and they really add to the experience of the place. Live music everywhere is pretty good too. Food at the luau was awesome! Overall a great place to go!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katherine E
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a conference. I want to say that I got more done during the week, than a month in my office that is how relaxing the location was for us. I don't think I ever made it too the beach (too hot). But the grounds are lush and lovely and there are lots of fish and birds on site.

We paid only for a resort view room but were put in the Tapa Tower on a high floor with a view of the harbor. The room was large and comfortable and had a balcony that allowed me to watch the luau presentation across the way. Also, unlike the Westin where I stayed a few years ago, I'm not a "frequent" user but still, Hilton awarded full points for our stay even though we received a conference rate and gave us the current promotional bonus. That alone made the stay worthwhile. I worked late each morning and sometimes into the afternoon to finish deadlines and the maids were very patient and tidied when I was through. I never felt rushed.

Yes - it's a luxury resort so everything is expensive from the food to the high end stores. But is optional. We didn't rent a lanai ($75 per half day) but I sat in the lobby in full view of the ocean while working on projects. Ironically we paid the resort fee to get internet in our room (also included towels, free DVD rentals, etc) but internet in the lobby was free. One note - you'll be hit with a lot of "time share" requests if you try to take advantage of the free promotions. Be warned. And also, some of the stores have aggressive sales people littered about the site inviting you to buy overpriced products. If tempted on the latter - just say no over and over again until they drop the price. One cosmetics company tried to get me to buy the $3,000 year's supply of gold facial masks. Then the price dropped to $500 and then $300 with $1,000 worth of other products thrown in. I still said no and question why the Hilton would allow that type of business on the site. I mean - honestly? I'm on vacation and the resort stay shouldn't be one endless pitch.

BIG TIP - go for breakfast at CJ's New York Style Deli for a fabulous, affordable meal. I posted a picture of their triple play breakfast (three smaller portions of their specialties when you can't decide what to order). It was inexpensive and exquisite and more food than I expected. The manager said no one ever finds them until the last day of their stay. I wish I'd known about them from the beginning. The "deli" in the name threw me off - it has a full menu for the day including crab cakes Benedict. But yes - it's hidden so to find it - go to the lobby, look across the street to the ice cream store, then wind around that store to the right and you'll see several restaurants (including italian) in a little cul-de-sac of lower priced but delicious venues. I think they're placed their so they don't compete with the bigger hotel restaurants. But don't be fooled - CJ's food is presented and tastes gourmet. There is also an ABC on site that has great snacks, fresh sushi rolls, and ready to eat salads and sandwiches for considerably less than the restaurants. There is a mini-fridge in the rooms but no microwave though.

Warning - in August the hotel was full, there were lines, and the pools (all of them) were filled with kids. Lots and Lots of kids. I'm a parent but shook my head over the crowds of kids (mostly teens) that were running up and down the hallways at 2 in the morning. Hilton could do a better job of policing those who don't respect quiet hours for other residents. A better "more adult" option is the Moana Surfrider where I stayed six years ago.

Lastly - the wedding chapel is gorgeous. Be sure to go to the back door and ask to walk around.

Would I stay here again - sure. It was fun, I felt relaxed and productive and the location is close to everything including the conference center and the mall.

