“All good!!!”

Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 26 October 2011

During a recent October vacation my girlfriend and I had the pleasure of staying a week at the Bamboo. I really liked this place,but first things first. This isn't no mega, cookie cutter hotel on the main strip. This is a smaller, older, more personable hotel off the beaten path. And when I say older it is very tastefully renovated with it's own classy style.
We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite, which I fully appreciated! The room was clean, comfortable and very nice. I really loved the feel of this place, it had the feeling of another time and place (well at least for Waikiki). The staff at the front desk was great, zero complaints at all! I would stay again at this hotel without hesitation and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice affordable hotel off the beaten path.
My only negative comment would be the noise on Kuhio Ave. I would recommend getting a room opposite the street. Kuhio Ave is a noisy street! I realize the hotel has no control over the traffic, sirens, the trash trucks or the drunks yelling in the street in the middle of the night but they're there...... Don't say I didn't warn you!

5  Thank BobAbooey505
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Aloha BobAbooey505,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are so glad that you enjoyed our zen atmosphere and unique style we offer at the Aqua Bamboo. We are no cookie cutter hotel, but I think that’s what makes us the gem that we are. We are thrilled that the staff was good to you and you enjoyed your comfortable suite.

We truly appreciate your selection of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. We look forward to seeing you back in the years to come!

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed 23 October 2011

My sister and I stayed at this hotel Oct/11 for two weeks. We had upgraded from a moderate room with a kitchenett to a larger room with a full kitchen.The room had two double beds and three balconies. The room was very clean and they gave plenty of towel. Two of the balconies faced the pool. (as we were at the back of the hotel the construction being done on the hotel front did not bother us).The pool area is lovley. There is complimentary coffee, tea, lemon water and ice tea or lemmonaid in the lobby all day. The location of the Bamboo is about two block from Waikiki beach (about a 5 min. walk).There are plenty of store in the area, with a Foodpanty for groceries about a 5-7 in walk from the hotel.
The staff at the Bamboo Hotel are wonderful. They are always friendly and helpful when we asked for either direction or suggesting on good resturants or what tour company to use.
We had a wonderfull time in Hawaii and at the Aqua Bamboo hotel.
We would stay at this hotel again when in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Ask from a room on the back of the hotel overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelgirls3

Aloha Travelgirls3,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your spacious room with a full kitchen and a courtyard view. We are also delighted that you enjoyed our relaxing pool area, our complimentary amenities, the convenient location and that you found our staff to be friendly & helpful during your stay with us.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

I stayed here with my partner during October 2011. I reserved a Moderate Hotel Room under 'Aqua's 10th Birthday Special'. On arrival we were relieved that we were able to check in extra early at 9:30 am after a 10 hour plane ride.

Big Negatives: There is construction work on the entire front of the building (facing the street). The website says "***Beginning September 6, 2011 the hotel will be undergoing exterior improvements." this belies the true extent of this work. Every balcony facing the street is being worked on and the entire front of the hotel is clad in scaffolding. We could not use our two balconies at all (they were untiled and being resurfaced) and we had to keep the blinds shut from 8am to 5:30pm for our privacy as there were workers going up and down on a suspended scaffold / swing stage outside our window.

While the workers were working on or near our balcony the smell of the smoke from their cigarettes filtered through the air con unit and ended up in our room. We could also hear their portable radio blasting out hits and commercials while we tried to have a siesta.

The bathroom stank constantly. It could have been really bad mildew but it smelled more like sewage.

The air conditioning units rattled very loudly and the noise from the street could be heard clearly coming from the small air conditioning units mounted in the walls.

We were sitting in our room on the first day when a Japanese couple barged in with luggage and very confused looks. I guess front desk had rented the same room out twice.

A few of the light globes were broken and needed to be replaced.

Positives: The pool area is new and pleasant. The actual pool is quite small (impossible to swim laps in). There is also a hot tub, deck chairs and iced tea and lemonade available for free.

Free in-room internet with acceptable speed, TV was 32inch Phillips LCD with 36 channels including local and some cable channels (including Discovery) all in 4:3 aspect ratio. Room included a kitchenette with small fridge, plates, bowls, microwave, oven.

The location is great, bus stop is straight across the road and it is a short direct walk to Waikiki beach.

If you are planning to stay here soon you must request a room overlooking the pool (which is at the rear of the hotel) or facing the sides of the building - there was no construction work going on there. I'd guess that at the rate the work appears to be going (read: slowly) the street facing balconies could be out of action until December.

