“Lovely resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely resort”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Great location right on the beach. Rooms are large enough, just tricky when you have 2 teenage kids sharing the same room as you and a double bed. (Two double beds next to each other), however it seems most of America only offers double beds and not 1 Queen bed and 2 singles.
We ate at the resort resturant each night and the meals were nice. The pool area and lobby are lovely.
The staff were very helpful and the room clean. Would stay here again, but maybe look at getting 2 seperate rooms so the kids don't have to share 1 bed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your large room accommodations and enjoyed the location of the hotel on the beachfront in Waikiki. We appreciate your positive feedback on our helpful staff as our staff’s goals are to enhance our guest’s experiences here at the Reef.

We hope that you provide us another opportunity to serve you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,479)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mequon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed in Kailua Kona for 7 days and then hopped over to Outrigger Reef on the Beach in Waikiki for 3 days to just relax. And we did just that. Outrigger is directly on Waikiki beach and was fantastic. The entrance is gorgeous right into the pool and walking through the lobby right to the beach. We had an Ocean View room, watched fireworks on Fireworks Friday and enjoyed ourselves. We fell asleep many times at the pool and walked up and down the beach throughout our stay. We ran into some turtles (boy are they huge). The staff at Outrigger were very helpful and accommodating. Since our checkout time (noon) did not coincide with our departure flight, Outrigger allowed us to use one of their hospitality suites to shower and clean up. This was a fantastic way to end our Hawaiian trip. Nice touch. The hotel is beautiful, clean and the food was great at Kani Ka Pila...I did not get to eat at the other in hotel restaurants - Shore Bird or Ocean House. We met up with some friends and ate outside on other occasions.

Room Tip: The Pacific Tower was awesome especially facing the ocean.
1 Thank Glen B
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to conclude Hawaiian Vacation with us at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room accommodations and enjoyed the location of the hotel on the beachfront in Waikiki. We appreciate your positive feedback on our helpful and accommodating staff as our staff’s goals are to enhance our guest’s experiences here at the Reef.

We hope that you provide us another opportunity to serve you again!
Toronto
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just returned from an 11 night stay at Outrigger Reef on the beach. I am so glad we decided to stay at this hotel over some of the others a bit further down the beach. Outrigger Reef is clean and staff are very friendly and helpful. We walked through the other Outrigger down the beach, and we were glad we decided to stay at this one...the Reef property is nicer, hotel is nicer, pool area is far superior, and just an overall feeling of calm and relaxation here.

Beach area in front of Outrigger Reef is small and congested with chair rentals, however, if you walk about 1-2 minutes one way on the beach, or 5 minutes the other way and you end up at great beach spots. We alternated each day and it was great. Awesome views of Diamond Head from the beach in front of Outrigger.

Pros:
-no resort fees!
-free wifi (signal strength varies throughout property, but strong in room & lobby, a bit weak by pool)
-clean property & rooms
-bed is quite comfortable, considering it is a hotel bed
-staff super friendly and helpful
-hotel is busy, but still is quiet and calm at the same time
-located right on the beach
-pool area is clean, ample chairs throughout the day in both sun and shade (unlike other vacation resorts where chairs are all reserved before 7am)
-pool water was the perfect temperature
-steps from Kalakaua Ave & restaurants
-steps from bus stops
-mini fridge in room

Negatives:
-wifi signal weak by the pool
-beach area is small (walk 2 minutes towards Fort Derussy for an awesome beach or walk 5 minutes towards Royal Hawaiian for busier beach).

I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone considering staying in Waikiki Beach. It is affordable and there are no resort fees...this alone can save you a couple hundred dollars! To the people who comment about the Wyndham Activities people - if you do not approach them, they do not bug you at all! They are at a desk, they do not wander throughout the property the way others make it sound like.

Thanks Outrigger Reef for a fantastic first experience in Hawaii!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank blu_eyes00
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your clean & comfortable rooms and the location of the hotel on the beachfront near all the popular shops and restaurants. In addition, we appreciate your positive feedback on our friendly and helpful staff as our staff’s goals are to enhance our guest’s experiences here at the Reef.

