“I’d rather sleep on plastic airport chairs.”

Pacific Marina Inn Airport
Ranked #81 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“I’d rather sleep on plastic airport chairs.”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

What an overpriced dive. We arrived in Honolulu at 9.30pm and was departing at 8.30am so I wanted a place close to the airport. There are way cheaper options in town but I figures it would still cost around $150 by the time you pay for shuttles or taxis.

I didn’t expect to be in luxury accommodation but when paying $150 a night for this place I expected something ok.

This place is not ok. Cramped room, dark and dungy. Very tired, peeling paint and wallpaper. The bathroom is unpleasant, cleanliness was average. I would have been ok with this had I paid $60-$80. But at the prices these guys charge, customers deserve better.

I feel ripped off.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank natsnaps

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
USA
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This hotel was very close to the airport and the shuttle driver was very nice. He picked us up after we took our rental car back and then the next morning took us to the airport. The hotel is older, but the room we stayed in had 3 beds, perfect for 3 adults. It was clean, just wore out. My sister and I went down to the vending machine and had a creepy man watching us. Kind of looked like a transient. If you need a place to stay close to the airport that doesn't cost you over $200.00 then this place is okay. The courtyard and swimming pool looked nice, we did not use it. Just like other viewers said, the lounge was crowded and loud with some sort of bingo charity game going on, but that didn't bother us. Did not use their restaurant so I cannot comment on that.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gramstraveler
Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I read some of the reviews and should have paid attention to them. If you need a decent place to stay overnight while waiting for a flight - go over to the Airport Hotel or the Plaza. This place here is only a little bit cheaper, in an industrial area and has some real strange folks hanging around. The nearest store is a gas station a block away. Rooms are tiny and noisy. Front desk was curt and short with me. The breakfast was coffee and stale rolls.

I did not feel comfortable here at all so I canceled my second night and went over to the Airport Hotel (formerly Ohana). When I asked to cancel, some guy in the back said I had to call central reservations since I'd made mine on-line - so I asked them to call the number for me so I could cancel - geez.

Too creepy for me - never again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is the place to stay if you just want somewhere not too expensive close to the airport.
The pluses are that there is a direct call phone from the baggage area at the airport and 10 minutes later they pick you up for free and take you back to the airport every 30 minutes on the hour and 1/2 hour.
The staff were very helpful and everything was OK.
The rooms are very small the really are just for overnight and the area around the hotel is industrial and a bit rough. There is a licensed shop / petrol station 2 minutes walk away and they have a restaurant but it was closed when I was there.
I would stay there again for an overnight stop unless you have not been to Honolulu then you should stay in town and have a look around it would not be worth the taxi fares to stay here and go to / back to town.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor if you can so you don't have to use steps up to the upper levels
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I missed the last flight out of Honolulu and had to find a hotel room in a pinch. Two other hotels were sold out so it was either this hotel or a bench at the airport. I didn't know what to expect because I didn't have a functioning phone to check reviews online. They made it really easy to arrange a pickup late at night. I arrived at the hotel in a few minutes and the driver and staff were friendly and efficient. It was a Friday night so there was loud music at their lounge and very mixed crowd hanging out around hotel property. The room has minimal amenities and is relatively clean. The decor and condition however made things feel dirtier than it looks. I was a little surprised upon taking a quick shower to find a woman's underwear hanging on the shower curtain rod. This hotel is an acceptable choice if you need one during a layover and want easy access to the airport. The shuttle runs every half hour and is very efficient.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I arrived on Oahu too late to catch the last flight to Maui so stayed at this hotel which is close to the airport. I did not know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. The staff were courteous, I was picked up in a yellow van, the room was clean and furnished appropriately. There is a large pool in a courtyard and plenty of large umbrellas. The surroundings are very commercial so not a sight-seeing spot but very adequate for a short stay.

Room Tip: The rooms all face the courtyard, there is a/c but also window slats. Slept well so no complaints.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Vancouver Island
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The shuttle pick up and drop off was very good and only 5 minutes away from the airport. Staff were very good and the small pool seemed clean and useful. However, the hotel is in an industrial area and if you want any breakfast before 9 you have to take a city bus many blocks to the nearest restaraunt.. On site restaraunt closed at 8.30 pm.

The rooms and AC were quite poor. At the airport it said something like recently renovated ??? Long time ago. I think. No fridge or microwave in room..

I stayed two nights. Would have been a bit happier if the price has been half of what I paid.