“Pleasant place to stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Perth, Australia
“Pleasant place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Our recent stay here was as a 4 day stop over between Australia and the US mainland. We were looking to stay somewhere reasonably priced yet close to transport, facilities and Waikiki beach. The Ramada offers all of this.
The hotel is situated a short walk from the amazing Ala Moana shopping centre. For $2 the trolley can bring you back if you're ladened down with shopping bags! Although we didn't use it, the bus stop is right outside the door. An ABC store is located 2 blocks down and stocks nearly everything you could need.
Our double room included tea, coffee maker, fridge and flat screen tv. The beds were comfortable. The room staff were very friendly and did a great job. After our first night we upgraded to a balcony room which the front desk were able to facilitate easily for a small charge.
Unfortunately, the noise from the air conditioning was as bad as that from traffic. If you decide to book or upgrade to a balcony, DONT get one facing the Boulevard. Turn the aircon off and open the door for the breeze. You may have a better nights sleep!
Lastly, the internet. My understanding was that free fast speed wifi would be available in all rooms. Not so! It is only available in the lobby and you can go wireless or use one of the hotels PCs. It is definitely not high speed though.
Overall, Ramada Plaza was pleasant and value for money. With so many places to stay in Waikiki, this would be a good choice for a short stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing the boulevard and choose a balcony where possible
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Missmac711
Pattie F, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Miss Mac:

Aloha and thanks for coming to stay with us! Your review is appreicated!

I am so sorry the noise disrupted your stay! The high speed internet is in the rooms but it is hard wired. We've had military customers who must have hardwired for their laptops.

WIFI is available as you said In the lobby area and on the pool deck. With all the IPads and wireless tablets you are correct - we have not succeeded in that respect. We are looking closer at it. We should have pointed out the hardwired access when you came in.

I know you had a long trip and sleep must have been cruicial to making your stay a more pleasant one. I sincerely apologize the air conditioner was loud - it has been repaired by maintenance. We hope you will consider staying with us on your next visit to Hawaii.

Pattie Furtado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

I have recently stayed at this hotel about 4 weeks on a business trip to Honolulu. I cannot say enought about this hotel. It is fantastic! Large spacious rooms, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, flat screen TVs, comfortable beds, and clean! The location is perfect. Restaurants are close by in walking distance and so is the beach. When I come to Honolulu, I always want to stay at this hotel. It's like my "home" away from home. If you don't have car, this hotel is right on the bus line as well. It's quiet which is also important to me as I am working vs. the vacation crowd. I hightly recommend this hotel to all. The price paid is very reasonable in comparison to surrounding hotels. The staff is very pleasant and efficient as well - same with the reservations department. The elevators are fast.....also important to me as I am always on the go. Donna

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Donna Shaffer50 from honolulu~
Aloha and you are so fabulous for sharing our successes on your stay!

I'm so glad we are your favorite!

Please E Komo Mai (Wecome)- Come back anytme)

Please let us know so we can welcome you properly!!

Thanks for your recommendation and you need to enjoy life - don't go go go too fast!!

OHIO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here 8/9 to 8/17 because of all the freebies that were listed on Priceline's site. We found out when we got there, the parking was not free, but Priceline picked up that tab. This was our 3rd stay in Honolulu and the first at Ramada. We liked the location because it is less than a mile to most of Waikiki and Ala Moana Mall in the other direction. The staff was friendly and helpful. Bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was average but we ate there 7 out of the 8 mornings we were there. It gave us an opportunity to sample foods we had never tried. You always had the standard American food to eat. There are many restaurants that offer breakfast specials, like Snappers just around the corner and Seaside if you like to walk.

If you like saving money on your meals, buy an Entertainment Book for Hawaii before you go. It is good for all the islands. You can also save on attractions and adventures. We were able to print their on-line coupons in the hotel lobby. We just leave the book in our room when we go back home. I'm sure the staff can use it.

The only complaint which 99.9% of guest would not agree with, was the elevator. My wife and I like the stairs for the exercise even tho we were on the 12th floor. The only way to get to the 2nd floor was the elevator. All first floor doors have alarms except the lobby. We took the elevator to the 2nd floor and walked the rest of the way. A minor inconvenience unless you are afraid of elevators. A maintenance man told me it was to cut down on thefts.

