“Loved it, great location”

Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

First time at this hotel and loved it. Rooms were a good size, great view (west). Being on the edge of the Waikiki hotel strip it was a short walk to parks and still handy to e shops. I felt swimming and beach activities were better up near the other Outrigger (on the beach). We'll be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveller_dreamer
Write a ReviewReviews (6,025)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Firstly I would like to say that I am submitting this review because I did a LOT of research before taking my first trip to Oahu and I used Tripadvisor for a large part of that research. The information was very helpful and I hope my review will help others. I am a police officer with a large metropolitan police department in the mid-west. One of my biggest concerns was crime, as it is wherever I go, so I reached out to brother officers in Hawaii and their input proved VERY helpful too, so I would like to also pass that along.

Let me start off by saying that I have traveled a lot, mostly in the US, so I'm somewhat use to staying in hotels and being out of my element in another city. This was my wife's and my first trip to Hawaii. I had it down to either staying at the Outrigger Reef, or Turtle Bay Resort. I choose Outrigger because many of the things we wanted to do were around Waikiki and it proved to be a great decision. The Outrigger Reef is literally just inches from the beach. It's easy to get into and out of. From the moment we arrived the at the Outrigger Reef staff was simply wonderful! (I believe the lady who checked us in was named Aloha Alonni (sp?) and she was extremely pleasant and helpful.

I read where upon checking in many people complained someone from the Wyndham group would try to pressure them into looking at time-shares. We did NOT have that issue. I felt the check-in desk was far enough away that we weren't bothered.

We picked up a rental car from the airport (which I recommend) and when we arrived the employees took our luggage to our room while we checked in. Check in was easy, pleasant and quick. We had a “city-view room with a lani”, which we found to be perfect. It over looked the pool on the 5th floor and had two full-size beds (we would have preferred one king-size bed, but that wasn’t available when we booked the room). You could also see the ocean from our room, but I wouldn’t call it an “ocean-view”. I felt the room was updated, very clean and well decorated.

This hotel has two very nice restaurants on the first level and we ate at both during our stay. My preference was the Shore-Bird, but both had wonderful food, the help was very pleasant and though it wasn’t exactly cheap, the food was great, and the views were simply WONDERFUL!

We enjoyed the pool and the hot tubs. We felt they were well maintained. They hand out beach towels at the pool for use at the beach and the pool, which I felt was a wonderful service. The ONLY criticism the wife and I had during our ENTIRE experience at the Outrigger, was the pool closed a little too early, 9pm. We enjoyed staying out a little later and it would have been nice to be able to jump into the pool before heading to the room. But hey, I’m sure if they stayed open later, someone would complain about the noise.

There is a very nice bar next to the pool and each evening a local band would play. We enjoyed setting by the pool several nights during our stay.

As I said, we had a rental car. They valet park your car for $35.00/day. We were very pleased with the speed and ease of getting our car each time. I tipped them each time we got it out and brought it in, so I ended up spending some dough on parking, but really, it was worth it.

I read where many people recommended not getting a rental car. Well, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I like having the freedom to go where I want, when I want. One of the BIGGEST problems on Oahu, as in most large cities, is thefts from autos. The bottom line, DON’T be a “professional victim”. Use common sense. Do NOT leave ANYTHING in your car, ANYWHERE, EVER. When you park it, open the center console and the glove compartment and leave them open. Carry a backpack and take EVERYTHING with you, ALL of the time. Trust me here, I spoke to many police officers there and without sugar coating it, if you leave something in your car, it’s going to get stolen and you’re going to be replacing a window! Resist the temptation of leaving something behind. And don’t think that putting the items in the trunk will take care of the problem, it won’t. The thieves are said to be very well organized and know their business well. They target tourist spots and carefully watch people enter the lots and leave their cars. The officers tell me that the thieves know the license plate systems there and can tell a rental car a mile away. They also target Jeeps, Dodge Charges and Chrysler Sebrings because they are so easy to get into, so stay away from renting one of these models.

We were there for seven days. I used the hotel’s laundry room once and had no problems. This too is a nice service they offer.

