“Good Value and Location”
Review of Ilima Hotel

Ilima Hotel
Ranked #33 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 2 January 2006

Spent 3 nights ($110 per night) at the Ilima in Dec 2005. Very happy with the proximity to Waikiki Beach and the surrounding designer boutiques (Gucci, Chanel, Prada, etc.) and restaurants. This is not a 4 or 5 star establishment, but that is OK, since you are not paying prime $$$. The rooms are outdated, but clean, comfortable, and roomy. We found the staff to be friendly. If you are looking to save money and be within walking distance to all the action on Waikiki, then stay at the Ilima.

8  Thank Sapper123

Reviewed 28 December 2005

Aside from the the rush hour traffic that lasts nearly all day, we found our trip very pleasurable. The hotel, while not a 4 star facility, was clean, the rooms well appointed, and most of all convenient to the Waikiki area.

Our room overlooked the mountains and golf course (see picture) and the view was great. The room (condo type with cooking facilities) was clean, well-stocked with utensils, quiet and the bathroom was clean and linen changes were quite appropriate. The desk staff were courteous and helpful when asked questions. We ate out at nearby restaurants and drove some around the island to try out-of-the-way places.

We found that checking the car rental counters in the airport after we had arrived turned up some "unpublicized" specials. (Isn't capitalism wonderful?) We ended up renting for from Avis for less (for one day) that it would have cost for a shuttle to and from the hotel for one person.

We would definitely would stay at the Ilima again!

9  Thank lachapman
Reviewed 26 December 2005

I can't believe the last review was for virtually the same time my wife and I stayed at the Ilima. We arrived at about 5 p.m. on a Wednesday, surviving the rental car trip from the airport. The rush hour traffic, bumper-to-bumper most of the way, and the Waikiki area streets (apparently random) were the worst part of our stay. The restrooms on the ground floor were unavailable because of renovation work being done, but outside of that there was absolutely no problem.

The ninth floor room overlooked the mountains and golf course and the view was stunning. The room (condo type with cooking facilities) was clean, well-stocked with utensils, quiet and the bathroom was clean and linen changes were quite appropriate. The desk staff were courteous and helpful when asked questions. We ate out at nearby Chinese and Thai restaurants (ok values) and ate in schlepping from the nearby "Food Pantry" (not Walmart prices).

Our experience was quite the opposite of the other recent review; we were quite happy. My biggest regret is that I wasn't aware when renting from Enterprise at the airport that an intown rental was available about 200 feet away. It would have been cheaper to rent for only two days rather than four, using a shuttle to and from the airport.

If we were to return we definitely would stay again!

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled on business
8  Thank piscosour
Reviewed 23 December 2005

We stayed at the Ilima from 12/3-12/8. We were on the 9th floor and had a great view of the canal, park, and mountains.

The rooms are VERY big and include a kitchen area. The rooms are older/dated, but our room and my girlfriend's parents' room were very clean. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. They gave us directions and maps every day. Waikiki Beach is about 3 blocks away. Ask at the front desk for towels and straw mats (no charge) to take to the beach.

I think that we paid $101 for the parents' room on the 5th floor. They had the same view that we did, but a little bit obstructed by the neighboring buildings. Our room was $110/night (prices listed are before taxes). The Ilima has free parking. The other hotels we were considering charged from $15 to $20/day. The buses that take people to the docking area for the dinner cruises has a pick up point at the Trade Center just a block away, very convenient!

If you don't bring your own computer, you will have to use an internet cafe to check your email, etc. There is one around the block next to the Mexican restaurant, La Cucharacha.

The pool is very small, but we had no interest in using a swimming pool, regardless of size.

My biggest complaint was the bathroom light switch. The noisy bathroom fan is connected to the light switch. I hate it when there is not a separate switch for the fan. Also room cooling is from an in the wall a/c unit. The units were brand new, but they are still a little noisy.

If you like Chinese food at a real hole in the wall kind of place, try Fattys around the corner.

Remember the Ilima is NOT the Four Seasons... But if you like good value for money, this place is a deal. I adored the place and when we moved on to Maui, it was a big come down moving into a regular sized hotel room. When we go back to Honolulu we will be staying at the Ilima...

14  Thank repj11
Reviewed 20 December 2005

Stayed in the Ilima to celebrate turning 50 with two of my dearest friends and their siblings. Six in the penthouse suite. We had no problems with room, kitchen, bedding, baths, etc. We would leave a note for staff and it would be there.
Would definitely return because of its closeness to the market, not far from the beach and shopping and the price for the week was great.

• Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank PTomczak
Reviewed 18 December 2005

as with previous reviewer i found the staff rude and unhelpful, no one offering help with luggage and basically staff just ignoring us otherwise the room was ok, i guess luckily we checked in early in the day so we got an ok room. location good but didn't get that welcoming aloha spirit and helpfulness that persuaded us to pick this hotel through the reviews.

13  Thank dial711
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Ill
Reviewed 17 December 2005

I was thoroughly disgusted by the service I recieved at this hotel. I arrived at the hotel around 5pm (yes, 5pm!) and my room was not ready!! Now, I had a long flight and was very tired, but I was still ready to forgive this as I am sure it happens to every hotel. However, instead of a simple apology, the front desk person was VERY rude and said that if I didn't like the 30 minute wait for my room I could cancel my reservation without penalty!! How dare they! Finally, I was able to check into my room thinking the worst of this experience was behind me. How wrong was I? As soon as I entered my room, my jaw dropped! Bed: unmade from last guest. Bathroom: dirtier than a pig sty! Scent of the room you say? An overpowering presence of garbage with a hint of BO! This was the room I had waited for 30 minutes to be cleaned? I promptly returned to the front desk and, politely mind you, asked if that was the correct room as I was sure it was a mistake. Yes was the answer I recieved, again without apology. I was to wait in the lobby another 30 minutes while my room was remade as there were no other rooms to move me to. I wasn't asking for compensation or anything like that. However, not once did anyone, including the manager on duty offer any sort of explanation or apology. How was the rest of my stay? More of the same. Maid service, if even received, was not until around 4pm or sometimes even 5pm. Front desk does not pick up their phone after 8pm. My wake up calls (requested nightly) were never made. However, there are a few pros about this hotel. 1. The location is ok (but EVERY hotel in waikiki is at a good location, so it didn't matter). 2. Check time was very speedy (under 5 minutes). Overall, if the rooms would have been clean I would not have had a problem. The quality was nothing to be desired (rooms looked old and run down), but that did not bother me as long as the rooms were clean (For the price, I didnt expect Sheraton-quality rooms). They were not clean. If this was a clean hotel, maybe my stay would have been more enjoyable. This hotel was a joke. My suggestion? A new staff and a thorough scrubbing.

• Stayed: November 2005