We look forward welcoming you back real soon!
New Jersey
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach for 5 nights and had a wonderful time. Our room was on the 14th floor and we had a garden/ partial ocean view that was wonderful. Our room was very comfortable and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful.We ate dinner at the Shore Bird the first night and the salad bar was great. My husband and son grilled their dinner on the outdoor grill. The view of Diamond Head was great. We ate breakfast each morning by the pool bar and they had excellent specials for $7. Our hotel was convenient to all of Waikiki and we walked down the beach each day to a different spot. On Friday morning we participated in a wedding vow renewal ceremony on the beach which was complimentary. We had a lovely ceremony for our 22nd anniversary and the best part was our kids 18 and 14 were there. The photographer took many nice photos of us and the family. We ended up purchasing one large photo for $39. We were very happy with out stay and would go back again.

4 Thank NewJerseySharon123
OutriggerReefHotel, Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Aloha NewJerseySharon123,
We are happy that you had an excellent stay at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach with your family. Thank you for sharing that you enjoyed our location on Waikiki beach and your clean and comfortable room with a wonderful view. It looks like you were able to experience many of the great things about staying here, such as our great dining facilities like Shorebird and Kani Ka Pila Grille and especially our vow renewal which is complementary and exclusive for our guests. We are so glad that you able to celebrate your 22nd anniversary with your family here with us. We hope your photo brings you many special memories and we hope we will see you back again soon. A hui hou (until we meet again)
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary during the 1st week of July and stayed at the Outrigger Reef Hotel.
We were assigned a lovely room on the 9th floor with a partial ocean view! The room was perfectly furnished and the small refrig came in very handy for drinks and morning snacks, (i.e. fruits, veggies, etc.).
Every member of the staff we had interaction with (from the front desk to the cleaning staff), were warm and expressed the true "ALOHA" spirit!!!
During our stay, my wife happened to learn of a complimentary Hawaiian Vow Renewal Ceremony on the beach outside the Outrigger Reef Hotel, so we inquired with the front desk and was able to get the last reservation opening on Friday (7/4/14) morning. The ceremony was OUTSTANDING!!! All attendees were provided fresh flower lei's and the photographer from Nature's Touch Photography (in the lower level of the hotel) did an outstanding job taking a variety of photo's of each couple (with their family members in attendance).
The entire renewal ceremony event went on without a hitch and the lovely "Hawaiian Officiate" provided an unforgettable renewal ceremony, including an in-depth explanation on true Hawaiian meaning of "ALOHA" and how it pertained to those of us renewing our wedding vows! She was so professional as were the Hula dancer and ukulele player!!! We were very pleased with the overall experience and highly recommend it to any couple wanting a special (personal) experience on the beach while in Hawaii...!
During our stay, we ate at all of the hotel restaurants and were pleased with the menu selection and found the food to be excellent. Drinks at the bar(s) were slightly over-priced, but were tasty and beautifully prepared.
On the last day of our stay, we inquired about a late check-out (our flight back to the mainland didn't depart until 10 PM), and was told our room was booked already and we had to vacate the room by 12 noon. The front desk attendant suggested we leave our bags with the bell staff for the day, which we did. The bell staffer we left our bags with offered a courtesy room for later in the day so we could freshen-up if we needed... I thought that was an excellent service to their hotel guest's!
Following a full day of activities, we returned to the hotel to retrieve our luggage and drive to the airport in our rental car. Upon arriving at the hotel, the bell staff greeted us with smiles and brought our luggage to the rental car, packed them in and wished us a safe flight back to the mainland and asked us to come back to the islands again soon! Wow, what great "ALOHA" service the Outrigger Reef provided us!!! We will be sure to keep them on the top of our list as a place to stay for future trips to Oahu...
Our entire experience at the Outrigger Reef Hotel was exceptional and thoroughly enjoyable!!! :)