This was probably the most wonderful thing the Outrigger could do for their guest………..Checkout time is noon but our flight didn’t leave until 1130pm, so we had a whole afternoon to play before going to the airport. The outrigger will hold all of your luggage in a secure room for you, then provide you with a room for thirty minutes to shower and change before heading home, free of charge! I must say it was so nice to be able to shower and change before our nine hour flight!

We had a list of many things and places we wanted to visit. We set aside two days just to drive completely around the island and see the many beaches and attractions. Again, when stopping at the roadside scenic locations, do NOT leave ANYTHING in your car.

We had a PERFECT vacation. In talking with the coppers there, they all agreed that when coming to Hawaii, one should get their feet wet on Oahu, then upon a return trip, they all recommended Kauai and then Maui. My wife and I agree that knowing what we know now, we wouldn’t have done anything differently. I am glad we stayed at the Outrigger Reef and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
19  Thank Gary F
OutriggerReefHotel, Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Aloha Gary,
Wow! What a detailed review of your stay at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach! We are sure that TripAdvisor readers will be thankful for your detailed summary of your stay with us as well as your comments and advise. We appreciate that you noticed the little things that we offer to make us distinctive from other hotels. Our ideal oceanfront location on Waikiki beach, our friendly and helpful staff (especially Alohalani), our updated and clean rooms, our wonderful restaurants, our well maintained pool, our convenient and efficient valet service, our nightly Hawaiian entertainment, our laundry facility and our hospitality rooms for early arrivals and late departures are all the things that you mentioned that we offer for your comfort and enjoyment so we are so thrilled that you appreciated them. By the way, you are correct; a main reason why we close the pool at 9pm is that the noise travels to the guestrooms and can sometimes be very annoying to guests trying to wind down for the evening. Thank you for understanding. We are so glad that you chose to stay with us and we thank you for your review to recommend us to others. We hope you will be able to return again. Mahalo and Aloha!

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

This may not be one of the biggest resorts in town, but maybe that's why it was good.
Don't get me wrong, this place has a lot of rooms, but somehow it didn't feel busy. No issues getting a seat at the pool and plenty of room to walk around
The staff were all very friendly and willing to help with anything
Rooms were a little small, however they were clean and everything worked. We had a pool view room on the third floor. If you're not that interested in the view grab a lower floor room, it's easier to get in and out of the building elevators without having to wait.
Good access to the beach and very close to everything in town.
A good selection of eateries downstairs. My only criticism being that the restaurants are not that organised. Front of house training is needed.
I felt this was a good resort for families.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank MASK_3551
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Aloha and mahalo (thank you) for your very kind review of our hotel, the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Your insight and suggestions are greatly appreciated. We hope your stay was excellent, and that you were fully able to experience our genuine Hawaiian hospitality. Please consider us when you return to our shores once again! A hui hou (until we meet again).