For the price it was acceptable but there should have been a better warning of the major construction work going on and its effect on guests.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the pool (which is at the rear of the hotel) or facing the sides of the b...
2  Thank Blackjack_123456
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Aloha Blackjack_123456,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. We are thankful for your honest feedback as this is the most vital tool for our improvement.
I am pleased that we were able to meet your expectations in areas such as your early check-in. We are also delighted that you enjoyed the pool area, our Outer Sanctuary, and that you found the location to be a convenience for you.
We do regret that you were terribly inconvenienced due to the spalling project. Unfortunately, this project was years past due, and it was vital that it got started as soon as possible for the safety of our guests and the structure of our home here. As they were working on the side fronting Kuhio Ave., all sides of the hotel will be worked on eventually. We are doing one side of the building at a time to try and minimize the inconveniences to our guests as much as possible. We do apologize that you were also disturbed by the contractor’s music and such, but this has been addressed with the company and they are aware that this is not permitted.
Also, we are working on in-room improvements such as replacing the air conditioner units. I would appreciate it if you could e-mail me (nyoshimoto@aquaresorts.com) with your reservation information so that we can take a good look into the unit you were in and make necessary repairs/improvements in the bathroom and other areas. We are very proud of our accomplishments and we definitely take responsibility when we fail, so I deeply apologize that you did not enjoy your Aqua experience as it should be.
We truly appreciate your selection of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. We hope that if you travel to the islands in the future, you will give us a second chance. Please let me know if you would like to return to stay with us at the Aqua Bamboo as I will personally see that you experience the Bamboo as the “Gem” we are so well known for.

Nicole Yoshimoto

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Finishing up our trip to Hawaii. The service is excellent and friendly and responsible. They did a wonderful job keeping the room clean. There are very useful amenities including working high-speed internet (bring a LAN cable - Wifi is only available in the lobby), free water/tea service in the lobby, coin-operated washer/dryer on certain floors. Parking is limited and $20/night which is very reasonable in this area. The rooms are as described and clean. We saw no roaches during our stay. There is a kitchenette (hotplate) with sink and coffeemaker and plates/microwave.

The location is very central, which makes for noisy nights from the local traffic. Bring earplugs unless you're the most sound of sleepers.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Aloha Trustemd,

We are so happy that you found our staff to be friendly during your stay with us and that you found the central location of our hotel to be a convenience to you. We are also thrilled that you enjoyed the complimentary amenities offered at the hotel such as lobby beverages & internet. We do understand that the hotel can be noisy as we are located on one of the main streets in the heart of Waikiki. I would like to mention that earplugs are a good idea if you are a light sleeper, however there is no need to pack them along with you as we do have them in stock here at the hotel and they are complimentary for all of our guests.

We truly appreciate your selection of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 22 October 2011

I just got back from my stay at the Aqua bamboo and over all it was a nice stay. The staff goes above and beyond with the exception of a very rude dayshift front desk person. The building was nicely updated, pleasant, and comfortable. The location was great which allowed me to keep my rental car parked for most of my stay. The parking was a bit tight but I felt the parking was much safer than the building next store. I am already planning my vacation back to early next year and hope by than the remodel of the balconies will be complete by that time. Overall, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: A small rental would be ideal becuase parking is tight

Aloha Schiesl,

I sincerely apologize for the experience at the front desk which left you less than comfortable for the remainder of your stay. It is important to us that each guest feels at home and well taken care of & I regret that you did not experience this service that we are so well known for. I am happy to hear that the other staff members went above & beyond for you, which you so well deserve.

We truly appreciate your selection of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa and we genuinely hope that we get another chance to “wow” you in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 16 nights in September. We absolutely loved it here! The pool area and reception were relaxing and you wouldn't have thought you were next to the busiest part of the area. Nice little touches like the bamboozle and free coffee/apples made it extra special. The staff were all helpful and friendly and gave us tips and printed maps for when we were visiting places nearby.
The room was cleaned everyday, the only thing was the maid stopped leaving the coffee in the room towards the end but that was fine as there was coffe downstairs. They also give you shampoo conditioner and body lotion everyday so you dont even need to bring essentials. You also dont need to bring a towel as they supply you with one in return for a towel card.
The only small gripe was the refurb work was very loud in the day and we weren't aware of this when we booked. Also next time I am not sure we would look to have a front facing room as it can be a little noisy due to the road outside but nothing unbearable!
We will definitely be looking to stay here again and compared to the huge other hotels in the area this is a very cute boutique hotel which is a lot more personal. Thank you Bamboo for a lovely holiday!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Let's face it, Waikiki is fun, but it's also a sea of humanity. I for one don't want that sea to extend into my hotel. Walk into most Waikiki high-rise hotels and you will likely have to bob and weave your way past hordes of tourists just to get to the elevator. You may think you have to stay far away from the action to find peace and tranquility in your lodging, but there's a wonderful alternative just blocks from everything: The Aqua Bamboo.

First, the location; situated on Kuhio Avenue, it is truly a three minute walk to the beach, a major grocery store and right across the street from public transportation. It is just far enough from the action to feel like you can breathe.

This review pertains to the 1 bedroom suite with kitchenette. Keep in mind your room might be different. The Bamboo is only 12 floors which is smallish by Waikiki standards, but inside you will find a collection of standard rooms and suites. Our suite (1104) is advertised at 400 square feet and feels very spacious. There is a separate area for the kitchenette that is not even visible from the sitting area or bedroom. the kitchenette contained a two burner stove, a mini fridge, and a full-size built-in microwave. Sufficient pans, dishware and utensils were provided. A single serving coffee maker seems to be standard, but to our delight we found a 12 cup coffee maker under the counter. A sliding door off the kitchen opened to a railing with no lanai, but is one of three large sliders that can provide natural light and fresh air. A small table for two completes the space. Exit the kitchen and you find a generous closet that contains a safe and robes for your use while you are there. Enter the bathroom and you see a double sink, a 3x3 foot shower, and a full-size soak tub. Gold fixtures accent the black countertop. Two people can easily move about the bathroom at the same time.

Back inside the suite, you are now in the sitting room with a writing desk where there is a wired Ethernet connection. I checked it to be 1MB/s download and .33MB/s upload speeds. It is complementary during your stay. If you bring a 10 foot cable, you can surf from your bed, too. At the other end of the sitting room is a futon, which doubles as a sofa where you can sit and watch the secondary TV nestled in a nook with another mini-fridge. In our room, this nook also contained a DVD player and IPod enabled stereo system. Adjacent to the nook is sliding door number two. Impressed yet?

After you get over the amenities and spacious room, you notice the floor is all done tastefully in stone. Bamboo is not just in the name, as walls and furnishings are mostly finished in real bamboo and wood. Speaking of wood, separating the sitting room from the bedroom is a gorgeous and substantial louvered folding door, which when closed provides privacy and light filtering for those afternoon naps.

Moving into the bedroom, our suite had a massive four-poster king size bed supported by very realistic bamboo stalks at each corner. The entire wall behind the bed was mirrored. Two end tables surround the bed with bamboo wood lamps on each. At the end of the bed was a six-drawer dresser, large enough for longer stays. Above the dresser is your main TV, a large Visio LCD set housed in a tasteful black surround. A sitting bench gives you a place to put on your shoes or set a smaller open suitcase. I found the pillow top mattress comfortable, but the sheets didn't want to stay in place for some reason. By morning, I was untangling myself from them.

About the TVs... 30 channels of basic cable are on tap, and are not in HD. You can't plug anything into the main set due to it's mounting, but the secondary TV's inputs are exposed and sport HDMI and composite inputs for your camcorder or media player. Unlike many hotels, the Bamboo has no annoying pay-per-view interface that cripples the sets own remotes. Both TVs use the same Visio remotes so you can pass them back and forth.

Speaking of remotes, how about two, count em’, two identical high-tech Mitsubishi air conditioners with remotes? Too cold in bed? Raise the temp without getting up. Fan too high? Want to turn on the motorized vent deflector? All done via the remote. The one in the bedroom sits above the TV. The one in the sitting room is in the entertainment nook and cools the rest of the suite. Some rooms in the hotel may have older AC units, but these were powerful and quiet.

Now it's out to your lanai. Only average in size, ours was provided with two sturdy wooden chairs and a small table for your coffee or mai-tais. Our view was to the west. The city views were stunning and fun to watch.

Some miscellaneous comments...

During our entire stay, I never saw one bug, only one little tiny Gecko (and I mean tiny!) out in the hall. We did see ladies of the night, but not in front of the hotel. They are all over Waikiki and are no reflection on the Bamboo or it's location, which felt nice and safe to us. After 10pm you must use your card key to enter.

The two smallish elevators were fast and prompt. We never waited more than about one minute for them to arrive.

The pool area is a true Mecca, and if you are not happy lounging in your room or on the beach with the free towel service, you can go out there and rest in peace and quiet on padded chairs and lounges.

We loved the staff who were attentive when you needed them and unobtrusive when you didn't.

Conclusion: for the price of a standard room in a big name hotel one or two blocks closer to the beach, you can have a private oasis in the middle of the frenzy that is Waikiki. It must be the Zen.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom with kitchenette is your best value.
2  Thank sduncanae

Aloha Sduncanae,

We are so happy that you enjoyed your One Bedroom Suite with its lavish furnishings and spacious quarters along with the stocked kitchenette area. We are delighted that you found the location to be a convenience and you felt safe & secure in our secluded paradise after hours. We are also thrilled that you enjoyed and felt the “Zen” atmosphere and ambiance that we try to reflect in our lobby & Outer Sanctuary (pool area).

We truly appreciate your selection of the Aqua Bamboo & Spa and we look forward to seeing you again in the years to come.