“Third time at the Ilima, can't wait for a fourth visit!”
Review of Ilima Hotel

Ilima Hotel
Ranked #32 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Third time at the Ilima, can't wait for a fourth visit!”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We made our third visit to the Ilima in June 2012 for the Pan Pacific Festival and can't wait to get back to Hawaii. The reception staff really made us feel welcome and remembered us as though we had only been there a few weeks before. (Our last visit was September 2011 for Aloha Festivals). They upgraded our room to a deluxe room (king size bed) with the mauka view we had requested. (The best view from your lanai in the morning or evenings). We were very happy with our accommodations which allowed us the option to have breakfast and dinners in.
This hotel is very well located in Waikiki with the supermarket (Food Pantry) just two blocks away and easy access to The Bus and trolley stops. A short walk to the beach and Kalakaua Avenue; around the corner from Seaside Avenue too where many tours pickup and drop you off; so really convenient. Cross the street and you are in Duke's Lane or International marketplace for souvenir shopping if you are ready to do a little bargaining.
Appreciated the updating that they have been doing since our last visit, and hope that they will continue, as some of the rooms would benefit from updating.

2 Thank trinitravellers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
SCHAUMBURG, IL
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I'm looking forward to my second stay at the Ilima in February 2013, after having spent 9 days there last February. I have been to Waikiki many times, and I usually stay at hotels on Kuhio. Being on a side street (Nohonani) was much quieter. There is an Enterprise Rent A Car right across the street which is a plus too. The fully equipped kitchen helped us to save money by eating breakfast and several dinners in. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the hotel has a Hawaiian sing-along and necklace making to give you a little taste of Hawaiian culture. Free on site parking saves a lot of money, although the parking spots are very small. We asked for a room that faced the Ala Wai Canal and had room 701. If I had to say anything negative, it would be that I don't like the strong smelling, perfume-y spray they spray in the room. Also the pool is pretty small which is typical for Waikiki, unless you're in one of the larger chain hotels. Overall, a great place to stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Arriba627
Beaver Creek, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Nothing fancy - a bit of an aging beauty (if it was ever beautiful), but you're right in the heart of Waikiki with air conditioned rooms and full kitchenettes. Our room on the 6th floor was HUGE. The kitchenette actually included a full stove and oven (not just a hotplate), plus new TV with cable and free hi-speed internet. The beds and bedding are a bit threadbare, and the decor a bit dated, but if you're not spending much time in your room, this is not a big deal. Free parking, too. I really appreciate finding places like this that don't nickle and dime you for parking, internet, TV, etc. The pool and exercise room were kind of a joke though - don't bother.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Walking distance to beach, pool small, no king beds, close to grocery store.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Downhill2
vancouver, BC Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The Ilima hotel was a very inviting place right off the start...we arrived quite late due to our flight time and the nice gentleman (sean?) was very helpful getting us checked in and comfortable. We were placed in a superior studio 7th floor facing toward Kuhio...we were very pleased with this direction as we could sit on our patio and have sun most of the afternoon...I am very lazy on vacation and enjoy sitting on the lanai right outside my room! The kitchen is a very practical style and we did cook some meals to save some money for other events and such. The bathroom is very nice and includes a real bathtub!!! That is a plus for me as again I am very lazy and enjoy relaxing in the tub after a fun filled day in Waikiki...the sundecks on the 10th and PH levels are awesome as well...I especially loved the view way up high...nice loungers and a quick elevator down to the room for a snack or beverage!!! The pool is very cute...small but warm!! So an early morning splash is comfortable....small patio to lounge mid-afternoon and convenient washrooms just inside the building...parking was a nice bonus although we only needed to park a few minutes here and there but it was nice to be able to park on the property for quick up and downs...we will be returning again for 10 days in october and we are very pleased to have discovered this wonderful gem in the middle of busy of Waikiki!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bellonda
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

My first impression of this hotel was not positive!! So it's just as well I stayed more than one night as things improved dramatically after an initial cool 'welcome' to the Ilima.

I'd made the mistake of walking about 30mins to the hotel with a heavy bag in the 2pm sun, and -- although I didn't realise till later -- I was suffering a touch of heat exhaustion and/or dehydration when I arrived. I felt like I might faint and I needed water, which I mentioned to the reception lady when I arrived. But the staff on reception didn't seem to give a toss. I had a guaranteed reservation and there was no rush to check me in, so you'd think people in the hospitality business in a tropical place like Hawaii would have invited a guest who was feeling overwhelmed by the heat to take a seat (there are sofas in the lobby) and drink some water until she felt better. Instead I was hassled to provide my credit card and ID instantly, and when I didn't respond fast enough (because I was searching desperately for my bottle of water, feeling quite flushed and woozy), I was hassled again for my credit card as if there was some desperate urgency -- which there clearly wasn't. Some training in basic humanity would be a good idea for the staff who were on duty that afternoon!!

Fortunately the initial terrible customer service seems to have been an aberration, as all my later dealings with the staff in this hotel were fabulous. All the other staff on reception were overwhelmingly helpful (eg. helping me to log into the free wifi in the lobby; confirming my shuttle transfer to the airport) and one staff member deserves a medal for her assistance that went way beyond the call of duty. When I realised I'd left a bag of shopping at a store, Eme offered to drive me over to collect it in her own time, having just worked a full night shift, and then she dropped me back at the hotel. This sort of caring, personal customer service can't be surpassed, and more than made up for the cold 'welcome' to the hotel a couple of days earlier. The Ilima Hotel should clone Eme!!

The rooms were OK: nothing special, but quite satisfactory. They were 1960s-1970s style "motel" standard with a useful kitchenette, small but pleasant balcony, smallish flat screen TV, good crisp linen on so-so beds, air con, plenty of space. Although tired-looking, everything was nice and clean. I had one of the more expensive rooms on a high level, so the outlook was good though I didn't feel the room was great value for money. There's wired internet but sadly no wifi in the rooms (free wifi is available in the lobby, as is an expensive pay-per-use computer). I was very unimpressed to find a hotel still charging per day to use the in-room safe!! Hotels should be encouraging guests to keep their valuables secure, not gouging them by charging for a basic travel essential like somewhere safe to leave a passport, ipad or camera when going to the beach.

The hotel's location is excellent. It's right by the canal, with a lovely outlook over the golf course and volcano in one direction. Going the other way, it's a block to tacky Kuhio Avenue with its nightclubs and souvenir shops (sadly this meant there was also a bit of a party crowd in the hotel on the long holiday weekend, though staff told me that was unusual). It's two blocks to walk to classy Kalakaua Ave, with its nice shops, arcades, and the beach.

Overall, I was happy with my stay at the Ilima Hotel and I'd stay here again. I wouldn't recommend it to people who are looking for mod cons or style, but for those wanting a good, basic place to stay with cooking facilities, an excellent location, and a family-run feel, it's highly recommended.

Room Tip: For a nice view, ask for a room overlooking the canal. The rooms looking towards the ocean just have...