“great location”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hotel is right on the beach and from our 4th floor partial ocean view room we were on the beach in less than a minute. The room was very clean and the fridge was very useful for storing the extra food we brought back from restaurants and for drinks. The room was spacious enough and the balcony was lovely to AIT out on in the morning just as the sun was rising. Towels for the pool or beach were available from the pool attendant, the pool was very refreshing and there always seemed to be loungers available, although some were 'reserved' with towels for several hours without the attendant removing them.

The concierge and reception staff were very friendly and helpful, the only ones to watch out for are the Wyndham resort staff disguised as the activity centre. We escaped being British as the likelihood of us buying a timeshare was pretty slim, but they were still quite forceful. Its not worth claiming your free gift, as you have to sit through a 2 hour presentation, just take the free map of Waikiki.

The shorebird restaurant is very pleasant for breakfast except for the pigeons, however the staff do try their best to shoo them away. Afternoon cocktails you have to check with the hostess before seating as the waitress will be quite rude to you if you just choose a table, its odd as during the night time happy hour you have a free reign of any seat! I think its because they do a sunset happy hour eating deal, so would rather people didn't hog the seats right onto the beach to watch sunset without eating. There are polite ways of saying so though. The id ea of charging everything to your room is great, but what they didn't tell us is that instead of cash, we had to carry ID to prove that it was our room, I bit frustrating at times.

There are several shops in the hotel, my favourite being the Christmas shop where we bought our souvenir tree decoration.

Overall, the hotel was of a high standard and staff very friendly and helpful. Its in a prime on the beach setting but doesn't come with the same premium as some of the others, mainly because its at one end of the strip. Easily walkable to all the shops and Waikiki beach walk. If we ever make it back to Waikiki we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view was great, for the amount of time we spent in our room it wouldn't have been...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank montonmrs
There are newer reviews for Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was at this hotel back in 2007 in September this hotel is in a great location, got an airport pick up for the hotel with VIP not a bad service it was great, if you are an ocean viewer you will pay a little more for the view, get yourself a map an a bus route it not that bad you get to see a lot of Hawaii by riding the bus , or if you like to walk like I do the shops are all up an down the street, the beach is clean an not that bad in the AM. Breakfast at Denny's was good just on the other side of the street. the rooms are clean an not that small I say just right, the service is great , the pool is deep at one end so if you have kids I hope they can swim if keep an eye on them.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank franksgogetter
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The Outrigger Reef (stayed there Nov. 2013) was really comfortable. The location is on the beach on a quiet back street, a block from main drag Kalakaua. It's conveniently located and the service is very good. Tara and Lizz at the Activities desk were helpful and fun to interact with while Dexter and Violet at the poolside Kani Ka Pila Grille took good care of us. The Outrigger Reef is highly recommended because in terms of hotel the atmosphere is easy, breezy just like The Aloha State itself.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ugmcdee
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My family and I recently took a trip to Hawaii and had an awesome time! Unfortunately, it did not start out being awesome due to our transfer service and the hotel. We scheduled our pick-up from the airport with VIP. They were very unprofessional. Upon arrival no one bothered to take our bags to place on the cart. Therefore we had to walk with our bags as we waited for the other passengers to arrive. Once all of the passengers arrived and we walked to the bus, they told my family and I that we needed to carry our bags onto the bus so that our bags wouldn’t get mixed up with the other passengers’ bags. Please note there were maybe 4 other families riding on this huge bus with us. Once we arrived to the hotel, the driver had to let us off on the street, because the bus couldn’t pull into the hotel. We had to take our luggage off of the bus and when we got mid-way someone met us with the rolling cart to take our luggage. One thing to consider is when you book your transportation you might want to reserve a mini van or use a car service to avoid being let off at the curb. I noticed using the bus; everyone will have to be let off at the curb, because the buses are too big to drive up to the front of the hotel. The Outrigger on the Beach is very basic. After reading all of the reviews for the hotel, I was a little disappointed. Although their website sited that the hotel recently went through a $100 million dollar renovation, I did not see it in the lobby décor or rooms. We stayed in the partial ocean view with a king size bed, and it wasn’t that big. The pool area is small. There is a tiny area marked off for 5 feet and then it drops down to 9 feet! Even the beach area marked off for the hotel was small. What made matters even worst, they had a time share desk set up right in the lobby. The trip concierge was useless. While I was booking my excursions, I felt that I was schooling her! One plus to staying at the Outrigger is that there is no hotel fee and Wi-Fi is free. Most hotels in Waikiki charge you a hotel fee, which includes Wi-Fi. Another plus was the Shore Bird Restaurant & Beach Bar. The restaurant offers a cool feature where you can grill your own dinner. Even if you don’t stay at the hotel, I think it is a fun thing to do while you are there. I wouldn’t bother having breakfast at the hotel because there is a Starbucks located inside of the Outrigger. The last plus is that the hotel has happy hour. Not all hotels offer happy hour, but you can find a bar or a restaurant within working distance that has it. I would not rate this hotel a 4.5 but a strong 3. If you are on a budget and you are looking for a clean place to lay your head, by all means stay there. But if you are looking at staying at a resort, don’t waste your time, because you will be disappointed. After staying two nights, we decided to transfer to the Royal Hawaiian!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank DReedNewJersey
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We didn't find this hotel exceptional it was average at best. We we're put on the 4th floor and paid for a partial ocean view which was a waste of money. Hotel is old and dingy and the shops are kitschy. Asked four times for a crib, arrived at 9pm NO CRIB how hard is it to put a crib in a room? I even emailed them the day of arrival.

