“Good location but unexpected charges came up at check-in”

Ramada Plaza Waikiki
Ranked #46 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Good location but unexpected charges came up at check-in
Our daily charged jumped up over $20 dollars per day. The room included breakfast for one person even when paying double. I don't like surprises at check-in. I don't mind paying more if I know it when making the reservation. With the hgher rate there are better properties to consider.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank MystS
Rickiki, Manager at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

Aloha and thank your for your review. We appreciate your valuable comments and consistently strive to improve our service. I am sorry that your were surprised at check-in with some unexpected charges. We are usually very efficient at explaining all the charges when making a reservation to avoid this type of situation, but these days with all the different methods of making reservations (direct to hotel, ramada.com, our website, expedia, orbitz, hotels.com, etc.), sometimes a bit of information gets missed. I sincerely apologize for any confusion and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Again, thank you very much for your helpful comments. Mahalo!

There are newer reviews for Ramada Plaza Waikiki

Reviewed 1 June 2011

We appreciated the friendly, helpful attitude of the staff.
Our room had the most comfortable king size bed i have slept on in the world.
Located beside the Hilton meant we were close to all the best beaches and activities while still being very quiet.
Nice little gym... Never crowded.
Good value for money ...Included internet

Room Tip: Ask for west facing to get the quiet location
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Rickiki, Manager at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Aloha and thank you for your review. We appreciate you telling others about your stay as it helps them make informed decisions about their stay. And offering advice on what to see, do or request is very helpful and appreciated. I am glad you had a wonderful sleep on our beds. We bought these recently and have had many great comments about them. They really are very comfortable.

Again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will return one day soon! Mahalo!

Reviewed 15 May 2011

This hotel is in a perfect location. It is right across the street from the Hilton and within walking distance to Waikiki beach. We also walked to shopping centers and restraurants easily. The bus stops right in front of the hotel and at the Mauna Loa shopping center. We reserved this hotel on Hotwire for less than $100 a night. We were very pleased with our stay. Free computers were available in the lobby and the staff was very helpful with places to eat and transportation arrangements.

Room Tip: Book on Hotwire
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Rickiki, Manager at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Mahalo, thank you, for your wonderful comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location perfect for your needs. All feedback is welcome and we love to hear what are guests are saying. Thank you for staying with us and we certainly hope we will see you again in the near future. Aloha!

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Throughly enjoyed my stay here at this hotel! It was conveniently located right outside of town which made it great to either go to the mall or into town! Friendly staff was great! Rooms were very clean and beds were great!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Rickiki, Manager at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

Aloha! Thank you so much for your nice review. I am very happy that you enjoyed our hotel and hope to welcome you back again in the near future. We pride ourselves on our friendly, efficient staff and strive to constantly improve. Mahalo for staying with us...come back soon!

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We were travelling from Vancouver B.C. and arrived late at the Ramada Inn but the staff was friendly and efficient. Our rooms were nice, neat , clean, and well appointed. Everything in Waikiki Beach is within easy walking distance. We had a great time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Rickiki, Manager at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

I am very happy that you had a great time and want to thank you for your nice review. It is always a pleasure serving our guests and very satisfying to see that everyone enjoys their time with us. Mahalo for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future. Aloha!

Reviewed 7 April 2011

It was a good, reasonably priced hotel. The room was quiet and clean and I enjoyed the view from the balcony. All the hotel staff were very friendly and efficient. The Ethernet cable in the room ensured a fast and secure connection to the Internet.

True, the Chinese restaurant downstairs is an abomination, but there is free coffee in rooms as well as in the lobby. If I wanted a real breakfast, there were about a million options to choose from within one block.

The beach is next door -- just cross Ala Moana blvd. and go through the Hilton hotel and you are there in five minutes. I had a nice dip every morning before breakfast.

All in all, it was a very agreeable place and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Rickiki, Manager at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2011

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We really appreciate what you have to say and by listening carefully, we can improve our property and our service with the help of your comments. Mahalo!

Reviewed 3 April 2011

I must have been missing something when I stayed here. After reading the reviews (quite a few written by people in Honolulu/Waikiki which should have rung a bell) I expected a hotel that was above the standard expected of a Ramada Plaza/Holiday Inn Express/Marriott Courtyard.

Instead I got my least enjoyable stay for a long time.

Climbing out of a taxi at the end of a 20+hr journey, the last thing you need is inefficient front desk staff. That is what we got. The issue was simply a Visa card that the night desk staff didn't recognise, and instead of running the card to get pre-authorisation, they simply dug their heals in and said they didn't recognise the card. To resolve the situation I had to resort to saying that I would simply go and book in to the Hilton across the road and take the issue up with the manager the next morning. Hey presto! They ran the card and it worked. Grrrrrrr.

The "restaurant" for the hotel is a chinese buffet which is at the front of the property. Our rate included breakfast. This was a chinese style buffet breakfast, which seemed to cater for coach groups of Chinese and Korean tourists. Coffee and tea was not included! If you wanted coffee without paying, you had to walk back outside and into the lobby of the hotel and get coffee from the coffee pots there! For most people Breakfast is Coffee - I certainly will forgive a lot if my first cup of coffee is a good cup.

The rooms were nothing special, normal size and as clean as you would expect for this level of brand. My room didn't appear to have been upgraded recently. It was a high floor but all I got for that was a view of the high floors of the surrounding tower blocks, and a slight separation from the main road (6 lanes) which goes straight past the front of the hotel. In addition my room was next to the lift, which annoyingly makes an alarm at every floor as it moves up and down the lift shaft.

The hotel asked for my positive Trip Advisor Report - so here it is and I have been generous, as the hotel was by far the worst element of a 36hr stopover in Hawaii. I doubt I will use Ramada Plaza as a brand again - I certainly will not stay at this hotel again and having looked at some other hotels as I walked around Waikiki, I would book the Holiday Inn Express Waikiki (genuinely renovated), the Best Western Waikiki or one of the Hiltons, all in roughly the same price bracket.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank pzfus
Rickiki, Manager at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2011

Aloha!
Firstly, I would like to thank the gentleman from Fredericton, Canada for taking the time to write a review. All comments are welcome and are gladly accepted as gifts. All comments are reviewed and shared with the staff and it really helps to guide us and help improve our hotel.

Secondly, I just wanted to clear up a couple of issues brought up. The breakfast is a Chinese and Western all-you-can-eat buffet. As with most restaurants in Hawaii, coffee is extra, so this should not have seemed unusual. We also offer free coffee in the room as well as free coffee in the Lobby. And our coffee is premium Kona coffee!

As for the rooms, we just finished complete renovations in December 2009. We put in all new carpet, wallpaper, artwork, appliances and furniture. We did the hallways as well, with new carpet and wallpaper. The hotel now has a fresh, new look and we have had many compliments.

I am not sure why it was mentioned that local people from Honolulu/Waikiki have been leaving reviews here, I could not find any. And even if there were, don't local people that stay here have the right to leave reviews like anyone else?

I am truly sorry that this person wasn't thrilled with us. We honestly do our best every day to make everyone coming through our doors have a special experience.