“May be exactly what you need..?”

OHANA Waikiki East Hotel
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The Ohana Waikiki East is perhaps the best value in Waikiki Beach (downtown Honolulu), but it doesn’t come without a number of problems. The hotel is dated, things don’t work properly, rooms are very noisy, and customer service is questionable. But with all the free perks, excellent location, and reasonable price, this place is catered to the frugal traveller.

We have never been to Hawaii before and learned a few things that can assist others like us. From the airport a shared shuttle was $15/per person. My wife and I were able to take a private taxi to the hotel for $35, but take caution during rush hour as traffic is terrible in Honolulu!

Upon arrival we were immediately excited by the location, centrally located in the middle of it all. Staying along the beach means paying premium prices for everything. The Ohana’s location 2 blocks from the water means you’ll have value; breakfast can be found for $4, seven T-shirts for $20, and day trips are discounted across the street (@Tours4Less). No need to worry about anything if you forgot to bring it!

Hotel customer service was hit and miss during our 10 day stay. Some of the staff was very friendly and patient, while others were rude and abrupt making it appear that we were an inconvenience. The hotel is clean and offers a small swimming pool, cafe, Laundromat, tourist desk, and two computers with printer (pay per use).

The hotel offers an impressive amount of free amenities; free 15 minute calls within US/Canada (great for booking activities), free trolley use, free WiFi internet, coffee/tea bags for room, and a small mini fridge. I would recommend management put a microwave in the lobby for guest to use; until then, you can ask staff at the cafe in the lobby if you can use their microwave.

When you get to the hotel, pickup the small coupon book “Best of O’ahu” in the lobby and go through the back pages for coupons. There are enough coupons to keep you busy for the week and helps you save a couple dollars during your trip. Our favorite coupon was $5 off lunch (Reg.$15) at the Akino Makittii (buffet) across the street which had a good variety. Groupon is also a great way to save money if can buy them in advance before coming (half price dinners, surf lessons, and spas).

Overall, the quality of your stay here will depend on the type of traveller that you are. If you’re at all picky and looking for luxury of some sort I would recommend going to an upgraded hotel like the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber ($200/night), or one of the high end hotels along the water ($300/night). But if you’re looking for an affordable safe alternative in an expensive area, this place may be exactly what you need.

Safe travel, friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Khoazy

Reviewed 6 August 2012

pros: close proximity to waikiki beach

cons: unfriendly front desk staff who act as if they would rather swim with sharks than help you, poor insulation in walls; as I could clearly hear conversations in neighboring rooms, small bathroom, iron did not work, bathroom did not contain a hair dryer (standard feature at other hotels I have visited), outdoor sauna was cold, beach/pool towels they provide are fit for use only by a toddler, stains on the carpet, and hotel restaurant's menu was unappetizing.

1  Thank candy c
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We paid $3800 for 12 days in a 2 bedroom apartment. Ripoff doesn't begin to describe it.

We needed three beds (three women travelling). We got two doubles. The third bed was the clapped out sofabed in the lounge. The springs were poking through the paper-thin mattress (so thin you woke up with the springs and bars imprinted on your body).

On the 14th floor we had the wind whistling through the extremely poorly maintained patio doors - non stop for 12 days.

The arrogance of the manager was unbelieveable! Her reaction was "I don't control the weather". She clearly couldn't take responsibly for her own hotel.

The curtains were shredded in both the bedrooms and lounge. Paint was hugely blistered and falling off the window sills.

Bathroom - no bath and the room was so small that, when you sat on the loo, your knees touched the wall opposite.

Reception staff were dreadful. Totally unhelpful and seemed to delight in being obstructive. I rang reception to try and get moved to a different room - or hotel - and was told "no". Charming! I said I'd come down and talk to them. Their response ... "do what you like, it won't make any difference".

Great location ... but beware!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Location was ideal for it was only a few blocks to the beach and the International Market Place. The main steet in Waikiki is only a block away where all the shops are located. The resturant next door to the hotel servers breakfast for as little as $3.99 which includes pancakes, bacons, and eggs. The hotel offers a discount coupon to eat there. Your hotel room key card entitles you to ride the 'Pink Trolley" for free which takes you to the Zoo or the shopping center with stops in between otherwise it's $2.00. We had a kitcheneet room which is nothing more than a counter with a sink, microwave, fridge and a toaster, no stove. If you have a room between the 15 and 18 floor, there is an express elevator just for those floors. The swimming pool and hot tub was OK. This hotel offers special rates for airline employees and retirees.

Room Tip: The kitcheneet room we stayed in only had 1 queen bed. The rollerway was just a rollerway. They sh...
1  Thank jaywalk
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Decided to give an Outrigger hotel another try even though my last three experiences were poor. Main concerns, at the Ala Moana Hotel and Ohana East: though I called before each visit, directly to the hotels to make certain I would have a room with a minimum of two double beds, and was assured I would, upon arrival, in order to get two beds, I was made to upgrade, not one category but two. Yes, I had the name of the person who assured me and was told, "she should not have told you that." Ok, one time I can understand but not three and now four times.

Add to this, customer service at both hotels was poor at best. The front desk person treated me like I was the 900th person she had helped. I live in Hawaii. I was born in Hawaii. I'm not passing through. I also work in the hotel industry on a neighbor island. I am polite, smiling and friendly. I know what it is like to be in customer service. I have never and did not this time, raise my voice or make a scene.

This time at the Ohana East, after being made to upgrade to get two beds, to the floor below the penthouse, we were basically written off by the receptionist. Getting rid of us was her main goal. I mentioned this and past matters to several travel specialist friends of mine who contacted their sources and they contacted the General Manager. Did I hear from him or a representative? No. My parking fee was cut in half and when I had to return for an overnight stay (same trip but had to go to different side of the island for a few days), I was given the penthouse which was exactly like the room I was made to upgrade to. But this time, the upgrade charge was waived. Goodbye, good riddance. No reaching out, no apologizing for the behavior of the person who first checked is in, no apology for he fact I keep getting made to upgrade.

I asked my travel specialist friends to be honest. Was I expecting too much? Was I being petty? Because I work for a luxury hotel that excels in service should I lower my expectations? Everyone of them answered a resounding NO and so did all of their contacts who contacted the GM.

Too bad because overall, the Ohana East is located well as is the Ala Moana. But for now, Outriggers are off my list.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Grapejuice49
FUNin96815, Guest Relations Manager at OHANA Waikiki East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2016

OHANA® Hotels by Outrigger is our Mid-tier, Off-Beach Leisure Brand where guests will find local hospitality and convenience in paradise.

Aloha Mai. Please like us on face book (Ohana Waikiki East) where you will find us interacting with our past, present and future guests. Sharing our story, our culture and our place. Mahalo for engaging.

Noted: photos by “TripAdvisor Travel Expert” over four years old. All beds replaced in 2014. No bedspreads exist in any rooms. All TV’s are 42” flat screen. Apologies for any misrepresentation crated by their images.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Great central location in Waikiki. Easy walk to most Waikiki attractions like the beach, aquarium, shopping, etc. there's also a bus stop right by the hotel. Rooms are small but clean and efficient (and have a mini-fridge for restaurant leftovers!).
If you're looking for 5 star luxury, look elsewhere. If you want a clean, affordable 3 star hotel this is a great pick

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 17 July 2012

ohana east is in a great location, 2 min walk to the beach and across the road from all the shops etc. Hotels is clean, service is great but watch out for 20 dollar parking fee per day! Furniture needs renovation ASAP

Swimming pool is also small and not very attractive as well as gym.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple