“Awesome location and faultless in every way”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Really enjoyed my stay here for a number of reasons: 1) Location is fantastic, close to beach and shops but not too close that it is too busy and noisy 2) Modern, clean facilities and great amenities eg. gym, laundry, internet, pool, restaurants, shops, and more 3) service was outstanding, esp the activities desk staff who were only too willing to help 4) good value for money 5) great view of the ocean 6) you are in HAWAII!!! 7) room size was great also, plenty of room

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
11  Thank noscreenname6
Write a ReviewReviews (6,025)

Reviewed 9 June 2011

Never in my very hectic life have I taken the time to write a review on any hotel - whether good or bad.......until now!

I was on a business trip in Honolulu this month (June 2011) and decided to stay over the weekend for a little rest and relaxation. A friend recommended the Outrigger Reef at the Beach in Wakiki. Because I am extremely hard to please, I spent quite a bit of time on the internet reviewing hotels. Based on the recommendation of my friend, I decided to stay at the Outrigger. Unfortunately, I don't think the pictures of the hotel which are on line really convey how nice the rooms are.

My experience was better than I could have ever expected from the minute I got out of the taxi. I was greeted at the taxi and that employee walked me to the registration desk. The bellman escorted me to my room without any delays.

I was so excited to see the view from my room!!!!! I had booked an Ocean Front room which sat right on the water. The breeze, the view, the color of the water and the sound of the waves was more than I had expected. The balcony had walls that gave me privacy from the rooms on either side and was truly an ocean front room. No obstructions! I was five floors up which gave me total and complete privacy. While I was there for the weekend, I also checked out the five star hotel next door for future trips. Their ocean front rooms ran from $400 to $750/night depending on the season. Their ocean view rooms faced other hotel rooms with balconies that had no privacy. The room was not as spacious as my room at the Outrigger and not nearly as nice for a much higher rate.

As a business traveler for a major corporation, I have stayed at many hotels such as the W, Four Seasons and Fairmont. The Outrigger compared to any of these hotels! One of the things I particularly liked about my room is the hallway that seperated the entry and bathroom from the sleeping area.. This gave the bathroom area privacy and made the room feel so much larger.

I so enjoyed my room that I spent the majority of my time over the weekend just sitting on the balcony enjoying the view and the sound of the ocean. The staff was "geniunely nice". When I ordered room service regardless of the time of day, it always arrived within 20 minutes. When I checked out the bellman arrived within five minutes to get my luggage.

The service at this hotel is exceptional! Not one bad experience. The room was large and very clean. I truly can't wait to go back again!

The Hotel Princess!

Room Tip: 5th floor good distance up for privacy
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank JAR950
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The Outrigger Reef Hotel in Waikiki is a gem. Our room was clean, modern, comfortable and very well equipped. The restaurants were a delight particularly the beachside Ocean House restaurant. Their breakfast waffle smothered with blackberries, raspberries and whipped cream was to die for. This hotel has many good shops catering to all tastes and needs. The staff were excellent, helpful and polite. The main shopping area of Waikiki was a few short blocks away. I highly recommend this hotel and would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Make reservations for the Ocean House restaurant
7  Thank Twytz
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My wife to be and I booked the Outrigger Reef as our hotel of choice for our wedding. Boy did that turn out to be the biggest mistake of our wedding.

We had to confirm our reservation three times, telling them that it was for our wedding. Only to find out that they screwed up the reservation anyways. On top of that they would not let us check-in early, or give us priority - even with it being our wedding night. Front desk staff were rude on the phone, and rude in person. The Bell hop stacked our suitcases on top of my wife's wedding dress. A big/long white bag - clearly a wedding dress - what an idiot! We booked a room w/ a partial ocean view. What a joke! We were right beside the pool, and the only way you could see the ocean was if you leaned over the balcony and looked to to the right - way off in the distance. What's worse is that upon trying to resolve all of these issues, the front desk staff were not cooperative, rude, pretentious, and insulting. Stating that they would have to charge us extra - if we were to move rooms that night. Ultimately, they said there was nothing else that they could do that night. But, there recommendation was that we could change rooms the next day. The next day??? I just finished telling the staffer that that was our wedding day, and that was his brilliant/helpful recommendation. How am I going to change rooms on my wedding day? There was no manager on staff at night, therefore - we could no deal with any higher level staff members. In a weak attempt to try and make the situation better, they left a bottle of sparkling wine in our room the next day - which was warm by the time we got home from our wedding reception. Thanks for nothing Outrigger. Upon checkout we voiced our frustration and unhappiness to the Manager, whom said that if they had known they would have down something. Here's a recommendation - maybe have one Manager on staff at night so that you CAN resolve these sort of issues.