Chris & Marlene Carty

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chris C
Aloha Chris Carty & Mahalo for a wonderful review! It is always great to respond to positive feedback, & I was extremely delighted to read that you enjoyed the views from your 9th floor Partial Ocean view room. I am so glad to know that you found our staff to have that "ALOHA" spirit & I will definetely share your comments with the entire team. I am also glad to know you had a chance to experience our Cultural Activities. Congratulations again on your 31st wedding anniversary!
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I don't like writing mile-long reviews but the Outrigger Reef has so many things to mention it's going to be hard! First let me say that we only stayed for 2 nights but I could easily have stayed another week or more. Our room was "ocean view" and that means that if you go out on the balcony (9th floor) you can get a view of the beach and waves. That was actually really nice but if you want to save a few (quite a few) bucks you might want to just take the standard view because either way you're mostly looking at another hotel tower. ;) Not complaining! Just telling it like it is for those who might think they're going to wake up and stare at the ocean from their bed.
So...we were traveling for our 25th wedding anniversary and found out about the Outrigger's complimentary vow renewal ceremony. I had watched it on YouTube so that I would know what to expect and yet it was so much more intimate and special than it seemed in the vid. Maybe it's your frame of mind. It was funny because there were about 8 couples and they were all Japanese except for us. It seemed from the comments of the coordinator that that was unusual. The vows went a little bit more slowly because not only were they in Hawaiian but even the English was spoken slowly. ;) It's done early in the morning (7:45)...before the beach fills up...and was really special. I didn't get the name of the officiant or the hula dancer and ukulele player but they were all fantastic. The coordinator of the hotel events, Kahoaka, is WONDERFUL. He is friendly, helpful, attentive and deserves to be recognized for his outstanding service...he got one of my 5-star TripAdvisor pins.
My other pin went to Boyana of Nature's Touch Photography. WOW...what can I say. I wanted extra photos of our renewal and we arranged a short session with her before the ceremony. I can be a little high-strung and had to keep reminding myself that we were on Hawaiian time...once I relaxed I realized that we had PLENTY of time. Our photos are amazing. Diamond Head right behind us...the ocean...the perfect backdrop. Boyana takes photos of every couple during the ceremony as well and then offers some very affordable packages. She will show you your photos in a slide-show format within 2 hours of the ceremony and then burn them straight to a disk if you want to buy some (ALL!) of them. She also offers retouched prints and canvases that will be sent home to you within a week or 2. I actually had my own flash drive with me and she put all of the photos on it and off I went with about 60 gorgeous photos.
I would also like to mention Gina at the front desk. On our 2nd night we arrived in our room to find a lovely Hawaiian gift "bag" (woven grass) filled with goodies for our anniversary. What a lovely surprise.
There are fun activities...different each day...offered by the Reef. Lei making, hula, ukulele lessons, and more. Fun stuff to do all day.
If I am forced to say anything negative it would be that their WiFi was down the whole time we were there. It wasn't until my last night that I realized there was an ethernet cable in the wall under the desk and I was able to connect and share some of my photos. Really a minor issue overall. Some people might welcome the lack of WiFi! haha.
I would not hesitate to stay at the Outrigger Reef again...actually...I would love to!! Mahalo!!

Room Tip: "Ocean View" doesn't mean that you will see the ocean from the room. It means that if...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ClawMarks
OutriggerReefHotel, Front Office Manager at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your 25th Wedding Anniversary with us at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your ocean view room accommodations and were able to participate in our Complimentary Vow Renewal Ceremony! We appreciate all your in depth positive feedback on our friendly staff as our staff’s goals are to enhance our guest’s experiences here at the Reef.

We hope that you provide us another opportunity to serve you again on your next Anniversary!
North Shore City
Reviewed 13 July 2014

we had 2 rooms and stayed for 11 nights. Had an ocean view room 808 & had another 606 which also had a good view of the ocean which was a bonus. Had no real complaints, pool was warm and great for my kids, was always chairs available at the pool. Beds comfortable, room quiet, staff friendly & helpful. On site restaurants not owned or controlled by Outrigger and service , training / honesty an issue -check out my restaurant view for both Ocean View and Shorebird of particular interest to Celiac / Gluten intolerant diners. Would recommend Outrigger Reef to family's as gives you a resort feel, not as busy or hectic as other hotels and perfect location.

2 Thank nurdsens
Aloha Nurdsens & Mahalo for your kind review! Thank you for giving us a try! I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed the view from your rooms & that you found the beds comfortable, the pool great for kids, & most of all the staff friendly & helpful. I will share your positive review with the entire staff. Mahalo.