“Another great stay”

The Imperial Hawaii Resort at Waikiki
Ranked #57 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was able to get a KOA suite from an owner friend of mine and it worked well for my dtr and I. It had two beds in the bedroom and 2 bathrooms which was perfect. It was on the 18th floor which is not bad however I would have liked a higher floor and made that known. Unfortunately one did not come up till the end of our stay. This was the 3rd stay for me at the Imperial and I choose it because of the location and proximity to shops and all transportation options for tours etc.

The size of the suite was great and our only issue was the AC. We were saved by having somewhat decent AC in the bedroom so we could sleep and we were given extra fans, but the living room was not working at all which resulted in a warm room with all drapes kept closed. A KOA suite is a corner unit and the natural light is great in that unit. We had a couple overcast days which helped in keeping the unit somewhat bearable if we were there through the day at all. We had relatives staying in the Outrigger across the street so it was a handy place to be for us to get together and on a couple warmer afternoons we hit their place after a few hours on the beach..

This was my Dtr's first stay in Waikiki and she had no complaints. The ABC is a perfect place for great snacks and Starbucks is close by and of course the shops.

The Imperial is showing its age and up for some renovations which include AC so I was happy to hear that. The owner's lounge is awesome and we did spend some time up at the rooftop pool however most of our time was at the beach. We took shuttles to the Outlets and we walked to the mall.

The Manager was apologetic for the ongoing AC issue and even sent up cookies and juice when it was known that there was not much that could be done about this particular unit. Other than that issue the place is great, the staff are great and helpful whenever possible. I know I will be back again to enjoy a great week in Waikiki. Mahalo to the great staff! Miss you all and hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for the best views!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank oree

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My bff and I stayed here for a week. We got the timeshare from someone, so we got "owners privileges". Basically it means the owners lounge with a balcony, hot tubs, you can view the fireworks from the 26th floor (owner's lounge) or the 27th, the pool which is on the roof. The pool is nice. The hot tubs are awesome and they have 2 of them. 1 is indoors and 1 is outdoors but on the same floor. They came in handy since I ended up getting hurt in Hawaii by 3 huge waves with undertow and was hurting.

1st off I loved our stay. This is the exact type of resort I like. So for my gf and I it was perfect. I do not like maid service daily. Housekeeping comes in 2x's a week to do full cleaning and be sure you have nothing on your beds or they will not touch anything. Good to know. On our scheduled day for cleaning it felt nice to walk into a freshly cleaned room but again this isn't anything I need everyday. However, everyday they do come in and empty the garbage whether you put up a privacy card or not in the slot of your room.

The timeshare was for a studio at a decent price. We had no intention of staying in our room except to sleep anyway after all we are in Hawaii on vacation. We were on the 20th floor which was great and made our stay that much better. So we had 1 pull down bed and the sofa bed. Now if you're thinking we weren't comfortable with those options...nope you're wrong. Both beds were comfortable and believe me I would have been miserable if they were not because I have fibromyalgia. I was real happy when I saw we had 4 various pillows to use because I use 3 to cushion myself at home. Turned out that for the 1st time in 3 years I was able to sleep flat and only needed 2 pillows. So that should tell you how comfortable I was and I slept on the sofa bed. I don't know how many of the rooms have a comfortable sofa bed but ours did. We had a kitchen with a convection microwave, toaster and coffee maker. From our room we could look down at the center of the street and see the people walking around and also had 2 areas of the ocean we could see. Loved it.

Michelle and Dave at the front desk were extremely helpful and very caring because I got stung and bit by a fire ant. Michelle gave me the Dr. phone # and they pick you up at the condo and bring you back for free. I was unable to use it because the Drs. office wanted me to go to ER but that is another story. The point is the care I got was incredible. Dave looked at my foot a day or 2 later and said that's a fire ant sting. I said I know and it hurt. LOL Dave also gave us some options of where to go swimming safely and we truly had a good time. I pushed myself knowing we only had a couple days left and when we left I cried like a baby in front of all the valet guys. Oh well really didn't want to leave yet.

Everyone we talked to at the condo was super pleasant. The valet guys are happy and uplifting and Paul went out of his way day 1 to comfort my gf who has anxiety if she doesn't have fast access to her car. They all fully understood and she was relaxed finally about valet parking.

Now about valet parking...if you rent a car there is no way around paying the fee if you want to park at the resort itself. This is an additional fee not included in the room charge. Tipping is something that should be done.

I did hear that you can park a couple blocks away for $15.00 per day and if you have no disability that is an option if you rent a car. We wanted to do our own thing our own way and needed a car. We didn't do any cruises or that this time around. We choose to go on adventures and we sure did. We wanted to really see the Island. Now the other option you have is not to rent a car at all. You will find options at the airport to get you to this resort. Once here you will see buses and trolleys going by every 5 minutes or so. If you are booking tours or boating excursions you can get picked up at the Imperial sometimes for free and other times for a fee. I suggest checking the cost of transport to the resort, to and from the events you book, and weighing the options of walking around and how far you can walk. The beach is closeby.

Everyone is just so pleasant. Enjoyed new friends I met at the smoking area. Food your surrounded with good restaurants. This Denny's is great for breakfast. The ABC store has drinks and this one is one of the best with a full deli with fresh food, high quality at that. Delish. I intend on going back and met a couple I will get a week timeshare from. Can't wait. To all of you at Imperial, Mahalo!!!!! Miss you all. If you like Jewelry see Mae, work a deal. Sweet lady.

For my gf and I it was a 5 star, for the sake of letting you all know it's not the Ritz I gave it a 4. If you need daily maid service etc., I give it a 4 for your benefit. They do have 1 and 2 bedroom suites also. Our studio even had a bathtub/shower. On timeshare WI-FI is free.

LOVED STAYING HERE! ALOHA

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 10th floor if you would like more quiet. Delivery trucks start with deliver...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank myroses2014
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a studio unit on 21st floor, the hotel is very outdated.
Staff were very welcoming, pool is on rooftop but the views are minimal and the area is very run down. Our room was simple our bed came out of the wall, the mirrors on cupboard were held together by tape. This hotel really needs a renovation. The location is perfect for us close to trolley stop, restaurants, shops and the ABC store right underneath had dinner deals in case you want to stay in

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Tracy K
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I come here about every two to three years. I own one unit that allows me to come every year, but I come from the East Coast of the US and that is a very long and expensive flight and a six hour time difference during daylight savings time. So just one week isn't really worth it. So, I take advantage of the Imperial's internal banking program which allows you to bank your week and use it up to 2 years later for a nominal fee of $75, so I can come for two weeks without having to deposit with RCI and spend over $200 and hope to be able to trade back in, or I can deposit 2 weeks and come for three for one airfare. I own several timeshares and this is the most liberal internal banking any of them offer.

I own a studio, which as some reviewers have pointed out doesn't have a full kitchen, and is a bit small, but it is fine. It has a fridge, convection and microwave oven, toaster, blender, dishes, etc so you can make breakfast or other meals in the room. But sometimes I want to really cook, so I just go to the owner's lounge which has a full kitchen and make a meal there. The lounge is beautiful, with several tables, soft furniture, and the best view in Waikiki. No better place to watch the sunset or the fireworks on Friday nights. And it has free computers with internet access, a huge tv and dvd if you want to watch tv or movies, restrooms with showers if you have to check out early and have a late flight (they provide towels for the day and showers before you leave).

One day, I went fishing and caught some Mahi and Opah, and made dinner for myself and several new friends I met in the owner's lounge. It was a highlight of the trip.