Room Tip: Don't go here for your wedding.
16  Thank UnhappyWedding
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Booked and paid for confirmed "oceanview" room. Room provided was "partial ocean view" only with a small sliver of ocean view. A classic hotel pont of view. After a lengthy discussion with the Manager, we realised the Hotel could not provide the "oceanview " room as booked, and they were not prepared to consider an upgrade. Finally the Hotel agreed to charge only the "partial oceanview" rate. (for the same room)
All other facilities were very average, and staff rarely spoke to say "Aloha" or address us by name. Staff seemed unhappy.
For the money, we expected a lot better and could not reccommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Must be very specific. ie. oceanview means 90D +
2  Thank peterandlorraine
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We stayed in the Outrigger Reef on the Beach from 22 till 25 May and had a city-view suite. The accommodation was absolutely fabulous and I couldn't fault it. We didn't make much use of the balcony, as it was right above the street, but once you closed the doors, you didn't notice the noise. The room was spotless with all amenities one can wish for. Beds very comfortable. We tried all 3 restaurants and the Ocean House was the top, food, service and view! We had breakfast in the Shore Bird Restaurant, buffet style, which was somwhat limited, but also very inexpensive and again, fantastic views of the Ocean. The Kani Ka Pila Grille was fun, nice live Hawaiian music every night and good food. There is also a Starbucks Coffee shop in the hotel, not to be missed.
I would highly recommend this hotel if you want to be on the beach, but not right in the middle of it all. The beachwalk to the Western side of Waikiki starts next to the hotel and the Army museum is 2 minutes walk away. The newly developed beachwalk area with lots of nice shops and restaurants is again only 2 minutes away.

8  Thank AWCostless
Reviewed 6 June 2011

The photos on line must not be updated beause this hotel was very beautiful.Renovated in 2008? Great palce to stay!We would stay here again hands down.If this hotel is not up to your standards then go right next door to the left of the Outrigger on the Reef and you will be told what to wear as the have a dress code.
We visited the Shore Bird alot, great staff. We had the breakfast buffet almost every morning here or went half a block to Dennys. If you try their buffet at Shore Bird you have to try thier coconut pound cake it is only on their breakfast buffet.Personally I think it taste MUCH better then the coconut cake at the hotel next door, that has been ranked #1 for the last several years.
My husbands favorite part of the whole trip was Pearl Harbor. Mine however was the catermaran trip right on our hotels beach front. We did the sunset cruise, unlimted drinks,just amazing(go to the rest room before you go out on the catermaran) close call.
Our 2nd best thing was the Hole in The Wall food tour. We learned so much history about Hawaii from the owners, Matthew &Kera then we did on any of the tours we went on. Plus got to try new friuts and foods. We did this tour the day after we got there in case we wanted to go back to some of the places we visited.But we ended up going to some of the other resturants the highly recomended. We would definatley do this tour again.
We also did the circle Island tour because we wanted to see the north shore. Awesome views. We also went to the Jermane Luau.I really was not that impressed,I could have gotten must of that kind of food at the local KFC. you can get the pulled pork almost anywhere.And the driver of Hawaii tours was the worse driver and maybe 20yrs old.I felt like I was riding with someone with a learners permit:o( (STICK WITH THE POLYNESIAN TOUR COMPANY.THEY ARE THE BEST!! GARENTEED YOU WILL BE LAUGHING THE WHOLE TOUR WITH THEM. )We had Keow for our Pearl Larbor trip and Leo for our Cirle Island tour. GREAT COMPANY!! The worst part of the trip was the VIP shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The gentleman who was supposed to meet us(joshua) was VERY RUDE to the lady who greeted us with a lei telling her it was her job to find him. He didnt even have a list of names or he would have realized he was missing someone after 45 min.She tried calling him 4 times.Then she assured us to not worry, we could ride with her group. She was going to make sure we would get to our hotel. And she did!
V.I.P did refund our money since it was paid in advance but the need to get rid of Joshua for his behavior and treating a woman like that in front of 15 other couples. He never even asked who he forgot or was missing just walked on passed us taking care of the group he had. The wounderful lady was handling a Expedian group of 4-5 couples but greeted us all. She dampend the bad taste that V.I.P transportation left with us.

10  Thank Justmyopinion_10