“DONT STAY IN THE TERRACE”
Review of Pagoda Hotel

Pagoda Hotel
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Linkoping, Sweden
“DONT STAY IN THE TERRACE”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

First we chose to stay in the terrace because it was a big room and had a kitchen. In the pictures it looked okay. When we got there we saw what a nightmare it was. The room looked ugly as hell and the puke looking green carpets were dirty and ugly. In the kitchen there was ants and cockroaches and in the bathroom the wall was a little teared. After 2 days staying there we complained in the lobby and they gave us a different room in the terrace. This room wasn't too much different than the other only that it smelled pee. So we went and complained again and they gave us a room on the main tower. This room was actually pretty decent. Only that it was smaller and didn't have a kitchen. There was a small fridge and a microwave though. This room was much fresher and we didn't have any problems so we stayed here. Pagoda can be a decent stay if you don't stay in the terrace. The location is pretty good and the service is decent. Walmart, Sams Club and Ross are across the street. Ala Moana Center (mall) is only a couple of blocks away. I could give this review a 3 star if there was free Wi-Fi and free breakfast but they cost money. So the Terrace give a 0 star and the main tower I give 2 star.

Room Tip: The Terrace is terrible so don't stay there. If you're staying at Pagoda then choose the mai...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Aloha Omor A,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry to hear your concerns that you outlined about our Terrace building. Please know that we are currently renovating all the units there, though we will be losing these rooms by August 2014. I am happy that you liked your room in the Tower much better. Though we would love to include free breakfast and wifi, as a lite hotel, we try to be a great value to guests without charging mandatory resort fees, instead opting for 'a la carte' amenities. All of us here hope to have you as a guest again in the future so that you can see our improvements first-hand and hopefully capture a few more stars.
Mahalo,
Paul Dun - Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

When we first arrived we booked in then we were told to go out the door turn right go across the road and go in the locked gate oh yeah no one bothered to help with our suit cases. Then we got to our room shock horror couldn't close windows and the wind and rain blew in. It was supposed to be The Pagoda Terrace what a lot of crap. You should up grade your profile and show what the hotel is really like. The profile we saw was nothing like what we got. Oh and l nearly forget when people cook in their rooms it stinks the whole floor out.

Room Tip: good luck don't go there
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heather D
Aloha heather D,
Mahalo for taking the time to post your review. I apologize that you were shocked by our property and did not enjoy your time with us. Though the kitchenettes we provide are for the convenience of families, I agree that sometimes the aromas from people cooking can be a lot. Unfortunately, we do not have a Bell Department and the gates at the Terrace are locked for security purposes (only accessible by room key.) Despite the Hotel, I hope that the rest of your stay in Hawai'i was a pleasant one.
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,
Paul Dun - Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We bought this through Expedia as it was described as close to airport. It's not. It's about 40 bucks by cab. Although the rate is not expensive there is no excuse for a smelly room with body hair on the sheets. There are better places to stay that are a lot closer to the airport.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Aloha T0nyL,
Thank you for your review. I am concerned to hear that your room was smell and had hair in it and I apologize. Our Housekeeping staff has been made aware of your review and stricter inspection of the rooms is in order. I will also check the wording on expedia's website regarding our property being close to the airport. Though there are 3 hotels I can think of closer, we do not advertise ourselves as an airport hotel. I do hope that you will give the Pagoda another chance during your next stay in Hawai'i.
Mahalo,
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because of the low cost but were pleasantly surprised how nice it was.

Very close to public transit, Wal Mart across the street, restaurant on site and about 10 restaurants less than a block away.

My only complaint is there is no jazzui.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mikerbrant
Aloha mikerbrant,
Mahalo for the concise review! I am pleased that you were surprised with your recent stay. We do strive to be an affordable option in the heart of Honolulu, away from the hustle and bustle of Waikīkī. All of us here at the Pagoda hope to see you again in the near future!
Me Ka Hau'oli,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

The AC unit in the room is extremely loud and there's a faint smell of cigs even though the room is non-smoking. The place is older and it shows in the rooms, however it was one of the cheapest hotels in the area so understandable. Staff at the front desk was very nice and helped me book shuttles to/from the airport.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Aloha Andrew K,
Thank you for writing a review! I apologize for the loud a/c and the smell of smoke. I am not sure of where your room was located, but our Tower is completely non-smoking. Thank you for recognizing our friendly staff and I hope that you will afford us another opportunity in the future to make your next stay with us exceptionally better than this previous one.
A Hui, Hou,
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Although the Terrace is undergoing renovations and will no longer be part of the hotel effective March 2014, I am both happy and sad -- happy for renovations and possibility of my owning a unit there, and sad that I won't be able to stay in the Terrace in the future as I enjoy the convenience and affordability. Then, again, happy and looking forward to staying in the hotel tower as it has been highly recommended to me. It was great, so convenient, friendly and quick service, rooms were clean, and I had everything at my fingertips that I could possibly want while traveling and meeting with family!

Room Tip: Rooms accessed through Ewa elevator, toward the end, like 321, are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Aloha keani1024,
Thank you for the review! I am glad that we were a convenient choice for you when returning home. I am thankful that you are a long-time guest that has returned to see the improvements we are making. Until the next time...
Mahalo Nui,
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I am a senior kamaaina and like to go off island and visit Honolulu "The Big City" for three days every year. I am able to do that because of the "Lite" rates the Aqua group offers at the Pagoda Hotel. I take an early a.m. interisland flight for the first night and a late departure for the second night which gives me three full days to sightsee, shop, dine (my favorite place for dim sum, The Royal Garden, in the Ala Moana Hotel is actually walking distance). Next time I will not go to the expense of a rental car because of the hotel's proximity to public transportation, shuttle, trolley and taxi...avoiding car rental rates and $10 and up daily parking rates. Ala Moana Beach Park and Ala Moana shopping mall are all walking distance. I am comfortable in the least expensive of rooms. The rooms and furnishing are a little older but very clean. Microwave, coffee maker, small refrigerator and a window air-conditioner are in place and all worked very nicely. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. I was pleased for the security now in place with room and elevator access cards as well as uniformed security at the doors and in the parking lot immediate to the hotel entrance. Pagoda Restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and, of course, the Food Court at the Ala Moana shopping center holds about 30 food concessions to meet every taste from A to Z.

Room Tip: If you are on a strict budget ask for the lowest rate and use AAA, AARP or kamaaina identification t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank bjbert2
Aloha bjbert2,
Mahalo nui for taking the time to post your thoughts! I appreciate that you found our property to be older but very clean and with a great proximity to everything. We truly value our seniors and kamaʻāina and are proud to be a local favorite for the past 50 years. I do hope to meet you and welcome you as a guest of the Pagoda very soon!
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,