“Great hotel for families!”
Review of Ilima Hotel

Ilima Hotel
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Francisco
“Great hotel for families!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I spent a week at this hotel with my daughter's basketball team. This is a great small hotel. It's not on the main strip but close enough to walk to everything. This is a perfect place for families. It was clean! They have a small kitchen in every room. It has a microwave, full size frig. small electric, 4 burner stove with an oven, coffee maker (ask for filters), and a small table. We stayed in the deluxe studio and it was very roomy. They also have coin-operated laundry machines. They have 4 washers and dryers! I found it very convenient! There was never a wait for a machine! The pool is small but they do have sun decks on the 10th floor. They people there were so helpful! It was a great experience. I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Frances C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a mid range hotel a couple of large blocks from the beach front main thoroughfare. The staff here were always very pleasant and helpful. The WiFi worked well. The room was clean and tidy with handy kitchen facilities. Balcony was nice, large fridge kept the beer cold. All quite fine.

Only negatives I can think of were:
- the pool and surrounds are very small
- they have a coffee filter machine in the room but do not provide coffee (unless you go and get it from reception which I believe is $1.00)

All in all, if you must stay in Waikiki, this is a decent mid-price option. Having said that, I was often jealous looking from my balcony at the very nice looking large pool facility across the road (at the Aqua Skyline at Island Colony).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StuieG
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a great time at the Ilima Hotel. It is an older style Waikiki hotel, but the rooms are very large and the rates are very reasonable for being in Waikiki, makes it worth the walk to the beach. Wonderful and very helpful staff. Nice clean hotel. Lots of wonderful restaurants with walking distance.
Our only negative is that the windows are the old style shutter glass, not very sound proof. Keep in mind that if you get an ocean facing room, that there is contraction going on nearby at the old "international marketplace" during the weekdays. No problem if you are up early & on the go. Highly recommended.

2 Thank TravellingFamily2941
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Ilima is a basic but clean hotel with nice sized rooms. The bed was very comfortable.

What made my stay in the Ilima was the attitude from the staff, and one staff member in particular with the assistance she provided to my family and I during our stay.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

From the moment we walked in we felt welcome.The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.The hotel is a bit older but the rooms and public areas were spotlessly clean and well maintained.The beds were very comfortable and having a kitchen was an added bonus.The room was huge. We had a view towards Kuhio Ave & the the "former" International Market Place. Hotel was very central with a short stroll to many restaurants & shops. Only two blocks to the beach.The area was nice and quiet at night which made it easy to sleep. Free internet via ethernet cable or wifi provided for each room. We would definitely stay here again If you're looking for value for money, fantastic staff and large clean rooms, it's hard to go past The Ilima Hotel.

Room Tip: Canal / mountain view rooms for best view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Pros: cheaper than many other Waikiki hotels, coin laundry , friendly staff, small kitchen in room with a good sized fridge, lanai on room, small but nice pool, free lei-making class, free parking (park by 7 each night and rent a small car to ensure a space), walking distance from beach/restaurants/grocery store/zoo/aquarium/bus stops/etc... We even walked to diamond head, enterprise car rental across the street, cold A/C and they appeared to be updating several A/C units as well, quiet

Cons: looks old/needs updating, we had one cockroach in our room (only one in the 2 weeks we stayed. Just kept all food in the fridge to be sure we didn't attract any more), had to be careful not to be too late in evenings to get a parking spot in the free garage (Lots of spots in the garage but too many people rudely parked over the line taking two spots instead of being careful to park carefully as to leave space for others.)

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Kdl05a
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We (family of four) recently stayed at Ilima Hotel when we first arrived in Honolulu. We decided to stay here for several reasons: (1) positive reviews, (2) location, and (3) it was one of the few one bedroom hotels listed on the TLA list in our price range. I didn’t know how long we would be in a hotel & wanted a place with a usable kitchen & a separate bedroom for the little ones.

I requested a quiet room when I made my reservation & was given a room on the 14th floor. The room was clean (yes, there were a few strands of someone’s dark hair in the bathroom but in the grand scheme of things not a deal breaker for me), quiet, and worked for the week we stayed there. There was room for the 2 kids to play and we weren’t on top of each other. The king bed in the bedroom was comfortable and the queen sofa sleeper wasn’t horrible. The kitchen had the basics & I was able to cook most of the nights we were there. There is a Food Pantry about 2 blocks down that I could grab things at if needed. My kids loved the heated pool. We really enjoyed the lei making class that was offered on Wednesday morning.

The laundry facilities on site were nice to have and I was able to get change at the front desk. The cost was a bit of a shock for me ($2 for the washer & $2 for the dryer) but at least I could wash the clothes without hanging out at the laundromat. We never had problems with parking availability & we were in and out quite a bit. As far as downtown noise, I didn’t notice it much. A siren or garbage/delivery truck here or there but nothing so bad we couldn’t sleep.

I would definitely stay here again & recommend it to family/friends for when they come out for a visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family