“Great stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Outrigger Hotel. Located right on Waikiki Beach next to the Halekulani Hotel. We received fantastic service and the facilities were great including gym, spa, pool, restaurants, shops, pool side service and bars. With a safe and short walk to the Main Street 'Kalakaua Ave' we will be back!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jared-Daina
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Aloha and mahalo (thank you) for your kind words about the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Our success is measured by how you value our services and facilities and hope you give us another opportunity to welcome you back and to satisfy your expectations with our spirit of Aloha!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,474)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington, Illinois
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel was clean and in a great location. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We went for our honeymoon and they sent champagne to the room. There are cute little shops in the lobby of the hotel. And there are two big shopping centers across the street with a lot of places to eat and shop. There is also an ABC store near by - great to get snacks and anything else you could possibly want. Our room was nice and big. It overlooked the pool and I was worried about noise at night, but it was quiet. I was very impressed and I'm a light sleeper! The pool is nice, it's salt water. The area was kept clean and it was never super crowded. The beach is pretty small and rocky so that was disappointing but if you walk a little ways in either direction it gets bigger and better sand. We ate at all three restaurants and they were all very good. The Shorebird has cheap Happy Hour drinks, the Ocean House was good for a nice dinner (filet & mahi mahi were delicious) and the pool side restaurant has Happy Hour appetizers.
However HEED MY WARNING - do NOT sign up for the Wyndham "timeshare" no matter how good of deal the offer you on an activity. We got luau tickets for $12.50. We got sucked in and lost about 5 hours of our day. It was a disaster. Their desk is situated in the lobby do not make eye contact keep walking!! They also leave a card on your bed saying "turn this card into the Wyndham desk for a free gift". It's a map - don't fall for it!
We also rented a car from Enterprise - they are located in the lower level. Very convenient. Service is a little slow but they were friendly and helpful. Only one person working the desk.
Overall this hotel is great and I would stay here again and again.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor facing the pool. It was quiet and had a nice view - partial ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Guida S
OutriggerReefHotel, Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Aloha Guida,
Congratulations on your recent marriage and thank you for spending your honeymoon at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review of your stay with us. We loved reading about all of the things that you enjoyed about our facilities, staff and amenities and we are sure other Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your detailed review. We apologize for your disappointing Wyndham experience and we hope this will not distract you from your pleasant overall experience. We are delighted to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay and that you would stay here again. We hope you will return…we would love to be your host again. Mahalo and Aloha!
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I reserved 2 city view rooms for friends and 1 partial ocean view room for myself for May 20-24 before getting on the cruise ship. I am a travel agent and a couple of weeks prior to our stay I emailed the manager reminding them of our reservations which I had made in December and asked for any complimentary upgrades that might be available.
Upon our arrival we were given 2 city view rooms and a "free" upgrade to a partial ocean view. I reminded them I had reserved a partial ocean view but they insisted my room was booked as a city view also. They said my travel agent must have made a mistake. I told them I was the travel agent and I was sure I reserved a partial ocean view. After traveling for 24 hrs. I was in no mood to argue with them. However the next day I did produce the fax showing my reservation was indeed for a partial ocean view and asked for an upgrade to ocean view which was denied. Most importantly there was not even an apology for insisting I must be wrong and it must be my mistake. I know complimentary upgrades are not guaranteed but please don't insist I received one when I didn't.
The rooms were all nice and the hotel is on the quiet end of the beach. We did have their $7 breakfast a couple of mornings at the poolside grill and Starbucks is in the hotel. It is right across the street from the Embassy Suites where our tours all met so that was convenient. For lunch and dinners we often walked to the Outrigger Waikiki which was about a 20 minute walk to eat at Dukes or Hula Grill.
For my guests I was traveling with I had ordered Hawaiian cookies to be in their rooms when they arrived. They were not there so I inquired about that the second day and again was told they had no record of that. I showed them the email confirmation on my phone from Mar. 17 which they asked me to forward to them. A couple of days later they did arrive but again no apology for their mistake.
Waikiki Beach is a lovely area and there are many hotels from which to choose.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank bjbirds
OutriggerReefHotel, General Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Aloha,
It looks like we missed several opportunities – and I offer a sincere apology for that. We are committed to doing better in the future and we look forward to your next stay with us so we can properly share our appreciation with you.
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I stay here the last week in April. Everything about the hotel and the staff was great! We could not have asked for better service. Everyone went out of their way to help you. My wife doesn't like heights so they recommedned we take a city view on a lower floor. When they found out that even the balcony on the 3rd floor was a problem, they upgraded us to a 2nd floor room with a small patio by the pool. It was really nice at night sitting on the patio and listening to the live music playing pool side. The Outrigger Reef is very clean with nice size rooms. It is located at the lower end of Waikiki and only a half block from Beach Walk. Everything we wanted was within walking distance. The only complaint I would have is the beach. The sandy beach was nice but once in the water it was very rocky. It was even a problem with beach shoes, trying to be careful not to overturn you ankle. That's the only reason I gave it 4 out of 5 for location. The restaurants 2 by the beach and 1 by the pool are verygood. It was nice in the morning having breakfast by the ocean or pool and at night having diner watching the sun set. Over all we had a great stay for our 45th Wedding Anniversary.

Room Tip: Ocean Tower is closest to the beach. Pacific Tower is closer to the pool. If you want an Ocean Vi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank woodgrip
reeffommanager, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Aloha & Mahalo for your review. I am delighted to read that you folks enjoyed our hotel from the clean rooms, restaurants to the services we provided. Congratulations on your 45th wedding anniversary. We do hope you select the Outrigger Reef on the Beach again when you visit the islands.Mahalo!
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Had a fantastic stay. It may not be on the water, but it was only a very short walk. Hotel is right on the main drag. All your major restaurants and shopping are right our the front door or with a very short walk. Most attractions offer free transportation and stop right out front.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street can be a little loud if you wan the windows open...however, offer an awesome...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pd2div
reeffommanager, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Aloha & Mahalo for your review. The Outrigger Reef on the Beach is a beachfront hotel & reading your review you may be referring to a different property.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, and found it to be Very good, We got off an early flight an our room wasn't ready, they offered a special room for us to shower if we needed it. Room was very spacious and clean with a pretty good view. Close to pretty much everything that you need.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Aloha Lainey H.,
Thank you for your review of the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. We are glad that you found our location ideal and your room spacious, clean and with a good view. It is great to hear that you appreciated the use of our hospitality room to freshen up when you arrived early. We realize that many of our guests have early flights and when we are not able to accommodate you in your room early due to high occupancy, this is our way of helping our early arriving guests get an early start to their vacation. Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to know our efforts are recognized. We hope you can return soon. Aloha!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Our first trip to Hawaii it was everything we expect it. The staff where very friendly as well as the guest. The restaurant where great!! We meet alot of great people that we still keep in contact with.We plan to visit every two years. ALOHA

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Aloha Michelle,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach for your first trip to Hawaii. Wow, it is really special that you were able to meet new friends here that will forever be part of your ohana (family). We are delighted that we fulfilled your expectations and that you will be returning every two years. We will be honored to be your host again. A hui hou. (Until we meet again)