I just don't understand some of the less favorable reviews. I own 8 timeshares, some gold crown, and many are fancier. Yes, the Imperial could use refurbishing and they have plans to do that, but I don't really care if they do or not. The rooms are very clean, the staff very friendly, they take out the trash for you most days, and provide maid service with fresh towels and linens every 4 days, or you can exchange them every day if you like at housekeeping. Best owner's lounge in the business. There is an excellent concierge service in the lobby for all your excursions, restaurant reservations, etc., and you can't beat this location. It is right in the middle of everything.

I have been here two weeks, but unfortunately I have to leave tomorrow. Check out is 11:00 am, my flight is not til 10:15 pm, but I can spend another full day in Waikiki, they will store my luggage and give me a key to the owners lounge. Then, I can come back, shower and change, go to dinner, and enjoy the sunset from the owner's lounge before my shuttle picks me up at 7:30.

I discovered some knew interesting (local) and inexpensive places to eat this trip and you can read my reviews on Tripadvisor. These are all local favorites with great food at cheap prices ($7-13 for a full meal). Diamondhead Market and Grill, a great Udon noodle place a few blocks away on Kuhio, Eggs and Things 2 blocks away on Saratoga, the café at Honolulu Museum of art, Little Village Noodle House in Chinatown, Nico's on Pier 38, Uncle's Seafood on Pier 38, Giovanni's Shrimp truck, Big T's shrimp truck, Hula Dog truck (all on the North Shore), Matsomotos Shave Ice, Happy Belly in Chinatown.

You know, a resort should be a place to sleep and shower, unless you like the all inclusive thing, and your real vacation is what you make of visiting the local culture and haunts, and that is why I love this place. An inexpensive base camp with a lot of great people from all over the world from which to experience the best of what Oahu has to offer.

So if you don't like it, stay somewhere else and pay what they charge. For me, the Imperial is my home in Hawaii.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
11  Thank RUtraveller
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have given maybe 30 reviews over the years and this is the first one i have ever given just two stars to. That says a lot.

The hotel is in a great location, as others have stated. So are about 100 other hotels though, all in the same area. So, if the locaiton can be duplicated, then the room has to mean something too.

The room was small and ill-equiped. Very small. The partial kitchen? It had a fancy microwave and a mini fridge. So does every Holiday Inn Express I stay at, but they don't call it a partial kitchen. It had no stovetop. No oven. No dishwasher even to do dishes. I'm sorry, but I like the idea of using a dishwasher instead of doing dishes while on vacation. SHoot, it didn't even have a garbage disposal in the sink! It just ... "didn't have". One of the other things it didn't have was a bathroom in the bedroom. It was only a one bedroom, but I was fine with that. Our son stayed in the living room on the pull out bed. However, if we wanted to go to the bathroom at night, we had to leave the bedroom and walk past him to go the only bathroom in the unit. I can't think of the last time we didn't have a bathroom in the bedroom. in ANYunit we have stayed at. We are on vacation. We don't want to be walking past our 5 year old son on the way to the bathroom afterwards if we decide to be romantic in the bedroom (or just need to go bathroom.)

I just didn't like the unit. Too small, not enough amenities, and that DOES count when other places have the same location benefit and much better rooms. I won't stay at the Imperial again. I WILL go back to Oahu again, but not the Imperial. that's an honest opinion.

Room Tip: ALthough beingon the beach or being able to see it sounds like the ultimate, you can walk a block to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gomeljohn9
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great place to stay with only a 2 minute walk to the beach. It is situated well, with transport nearby as well as shops and restaurants. The resort itself is dated but still comfortable and clean after all it is only for sleeping and you should be out and about enjoying Waikiki. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The concierge was great and we arranged many tours through the front desk. He knew what we liked and recommended tours accordingly. A great stay and will be back again.
It is a bit like the GC in QLD Australia how it was 20 years ago.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed a few times at Imperial but this was the best as we were on 25th floor overlooking the beach.We had fantastic sunsets every night & the fireworks on Fridays were great.The hotel is looking a bit tired but we were informed that refurbishment was going to take over the next few years.Staff are always very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends