“Good value”
Review of Ilima Hotel

Ilima Hotel
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Ilima is one of the somewhat dated hotels in Waikiki and is a bit of a walk to the beach but right in the heart of Waikiki. Bathrooms have been renovated and are clean and efficient. Beds are comfortable and has temp controlled Aircon in each room. We stayed in two bedroom apt. At front, which can be a bit close to the noisy late nighters on the weekends. The single rooms are quieter at the back.

Room Tip: The only kids activity that I could see was the heated pool at the back of hotel which the kids love...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lance12399876

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This is a great older hotel with an efficiency kitchen. Well maintained and clean. With included parking the price can't be beat. We had a great stay.
Easy to find. Within walking distance to all of Waikiki beach restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I unfortunately did not book this hotel. It was a package deal with the trip I purchased via a travel agency. I expected more from the various reviews I had seen. However, once in Waikiki I had already paid for the package and simply stayed at the hotel. While the room is spacious, I did not feel comfortable with being in the room at all. The floor was dirty and I found myself wearing socks whenever in the room. I was also glad that I had brought my own pillowcase as the ones that were provided were a bit dingy as well as the sheets. The bed was rock hard and in the morning I found that the kitchen had small ants present. I called the front desk and they said they would take care of the ants while I was out. When I got back I did not see ants but saw them again the very next morning. The location was close to the canal and restaurants however, beware at night as there is a bar down the street where shady people just hang. I did not feel safe coming back to the hotel. I personally would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: try the Hilton Hawaiian village, Sheraton, Wyndham, or Hyatt also in the area. These hotels are stil...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank msmotivated
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Before finally booking the Ilima Hotel, I spent a long time searching for a budget friendly hotel in the Waikiki area. When I stumbled across the Ilima I was extremely grateful and happy to find an inexpensive hotel so close to all the action in Waikiki. The hotel rooms are spacious and truly a home away from home with an en suite kitchenette (dishes, pots, utensils, sink, stove/oven, fridge/freezer, dish soap), coin laundry, and free parking. We rented a car to get around Oahu easily so the free parking for hotel guests was a big selling feature.

The room decor is retro (circa 1980's?), but the rooms are in pretty good shape and overall clean. We had one issue with the cleanliness of the sheets when we first checked in, but upon notifying the front desk there was a staff member within minutes in our room replacing our linens and double checking the room.

I loved how close the hotel was to the beach and some of the more expensive hotels in Waikiki. We were able to enjoy the nightlife and shopping of Waikiki without spending an arm and a leg for one of the beachfront hotels. About 2 blocks from the Ilima is a small grocery store and about a 10 minute drive away is a Safeway grocery store.

Overall I would recommend the Ilima to anyone looking to stay in the Waikiki area for a budget price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gaby R
Reviewed 10 June 2014

A hotel for bargain shoppers booking with price-cutting websites. Its a older hotel but the amenities makes up for it (free parking,wifi and kitchen). Hawaii is expensive, adjust your standards and be a baller on a budget. Located 10 min walk to beach and farmers market.

Room Tip: The view is not why you stay here
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank bescuit22
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Ilima is an old school Waikiki gem. As other reviewers have noted, everything is within walking distance, at a fraction of the cost of the beachside hotels. Our corner room (1207) was quite large and included a kitchenette, as well as a lanai with table and chairs (not to mention a spectacular view of the canal and mountains). We looked forward to unwinding on our lanai at the end of the day, watching the canoes and kayaks glide by. At night, the lights twinkled on the mountains, and in the morning the clouds misted off the mountain tops -- an oasis of peace in bustling Waikiki. If you're fussy about things being updated, this probably isn't the place for you: the carpet could have used a good cleaning, and the furnishings were a bit worn. But the kitchenette and bathroom were immaculate. The staff couldn't have been nicer. Another big plus is the available parking. We loved it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SFOSanFrancisco
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Booked on line no problems, clean but dated, roomy for a family of four with teenagers. Full size kitchen spacious lounge. Mattress were small and uncomfortable but the were in the process of updating up to fourth floor we were on eighth. Perfect location two blocks from beach, shops restaurants. Would stay again perfect if on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family