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Outrigger Hotel. Located right on Waikiki Beach next to the Halekulani Hotel. We received fantastic service and the facilities were great including gym, spa, pool, restaurants, shops, pool side service and bars. With a safe and short walk to the Main Street 'Kalakaua Ave' we will be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jared-Daina
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Aloha and mahalo (thank you) for your kind words about the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Our success is measured by how you value our services and facilities and hope you give us another opportunity to welcome you back and to satisfy your expectations with our spirit of Aloha!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel was clean and in a great location. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We went for our honeymoon and they sent champagne to the room. There are cute little shops in the lobby of the hotel. And there are two big shopping centers across the street with a lot of places to eat and shop. There is also an ABC store near by - great to get snacks and anything else you could possibly want. Our room was nice and big. It overlooked the pool and I was worried about noise at night, but it was quiet. I was very impressed and I'm a light sleeper! The pool is nice, it's salt water. The area was kept clean and it was never super crowded. The beach is pretty small and rocky so that was disappointing but if you walk a little ways in either direction it gets bigger and better sand. We ate at all three restaurants and they were all very good. The Shorebird has cheap Happy Hour drinks, the Ocean House was good for a nice dinner (filet & mahi mahi were delicious) and the pool side restaurant has Happy Hour appetizers.
However HEED MY WARNING - do NOT sign up for the Wyndham "timeshare" no matter how good of deal the offer you on an activity. We got luau tickets for $12.50. We got sucked in and lost about 5 hours of our day. It was a disaster. Their desk is situated in the lobby do not make eye contact keep walking!! They also leave a card on your bed saying "turn this card into the Wyndham desk for a free gift". It's a map - don't fall for it!
We also rented a car from Enterprise - they are located in the lower level. Very convenient. Service is a little slow but they were friendly and helpful. Only one person working the desk.
Overall this hotel is great and I would stay here again and again.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor facing the pool. It was quiet and had a nice view - partial ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Guida S
OutriggerReefHotel, Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Aloha Guida,
Congratulations on your recent marriage and thank you for spending your honeymoon at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review of your stay with us. We loved reading about all of the things that you enjoyed about our facilities, staff and amenities and we are sure other Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your detailed review. We apologize for your disappointing Wyndham experience and we hope this will not distract you from your pleasant overall experience. We are delighted to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay and that you would stay here again. We hope you will return…we would love to be your host again. Mahalo and Aloha!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I reserved 2 city view rooms for friends and 1 partial ocean view room for myself for May 20-24 before getting on the cruise ship. I am a travel agent and a couple of weeks prior to our stay I emailed the manager reminding them of our reservations which I had made in December and asked for any complimentary upgrades that might be available.
Upon our arrival we were given 2 city view rooms and a "free" upgrade to a partial ocean view. I reminded them I had reserved a partial ocean view but they insisted my room was booked as a city view also. They said my travel agent must have made a mistake. I told them I was the travel agent and I was sure I reserved a partial ocean view. After traveling for 24 hrs. I was in no mood to argue with them. However the next day I did produce the fax showing my reservation was indeed for a partial ocean view and asked for an upgrade to ocean view which was denied. Most importantly there was not even an apology for insisting I must be wrong and it must be my mistake. I know complimentary upgrades are not guaranteed but please don't insist I received one when I didn't.
The rooms were all nice and the hotel is on the quiet end of the beach. We did have their $7 breakfast a couple of mornings at the poolside grill and Starbucks is in the hotel. It is right across the street from the Embassy Suites where our tours all met so that was convenient. For lunch and dinners we often walked to the Outrigger Waikiki which was about a 20 minute walk to eat at Dukes or Hula Grill.
For my guests I was traveling with I had ordered Hawaiian cookies to be in their rooms when they arrived. They were not there so I inquired about that the second day and again was told they had no record of that. I showed them the email confirmation on my phone from Mar. 17 which they asked me to forward to them. A couple of days later they did arrive but again no apology for their mistake.
Waikiki Beach is a lovely area and there are many hotels from which to choose.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank bjbirds
OutriggerReefHotel, General Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Aloha,
It looks like we missed several opportunities – and I offer a sincere apology for that. We are committed to doing better in the future and we look forward to your next stay with us so we can properly share our appreciation with you.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I stay here the last week in April. Everything about the hotel and the staff was great! We could not have asked for better service. Everyone went out of their way to help you. My wife doesn't like heights so they recommedned we take a city view on a lower floor. When they found out that even the balcony on the 3rd floor was a problem, they upgraded us to a 2nd floor room with a small patio by the pool. It was really nice at night sitting on the patio and listening to the live music playing pool side. The Outrigger Reef is very clean with nice size rooms. It is located at the lower end of Waikiki and only a half block from Beach Walk. Everything we wanted was within walking distance. The only complaint I would have is the beach. The sandy beach was nice but once in the water it was very rocky. It was even a problem with beach shoes, trying to be careful not to overturn you ankle. That's the only reason I gave it 4 out of 5 for location. The restaurants 2 by the beach and 1 by the pool are verygood. It was nice in the morning having breakfast by the ocean or pool and at night having diner watching the sun set. Over all we had a great stay for our 45th Wedding Anniversary.

Room Tip: Ocean Tower is closest to the beach. Pacific Tower is closer to the pool. If you want an Ocean Vi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank woodgrip
reeffommanager, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Aloha & Mahalo for your review. I am delighted to read that you folks enjoyed our hotel from the clean rooms, restaurants to the services we provided. Congratulations on your 45th wedding anniversary. We do hope you select the Outrigger Reef on the Beach again when you visit the islands.Mahalo!