“Room was spacious, free breakfast was very good”

Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Location a bit down the Waikiki strip. Room was typical Hyatt Place, very roomy. Free breakfast was excellent, good variety and nice pool outdoor location. Friendly helpful staff. Activities desk person had good knowledge of Honolulu and book exactly what I wanted.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tkarpinski
Write a ReviewReviews (3,205)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Checking in was quite the circus since a high school band (like 200 + people in the lobby) had also just arrived. But the receptionist got us into a great room and I found this to probably be one of the CLEANEST hotels I have ever stayed at, and I am REALLY picky. The linens were so soft and fresh, the room was a great size. Ours came with continental breakfast, which also was decent. Nick the bartender was especially helpful because we were running late for an outing and I wanted to fill up my Nalgene before going out (with tap water and ice from the ice machine) but had forgotten and didn't really want to trudge upstairs to do so since I had already had the valet go get my car. Nick was super nice and filled up both my Nalgene bottles from the bar. Super nice. Great hotel. Awesome staff. Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelKiwi_10
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

MelKiwi_10- Mahalo for sharing your great feedback with us. We pride ourselves on our pristine accommodations and exceptional service. It gives us great pleasure to read that Nick went above and beyond for you while you were here. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I would have given this hotel 5 stars if it has been on the beach! Although redecorated 2 years ago, the rooms look like they were redone last week. The decor is very nice and the rooms are beautiful. The room we had, an upgraded queen room (1408), was very large with the bed area separated from the wrap around sofa area by a narrow divider. The carpet looked brand new, the bed linens were crisp and white, and the bath towels were large and thick. The bath featured a very large, thick glass walk-in shower with the shower/toilet room separated by a door from the very pretty sink area. The only negative was that the sink area opened into the bedroom (no door) and one light switch turned on the sink area and shower/toilet area lights. So, if anyone turned on the light switch to use the toilet during the night, the bedroom lighted up. A large safe in the closet was appreciated. The hotel staff from curb to reception to housekeeping was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included. It was probably the best complementary breakfast I've had in a hotel with delicious fresh squeezed orange juice and numerous hot and cold breakfast items all well cooked and presented, and served in a beautiful setting on the open air swim pool deck of the hotel. The free Wi-Fi in our room was fast, and computers were available (free) in the lobby for printing boarding passes.

3  Thank TravelTalk4You

TravelTalk4You- Mahalo for the wonderful feedback! We enjoyed reading how much you appreciated our well-appointed accommodations, contemporary decor and crisp linens. It is very flattering to read that you found our breakfast to be the best you've ever had when staying at a hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband & I were booked here as part of a large group of athletes & family members returning from an international track meet in Australia, and we stayed two nights. Our room on floor 14 of 18 was very spacious and comfortable, but I am not attaching a picture because it overlooked the side alley, which was very noisy most of the time. Since this was a layover stay, however, it was adequate for our purposes.

Waikiki Beach is a 2 or 3-block walk, which wasn't too bad. The room was not serviced by the housekeeping staff during our one full day there, so we had to get creative with drying our towels for reuse.

Since this stay was part of a larger trip, and I didn't receive an itemized breakdown of everything, I cannot comment upon the value of this hotel, though I do know that one of the other members of our group chose to extend her stay, and they charged her only $60 for the extra night. I have no idea how this compares to the regular rack rate.

The one oddity of the room is that the entry area and bathroom/vanity lights are all controlled by a master rocker switch next to the front door -- the up position on the switch is labeled "Aloha." It took a few minutes to figure out to set that switch to "Aloha" before any of the other lights would come on!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

gyanhumara- Mahalo for taking the time to share your review with us. We regret to hear if your guest room was not serviced during your stay, and apologize for the inconvenience. Next time you happen to visit Waikiki, we hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I wouldn't go back to this hotel for the price we paid. My family was unimpressed with their customer services. One of the worst things happened at this hotel was that at the free breakfast, an employee who was in charge of clearing the tables, kept spraying pigeons using his cleaning spray bottle 6-8 feet away. He kept missing the pigeons but managed to spray the mist of cleaning liquid all over the dining space. It was one of the most terrible dining experience we had at any hotels.
Because we are family of four, we needed one more set of shampoo and conditioner tubes, I requested them. Our request was never heard.
Valet personals were kind but overwhelmed time to time. It was slow. One time, bunch of guests and we had to wait about 30-40 min to get our cars.
We are from Hawaii and often have to visit Oahu. There are better valued hotels with better customer services out there. I wouldn't recommended it.

