We stayed at this great hotel in October 2012 for 8 nights. We had 2 rooms, one was a one bedroom kitchenette suite and the second one was a regular room with 2 double beds. There was 3 of us in the one bedroom and it was sooooo roomy. There was an open area with the kitchenette and a table and chairs and a fold out sofa bed, as well as plenty of drawer space, a tv cabinet and a desk with a chair. The bedroom was huge and had 2 double beds, another tv, another desk and a large wardrobe/cupboard containing a safe and lots of hanging space. The bathroom was on the smallish side but in saying that, we were 3 ladies and we still had enough room for our toiletries and make up. You can also use either of the 2 desks too.
I can honestly say this room was fantastic. We were lucky enough to be on the 18th floor with a gorgeous view of both the mountains and partial ocean. We spent a lot of time on the lanai having quiet drinks or a morning coffee :)
We are Australian and we love to shop and there was lots of room for our shopping and many suitcases..lol.
My mother and sister were also on the 18th floor but in a regular size room. They did like their room and the view too but in all honesty, it is worth the extra money for the one bedroom suite if you intend to stay for a week or more. They stayed for 3 weeks and were very happy with the hotel in general.
Our flight arrived early and we knew our rooms would not be ready but we were greeted at the desk by Maile who is wonderful and has worked at the hotel for many many years. She told us our room numbers and said they would be ready in a couple of hours which they were after we had a yummy breakfast at Denny's and shopping at the Ross Dress for Less which is just a couple of blocks away.
The hotel location is perfect, it is on the corner of kuhio and kaiulani avenues. There are so many great places to eat within walking distance, everything from Denny's, Chillis, Cheesecake Factory, and way too many more to mention but you can get everything from a cheap meal in the food court of the international markets to a much more up market meal at nearby hotels on the beach.
You can walk to the beach easily, and in fact can walk to either end of Waikiki very easily. The Bus which is a very easy way to get around, stops across the road from the hotel but guests of the hotel can also use the pink trolley line for free which takes you around Waikiki and to Ala Moana shopping center which we spent a lot of time at...lol. We would highly recommend at least one visit to Ala Moana shopping center even if you are not shopaholics like us! :) It's a great mall, with a huge Sears, Macy's and hundreds of stores and a great food court.
The lobby of the hotel is big and welcoming and the front desk staff are very friendly, so are the maids. We felt very welcome and the staff were always happy to answer questions.
The pool area is great. The pool itself is a little on the cool side as it doesn't get the sun all day but it was lovely once you got in. There is also a jacuzzi which was very warm and relaxing. Lots of lounges and table and chairs, we were always able to get one easily. There is a lot of privacy at the pool as you can't access it from the street.
We ate at the pizza bar downstairs in the hotel and the food and drinks were great and very reasonably priced too. Keoni's is also in the hotel and they have a great breakfast. There is also a little coffee shop in the lobby.
Okay, so this is not a Sheraton or Hilton so please don't expect it to be. What you do get is a very well priced moderate hotel in a fantastic location of Waikiki. As I mentioned, we Aussies love to shop so we would much rather spend our money at all the great shipping malls (Ala Moana, Pearlridge, windward mall and of course Waikele outlets) and spend less on accomodation. But what we found at the ohana east was a fantastic hotel, great facilities, great parking (we rented a car for 5 days which I highly recommend) and the perfection location.
This was my 10th trip to Oahu and my mothers 24th trip, we always stay in moderately priced hotels and now that we have stayed at the Ohana East, I would never stay anywhere else. Would happily recommend this to anyone,
Thank you to the Ohana East for a wonderful, memorable stay. Hope to see you all again very soon :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- OHANA(R) Hotels by Outrigger is our mid-tier, off-beach leisure brand where guests will find local hospitality and convenience in paradise. Located in central Waikiki, this Waikiki hotel is just a 7-minute stroll to Waikiki Beach, next door to The International Marketplace and one block from Kalakaua Avenue's shopping and entertainment. OHANA Waikiki East provides safe, clean and well maintained mid-tier accommodation proudly supported by long serving hosts, many who have been with the Outrigger family for over thirty years. OHANA Waikiki East is unlike beachfront resorts where you may choose to spend your time indoors. Rather, it is an enjoyable home base for your Island adventures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your OHANA Waikiki East Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ohana East Hotel Honolulu
- Ohana East Honolulu
- OHANA Waikiki East Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu