“Somewhat Disappointing”

Marine Surf Waikiki
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I'm an annual traveller to Honolulu and stay from 2 weeks to a month. I booked by phone with Hawaiian Condo Resorts. I was warned that this is not a luxury property as I had stayed at the Royal Gardens in 2007 and found it very comfortable.

However, I was not prepared for the dirty bathroom, kitchen (thick grease and dead bugs under the kitchen sink) and seriously stained rug. They did send someone in to clean and shampoo a few days after arrival but this should have been done beforehand. It takes valuable time away from your holiday when you have to spend time on the phone making arrangements and then sitting around waiting for them to arrive.

I was informed when booking that this was a 'recently renovated' unit and it was anything but with cracked tiles, damaged floors and bedding that did not fit the mattress properly. I understand that there are some fairly decent units in the Marine Surf but I wouldn't book with Hawaiian Condo Resorts again as you cannot trust what they tell you when you can't check things out beforehand.

The best thing about the place is its proximity to just about everywhere in Waikiki you'd want to go. Also the monthly rate was low for the location. As far as I'm concerned you benefit most when you're NOT IN the actual hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank teluogirl
harold364, Manager at Marine Surf Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2009

Aloha Teluogirl - I apologize for your bad experience during your stay at the Marine Surf Waikiki. Being the Manager of the hotel, it is important to us that all our hotel rooms are clean and our guests are as comfortable as possible. As you may know, the Marine Surf Waikiki is a Condo/tel and as such some rooms are rented out privately while others are in our hotel operation. Unfortunately your experience was with a private unit that was handled by a private company which is not affiliated with the hotel and not under our control.

Reviewed 28 July 2008

The rooms are spacious non-smoking studios with kitchens. While it is not a luxury hotel, we found it very comfortable and clean, with two long double beds which accomodates up to 4, as in our family. The location is great, 1and half short blocks to the beach and the center of the action in Waikiki, walking to all the restaurants and shopping in the area. The International Market Place is right across street next to the Waikiki Trade Center.
Parking is available for $5 daily. Matteo's restaurant located in the hotel lobby, was closed for renovations during our 8 day stay, but it is said to be a very good Italian restaurant. The staff was friendly and helpful, and we saved a lot of money by staying here, which was better spent booking tours, sightseeing, and dining at the beachfront restaurants in some of the big hotels. By the way, I recommend Chris from SAV-ON TOURS for your tours and luau, he is located in the Waikiki Trade Center across the street. Toll free: 1-866-729-8016 and be sure to tell him Mrs. Fernandez recommended you and he will give you good prices.
I recommend this hotel for families and if you want to budget in your accomodations as you do not pay extra for up to 4 persons, other hotels do charge after the 2nd person. Our flight was in the evening so we paid half day rate for 6pm check out.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Flymom26
Reviewed 2 July 2008

If your looking for modern elegance this is NOT the place for you HOWEVER: if your looking for a place to sleep and shower and be CLOSE to ALL you have FOUND it!!! Nice size room,(smells a little like mold but you are in Hawaii and humidity) with kitchenette and all essentials (just stock with snacks and drinks)! Location is right in the heart of it all! Couldn't of asked to be closer to the beach unless I paid for it. only 1 1/2 blocks away and you have 2 Starbucks on the way! Life is great! Hotel is older but clean. Maid service and staff are great! And it is a secured building being your right in the heart of Waikki...made me feel safe. Pool is adequate-- beaches are better! Parking was great being only $5 a day BARGAIN...and right there in the building! Coin-op laundry on floor 4 what a convenience! $2.99 breakfast just down on the corner is fabulous. This hotel may only be 2 stars but worth the savings in money to be in Hawaii...I would definitely good back to Marine Surf Waikki!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Pinkhats
Reviewed 18 March 2008

I booked our condo thru Hawaiin Condo Resorts and everything went very smooth. We arrived late in the evening (11pm) so we had to pay for a late check-in even though they guy only had to cross the street to bring us the keys. We stayed in unit 1605 which was close to the elevator and we were facing Seaside Ave so we just had to look to the right to see the ocean and down to see the pool. There is only sun by the pool from about 11am to 3pm and it closes at 7pm. A parking stall came with our room at no extra charge and that was nice to have as we had a car. Unfortuneatly the first night we were there our brand new convertible was keyed and the staff we not very helpful and said they saw nothing on the surveillance tape. We also received a warning for parking in our own stall but got that cleared up PDQ as well. The staff got friendlier as time passed though and seemed genuinly concerned as to how we made out with our vandalised car.
The a/c worked great, many times we shut it off and opened the lanai door as it was getting too cold.
I saw roach hotels in the room but I never saw a bug of any kind. I was glad I took dishclothes and teatowels as there were none in the room. Also, there is laundry on every floor but the washing machine on our floor was out of order the whole time. You have to buy a 'laundry' card from the front desk for $5 and load it at a machine in the lobby, its 1.25 to wash and .75 to dry. We had to go and buy pillows as the ones provided were extremely flat. I know I will be leaving some the things I purchased for here in the room but I have no idea if they will stay there.
Things I would suggest you take along if renting a private unit is a paring knife, dish and hand soap, dishcloth and teatowel, salt/pepper, cling film/tin foil, laundry soap/dryer sheets and toilet paper and it's expensive here. I guess it depends on the length of your stay. We stayed for 3 weeks.
There is also and iron and ironing board and a vacuum as you are on your own, you have to supply your own toilet paper as well.
This unit is in a great cenral Waikiki location, close to everything.
It can be noisy but that's Waikiki, I don't know if you can find a 'quiet' place there.

Stayed: March 2008
3  Thank kirababy
Reviewed 4 November 2007

Stayed there for one night Oct. 30. Room 1309. Moldy smell assaulted you when walking into the room Really bad. Over all condition of the hotel was Run down. Pubic hairs in the tub. Mold on the tile in bathroom. Only good thing was that we were only there for 1 night.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mbleill
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Stayed here for 6 nights. Good central Waikiki location. The room was clean and roomy. Car parking was good value for money.

Reception staff could be a little abrupt but overall a fine experience.

P.S. The Italian restaurant in the lobby is fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sbworcs
Reviewed 17 July 2007

We arrived at this hotel late at night and there were alot of sketchy looking characters in the lobby.....looked like prostitues, meth addicts, etc...The room's carpeting was filthy and the whole room smelled of urine. We left in the morning.

Stayed: June 2007