1  Thank Hawaiikamaaina140

Hawaiikamaaina140- Mahalo for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We do our best to prevent the pigeons from infiltrating the dining space, and can assure you this was an unintentional action on our part. It is also unacceptable to come that close to a dining guest with a spray bottle, and we will be sure to address this internally. Also, it is not our standard to not follow up on a guest request for extra amenities and apologize for not following through. We apologize for the challenges you experienced during your recent stay, and can assure you this experience is a rare one – one that I hope you will allow us to improve upon, provided you choose to give us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family of four (2 adults and 2 small kids aged 5 and 9) stayed at the Hyatt Place July 8-15th. Upon arriving, we unloaded the taxi with 3 big luggages and 3 small ones, no one came to offer any help, which is fine , we managed. Check in was quick. Stayed on the 16th floor. Got the room we wanted, corner ocean view. Room was modern, spacious, clean. Beds and pillows were comfy, almost too soft at times. Free breakfast with limited options however, enough options for each of us to choose from, incl hot items which changes daily. Free wifi which was pretty good, not slow at all. Small gym but decent. The hotel was 2 blocks from Waikiki Beach, 5 minute walk. The Honolulu Zoo is also a short 7 minute walk. Elevators were extremely slow at times, you can end up waiting 5-10 mins for one. Pool was tiny, however, the kids liked it and only used once or twice. Mostly we went to the beach. Housekeeping was friendly and did a good job. On Fridays, they also had a free lei making in the lobby/gallery and my daughter and I absolutely loved it! Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for value and a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean view
4  Thank Trinnerrr
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

AnneEdmonton- Mahalo for taking the time to recap your recent experience at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach! We enjoyed reading how much you and your daughter enjoyed the lei making class at the hotel... this is a great activity for both adults and kids staying with us. We regret if you did not receive any assistance with luggage upon arrival, and will be sure to follow up on this internally. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you and the family back again soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Firstly, I understand that when check in time says three that I shouldn't expect to check in any earlier - however I had repeatedly made myself known to reception and was waiting in the lobby with a small child so was surprised when finally, at three o'clock, the very unfriendly, Lynne, told me that since I was the last to check in for my room type which had been oversold she was going to downgrade me and give me the difference in money back. I'm sorry, last to check in? I'd been there since 9am! She didn't even ask! Of course I told Lynne that downgrading me would not do - I come from a city, I came to Hawaii to get an ocean view, not city view, which is what I had booked and paid for months ago. She was not friendly or helpful but appeared to downgrade the last poor people who had not checked in. The room was spacious and nice. Good view - worth arguing for. Pool is a disaster, no shade and in a total wind tunnel. Didn't even bother to venture to breakfast there. Housekeeping didn't vacuum once, sometimes didn't even appear until the late afternoon. Usually did a poor job, no clean glasses etc. Waiting on the lifts was a complete joke, sometimes it'd be 15 minutes! Who's got that kinda time? Waiting for a drink at the bar in the lobby was just as bad - doesn't matter if you want a wine or a cup of tea, they'll pretend not to see you but are the thirstiest on the island for a tip. The hotel is really quite a walk from the main strip. Wouldn't recommend it.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Annas2561778
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Aloha Annas2561778- We regret that your recent stay left such a negative opinion of our accommodations and service efforts. While we were happy to hear that you did enjoy our spacious guest room, we see there were many things that prevented you from having a positive experience with us. Rest assured, this is not the level of service that our loyal guests have come to expect from our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the long wait you experienced at check in and any inconvenience you experienced. We hope you will be so kind to give us another try so we can show you the level of service and hospitality we have built our strong reputation on for the last three years.