Room Tip: Make a point to find CJ's New York Style Deli. For casual dining the food was amazing and probab...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KCkidwriter
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Myself and my wife stayed her in July on our honeymoon, we only have a 3 night stay, we wanted to see Oahu and Waikiki beach etc., we had already spent 7 nights on Maui seeing the 'real' Hawaii. Anyway when they call this a 'village' they really mean it.. Its Vegas size, bigger maybe.. its got many many, MANY... shops and restaurants.. high street shops, independent shops, well known restaurants and bakeries, ice cream places.. its never ending! Now I am stuck between calling this an amazing place (village) and saying its all just too much. I had come from paradise on Maui, relaxation, amazing scenery! And that just isn't really what you get here, what you get is a huge resort with many many people. The village is nice, clean, lots and lots of staff everywhere.. its just if you want this or not.. Its HUGE and its BUSY.. its in a great location next to the beach and lagoon, walking distance into town to the main shops, malls and restaurants..
but for me it was too hectic and busy.. that's what I want in a huge hotel in vegas but a hotel in Hawaii I want chilled, relaxing.. this place is great for families.. there are lots of pools and slides but maybe not for couples.. Saying that we stayed in the Ali' tower which by all accounts is the more VIP style tower. It has its own private check in, which was bliss after seeing the lines in the main reception. You have access to a separate pool and gym and bar for only ALI tower guests. This really made out stay being in this tower. It helped seclude us from the crowds around the village/resort an other pools etc. There are free nibbles at the private pool 1 or 2 nights a week. We attended on the Friday to watch fireworks, have nibbles and a cocktail.. little do they warn you that this means getting in a big line and waiting half an hour to get some food! that was abit frustrating.. as I wasn't expecting to get in line for 30 minutes! In conclusion, this place is huge, has so many shops, eateries, etc.. we had a fun time here, but after maui its just not what I call Hawaii.. if I were to do it all again I wouldn't go to Oahu at all id pick another Hawaiian island.. if I were to go to Hawaii again id pick another top hotel/resort.. but just something less intense than the HWV.. We did have a good stay though, the ALI tower was lovely and a real gem for us.. the pools and cafes and shops were great when we wanted them.. staff were good... im sure lots and lots of people will love it here.. but for me it was abit to hectic, big and intense.. and not Hawaii as I imagines.. especially after Maui!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank fowler23
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This property is fabulous and we would highly recommend it to anyone! We were there to celebrate our anniversary and our stay was wonderful start to finish. We were upgraded to an ocean view room that had a spectacular view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. The grounds are so beautiful and the pool area so peaceful, that you forget that you are in the middle of a metropolitan city. We were there during the threat of hurricane Iselle and the staff and management did an excellent job of making sure that everyone's stay was interrupted as little as possible.
The beach area in front if the hotel is one of the nicest on Waikiki and having all of the restaurants and shops in the Rainbow Bazaar make it so that you never have to leave the property. If you do decide to go elsewhere to eat, this location is within walking distance of a lot of great restaurants or at least within a short cab ride.
We can't say enough great things about this property. It is well managed and well kept.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AZGirl98
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Diamond and Gold HHonors member Alert: I am Diamond, they don't offer free breakfast, but instead offer a $10/day off your bill at end of stay which they claim is better because you can use it for food anywhere anytime on property, but breakfast is $27 for the buffet, not $10. It's a rip off. I called the Diamond HHonors line and they gave me a credit at the hotel to cover the rest of the breakfast cost. The Hotel wouldn't budge on this and refused to honor HHonors benefits with arrogance I might add even there is no exemption listed on the HHonors website.
The room I first got was on a low floor facing the city, not a Diamond upgrade, but I did call front desk and finally got a room with an ocean view.

This place is not like most Hilton Resorts, it is like a packed cruise ship on land. I had to stand in line 30 minutes to check in. The resort has 4 towers with enough resources for 1 tower. The main pool, of which they have 3 or 4 pools, but the others are small pools, has enough chairs for 1 tower not 4 so don't expect to sit poolside very much even though it is very pretty. They have the beach, but you have to pay to get a chair for the beach. Service is slow, but expensive. Expect to wait in crowds at the elevators in the towers. The rooms were nice, but most don't have a good view. There is obvious cost cutting in the room, such as motel 8 style coffee amenities (sugar and powdered cream wrapped in cellophane) not typical Hilton real cream and nice coffee stand.

Don't Vallet park your car, you'll wait forever for them to bring it to you, self park if you have a car.

The hotel used to have fireworks twice a week, but now only does it once, COST CUTTING!

This place is built to squeeze every penny out of it's customers while not providing an experience anywhere close to other Hilton resorts.

I wouldn't stay here again, there are better choices in Waikiki on the beach that have better access to local restaurants, beaches and shopping.

Room Tip: Get the Rainbow tower ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple