“ok for travelling with a not-so-ok surprise” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Airport Honolulu Hotel

Airport Honolulu Hotel
Ranked #58 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver, Canada
“ok for travelling with a not-so-ok surprise”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Like many on here, we booked this hotel to facilitate catching a flight after our Oahu vacation. In our case, we were catching a flight at 11:55 pm, but as we were traveling with a toddler, we thought it was worth the $100 (discount site) to get in a nap/shower/meal before heading to the airport. I even dropped off the car early to the rental place and walked back (approx.1-1.5 km away) since there would be a shuttle bus to the airport - this all went very promptly and smoothly and the driver was helpful with our luggage, etc. There is a good sushi place that I found in a strip mall on my walk back from returning the car, along with a Starbucks and a few other restaurants open around 7pm on a Sunday.

The room was decent, BUT - as soon as we dimmed the lights so our daughter could sleep, out came the roaches. I realize it's the tropics, but we were pretty disturbed to see them. I would say I saw about a dozen crawling near the microwave/coffee pot and the bedside table. Some were tiny, and some were about 1.5 cm. I don't want to come off as overly alarmist or critical, but I do want to report what I observed in case this helps anyone. I don't think the family would have been comfortable spending the night, though for the 8 hours we were ok.

Room Tip: our room was 204
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank East V
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Aloha East V,

On behalf of the staff and management of the Airport Honolulu Hotel, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while here.

After reading your review, we will look into this situation and will have our Housekeeping Department take corrective action. It is surprising you mentioned this since we do treat our rooms on a regular basis and we also check our rooms daily.

If you have the opportunity to discuss this, please contact me at (808) 837-5931 so we can discuss in detail your concerns.

Thank you for staying with us and we truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Melbourne Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The website images conceal an average property (although they are working on it) - We thought the Outrigger brand would underpin value for money. Restaurant closes 3 or 4 nights and they offer a shuttle to a nearby competitor hotel. Unattractive area to venture out - convenient but!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rena3207
Aloha Rena3207,

Thank you for staying at Airport Honolulu Hotel on your most recent visit to Hawaii.

We apologize our room did not meet your expectations, however as you mentioned we areworking on improving our property. I'm sure while you were here, you saw our maintenance staff working diligently to improve our lobby and hallways. We are also discussing other plans to improve. Outrigger does a great job in ensuring value for our guests and that is why we are doing everything we can to improve our property.

Regarding our restaurant, the Best Western The Plaza Hotel is our sister property not our competitor. So we apologize for the inconvenience regarding this situation. Being in an industrial area, options are limited, but we are always looking to add value for our guests.

Thank you again for your stay and your review. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Assistant General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked this hotel because it was so close to the airport. We tried to take the shuttle bus but ended up waiting forever so we took a cab. The check in was easy. The room had two double beds, the room was small, hotel was quiet, there was air conditioner and we did not have any problems. The room could use updating. It was fine for the 10 or so hours we needed to use it.

Room Tip: We called ahead for a late check in, I don't think there is any "special" room. Pretty...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank irishsiren74
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Aloha irishsiren74,

Thank you for your most recent stay at Airport Honolulu Hotel and for taking the time for writing a review.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize however regarding the delay in our shuttle service. We will investigate to determine what happened.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We needed somewhere to stay to catch an early morning flight the next day. The room itself was fine, not that dated like some of the reviews have said. Whilst it did face onto the freeway I didn't find it as bad as some other airport hotels (and we stayed in three on this trip!).

The main downside was that we had to get a shuttle bus to the sister hotel for dinner, as the restaurant in our hotel was closed. That's not really what you want when you just want to eat and have an early night....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Aloha London_Andy,

Thank you for staying at Airport Honolulu Hotel and for writing a review of your stay.

We are glad we were able to accommodate you while you were here and we were able to exceed your expectations on the condition of our rooms. We do apologize about having to be shuttled to our sister property to eat dinner.

We are hopeful on your next visit, we will be able to welcome you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here numerous times for layovers. Staff friendly, rooms clean, with decent linens & bed. Offers free shuttle to airport. Dining area nice and food is good. Convenient to locals shops, dining & attractions. Good prices on rooms, will defiantly book again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica E
Aloha Jessica E,

On behalf of the staff and management of Airport Honolulu Hotel, we would like to thank you for staying with us and for writing a review.

We are pleased to hear we once again were able to accommodate you and everything met your needs. We hope you will take advantage of our weekly dinner specials we are running to enhance our guests' experience.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Keaau, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel staff wasn't bad. The restaurant for dinner was excellent. An excellent server.
On the first day I am lying down on the floor sleeping with my dog. A maintenance man came to fix the door? Nothing was wrong with the door? The bell hop didn't open the door proper. Push up on the handle to open it, not down. The cleaning opened it right away. The maintenance man came anyways seen me sleeping on the floor with my dog and he calls a medic? What was he doing in my room, in the first place? "NO PRIVACY" I could have been nude? I sleeping he could have walked in and taken money off the dresser???
The next morning at 10:00 AM a maintenance man knocks on my door I was still sleeping? I have a WAKE UP SERVICE for 11:15 AM. He woke me up? Has the door open. My dog runs out the door outside. I can not find her. My dog ran into another hotel the cleaning woman yells is that your dog in here? I go inside the other hotel to see its my dog. I go back to my room an I tell the maintenance man "GET OUT"! He will not listen to me I tell him I am going to call the police. The front desk calls him on the radio to leave. He is still putting a new part into the door. He won't get out! I talk to the manager about this. He asks me are you and your dog safe? I had said YES! I had said I am leaving at noon time why couldn't he wait until I left? I was shaken up that I almost lost me dog in this hotel.
My dog is a Service Dog to protect me having PTSD. I am shaking all over.
You have "NO RIGHTS TO PRIVACY" ! AT THIS HOTEL! If I ever have to go to Honlolulu again be sure that I don't go there ever again.
The maintenance working there to 10:00 PM? The beds were bouncy. I had asked the front desk do you have cameras in the rooms? Who knew that I was sleeping on the floor in my room ? If I never answered it? That means the maintenance opened my door uninvited?

Room Tip: Make sure you tell the front desk, do not have anyone working on my room, while I stay there. I wan...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ThomasABorawski
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Aloha ThomasABorawski,

Thank you for your most recent stay at the Airport Honolulu Hotel. After reading your review, we would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced.

I researched these incidents and I apologize if there was misunderstanding regarding the incidents that transpired. Our staff responds to guest requests in a quick and timely manner and thus was responding to your request about having trouble with the door. We do not have cameras in the room, however our policy is to knock before entering the room. If there is no answer, our staff enters and thus discovered you on the floor. For precautionary measures, Security was contacted to assist.

We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding from the hotel's side and that we were not able to meet your expectations during your visit.

Thank you again and wish you well on future visits to Oahu.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

This Hotel was dreadful.
We choose it because it was. CLose to airport and ran a free shuttle back and forth
That was the positives. Hotel very dated and run down. Reception staff offhand and disinterested no restaurant except breakfast. Worst feature is hotel is located right next to flyover of freeway. I was worried about the planes flying over but they were drowned out by the constant drone of traffic. Felt as though I was staying in a third world country

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank vinkac
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Aloha vinkac,

Thank you for your most recent stay and review of Airport Honolulu Hotel.

We would like to sincerely apologize for the noise and service inconveniences you experienced while here. This is not our standard of service and so I will personally investigate these concerns. We are continously working to improve the Airport Honolulu Hotel and once we are do, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you again!