2 Thank grissom77
Aloha Grissom 77:

Thank you for staying with us and letting us know about that parking issue. Acutally Wyndham is paying for all the "free" parking that Pricleine is giving away on their website. I'm so glad it was waived - it would not be a great way to start your vacation. We price ourselves on off Beach prices and we succeded in meeting your perception. I am sorry about the elevator being locked on the first floor. It's a security issue. We have not had any thefts and pride ourselves on our safety record. It would be like leaving your back door at home wide open when you are not there.

Come back and visit sometime!!

Snohomish, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I finally found a reasonable hotel in waikiki! They had parking, breakfast, and the coziest beds i have ever slept in! The staff was so kind professional and helpful! I so enjoyed and trusted my maid, wish i could put her in my pocket!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Aloha Snohomish, Washington,

Mahalo for taking the time to send along those awesome comments and thanks for letting us keep our maid, she is vital to our operation!

Come stay with us again!

Crowley, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

This was my husand, Martin and I first trip to Hawaii and our stay at the Ramada Plaza Waikki was a great one. The staff was helpful and courteous. The very first day the concierge, Pamela, gave us some awesome suggestions on how to get around the island and the best sights to see. She found us an awesome luau for the second night there, then she found us a trip to the Big Island, where we toured Hilo. The room was clean and quiet. The location was close to the Pink Line, so we travel around the island with no problems. I would return to this hotel if I took another trip to Oahu and would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 1114 is quiet and away from the elevators.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pattie F, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Aloha Margaret Barbara Morgan from Crowley Louisiana:

Thanks for recommending us and Pam at the concierge is awesome! I'm glad you stayed with us on your first trip to Hawaii. And that your stay was a GREAT ONE!

We really appreciate your recommendation and will pass along your excellent comments to Pam and the rest of our staff!

Mahalo and Ya'll come back!!
Pinner
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

After reading some of the 2- and 3-blob reviews we were a little dubious about staying here. (I always read the bad reviews first!)

However, it's clean, the staff are friendly and everything worked as it should. It's very close to the GOOD end of Waikiki beach. It does appear to be one of the oldest in the area however, and the 'complete renovation in 2009' did not include new windows. We were at the back of the hotel so it wasn't a problem - and I'm a light sleeper.

I fail to see how anyone can say it's 'difficult to find' - it's right on Ala Moana Boulevard and even has a sign that's visible from the street!

The Chinese/American buffet breakfast was good, but got boring after 3 days - I hope that the hotel manage to persuade them to vary the selection. (I read Pattie Furtado's comment). Don't lose the scrambled eggs though; when fresh from the kitchen they were the best ever!

Bottom line: I would stay here again. If you want a clean room, comfortable bed and a hot shower for a good price, this is the place. It's a 10 minute walk to the shore, so don't stay here if you want to be in a giant anonymous resort right on the beach or if you MUST have an ocean view!

Aloha Roy H Piner
I'm happy you read through the reviews. Yes we are located at the Good End of Waikiki near Ala Moana Center and restaurants and shopping! I'm glad you like the eggs in the restaurant. The restaurant is right now in the middle of renovations so we are going to let the breakfast go for a while - just too many negative comments,.

Thanks for staying with us and I hope you come back the future!

Mahalo,
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

While visiting Waikiki, Hawaii in August 0f 2012 my wife and I stayed at the Ramada Plaza Waikiki. I found the hotel to be of excellent quality. The facilities were great and the staff were very professional, courteous and helpful. I would recommend Ramada Plaza Waikiki to all my family and friends who were going to visit Waikiki, Hawaii.

Aloha Robert H from Vancouver:
I'm sure glad you stayed with us and we are so pleased you were happy with our hotel.
We appreciate your comments about both the facilities and our staff!

We won Best of Ramada in 2012 out of the top 3% of Ramada's in America and appreicate our certificate of excellence from Trip Advisor.

Come back anytimg we'd love to have you as a frequent guest!