Twice I was given wrong information at the activities desk, pool service non existent and the towels had holes in them. The location is great and the maids do a great job. Ocean house breakfast is very nice but Shorebirds breakfast isn't nice at all $15 for sub par food.

Pool is very deep and so cold! Not relaxing at all. The beach is rocky and chairs expensive.

Customer service is non existent. Definitely the worst I have experienced in the USA. Lots of people complained about the time share vultures. Really puts a damper on the holiday.

Good things would be the maid service, coffee machine, location and Starbucks on site.

I stayed at Waikiki Marina Resort last year which was cheaper and the service exceptional. If you like the area look at Waikiki Parc or the hotels around Outrigger Waikiki and Moana Surf-ridder. I won't be back or recommending this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sydney_Traveller81
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Our first stay was in 2008, this stay was even better!!! The hotel is in a perfect location, right on the beach. Check-in was a breeze, we brought my mom & sister along and we received complimentary upgrades for both rooms to ocean view. Really enjoyed sitting around the pool a couple of afternoons - special thanks to Mark for taking such good care of us. Both food and drink from the Kani Ka Pila Grille were very good and prices were reasonable. Also, thanks to Loni our housekeeper - she was amazing! Rooms are spacious, decorated nicely. Location again is great. Yardhouse (check out the happy hour specials for food & drink!!!), Roy's and Denny's are right across the street. PJ Chang's is about a block away. And the beach...the hotel sits right on Waikik, couldn't be better. Hope to visit again soon - maybe we'll get a break on parking next time, only complaint, $35 a day is expensive.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask for an upgrade, if they have the rooms available they are likely to accomm...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Joni15
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here for my husband's 40th birthday and thoroughly enjoyed our 10 nights at this hotel. Our ocean front room was spacious and comfortable, which was lovely considering there were 4 of us (we have 2 children aged 4 and 1). My husband and I particularly enjoyed sitting on the balcony each evening, listening to the live Hawaiian music, once our little people were asleep. The express elevator to the 10th floor in the Ocean Tower was a great perk.
The staff at the hotel could not be faulted and we particularly appreciated our housekeeper, Joanne L, coming to our room early each morning once she realised our daughter slept during the early afternoon. Thank you!
The whole hotel is very clean and I regularly saw staff vacuuming the halls to collect the sand.
The pool area was lovely although with the beach so close we preferred to swim/play there. The beach is quite rocky but we all had aqua shoes so didn't notice it. It is also an easy walk in either direction to less rocky areas.
We enjoyed breakfast most mornings at the Shorebird and loved eating so close to the beach. We also appreciated Starbucks in the foyer and Denny's just down the road.
The outrigger reef is in a great location, within easy walking of all of Waikiki. We also regularly walked to Ala Moana, with it being an easy 20 min walk.
We absolutely hope to stay at this beautiful, well maintained resort again. Mahalo!

Stayed: November 2013