“FIVE STAR CUSTOMER SERVICE!”
Review of Pagoda Hotel

Pagoda Hotel
Ranked #71 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The staff at The Pagoda Hotel and also The Pagoda Restaurant provided me with excellent customer attention! What a breath of fresh local air in the midst of the changing city. Carlos and the rest of the staff at the front desk ensured my trip went perfect, thank you! If your looking to book a five star hotel, I'd recommend calling elsewhere; but if your looking to book with five star customer service, THIS IS IT! Trustworthy housekeepers, hard working maintenance crew, genuinely concerned staff, friendly food servers, add up to FIVE STAR CUSTOMER SERVICE! Mahalo no ka kokua O Honolulu!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Cynthia P
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Aloha Cynthia P,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property and especially for the kind words about our service!! Though we are a LITE hotel, we believe that we can still provide excellent care and service for our guests. We look forward to having you return in the very near future.
Me Ka Hau'oli,

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at the Pagoda for two nights. I have nothing to complain about (although I did read the bad reviews before I travelled). I would not say this was the best hotel in town, but I do think the room I got was nice and cosy, but for me it was just a place to sleep and relax, after a long day exploring Honolulu, Waikiki and the island of Oahu.. The hotel is located in a residential area, but close to the shopping centers (a 10 minute walk to Ala Moana Center). If you like walking it would take about 20 minutes to reach Waikiki beach.

Room Tip: If you are an international traveller, do take note that most hotels in Hawaii (and in the U.S., I g...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Danny-Yatim
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Aloha Danny-Yatim,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about the Pagoda! I am happy that you found your room to be cosy and that you wrote about our unique location. Thankfully, we have been very busy, but we do try to accommodate early arrivals when we can (usually a $35 early check-in fee applies). All of us here at the Pagoda hope to see you in our neck of the woods very soon.
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Druggies and homeless harassing me all the time. I will NEVER stay here again. The hotel also waited 6 months to notify me there was a problem with my bill. Actually that is incorrect. I wasn't notified. They just charged me 2k 6 months later. Total crooks. I recommend this place to no one. None of the local attraction shuttles will do business with this place and that should be a good indicator as to what type of establishment you are considering....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CJ Y

Aloha CJ Y,
Mahalo for posting a review. I apologize that we were not able to contact you for payment of the room. We were unable to contact you because the information provided by the person who booked your reservation was not your own. I do hope that you give us another chance in the future and invite you to contact me directly if you have any questions, or so that I can take care of your next stay with us personally.
Mahalo,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very disappointed. My room wasn't very clean. The rooms could use a face lift. Parking was not very convenient (although parking is cheap). No internet access. A lot of street noise. I guess next time I will pay a bit more.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Betti L
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Aloha Betti L,
Thank you for your review! We are renovating the rooms in the Terrace and in the Tower we are putting in next-to-new furniture in all of the rooms. We are also planning bathroom renovations and an overhaul of the lobby by the end of the year. Though we have wired internet in all rooms, we are soon going to be installing wifi in the Tower. I do hope you give us another chance in the near future.
A Hui Hou,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel was nothing like what the Web-site shows unless you are on the tope floor 10,11,and Penthouse floor. First of all when we got to the airport we were told the the hotel does not have a shuttle bus so we had to pay $ 35.00 per person and it was 4 of us to get to the hotel. Then when we get their we had to give them another $50.00 deductable for our room inspite of paying for everything six month in advance. when we finally got to our room on the 5th floor I was stun to see the room in the shape that it was in. It was the worse hotel room that I ever seen in my life, let me put this way. I would not let my worse enemy stay at this hotel. When we complained to the Manger Paul, he was very apolegetic and accomodated us generously. After we left the hotel we came itching from what I believe to be bed lice. The moral to this review is stick to what you know even if it cost you a little bit more.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Aloha Gloria J,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. I hope you were able to enjoy some of your honeymoon here in Hawai'i. I wish you and your husband great joy in the future. I do hope you consider trying us out again if you return. I know you have my card, so give me a call if you do.
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

A group of us stayed at the Pagoda a couple of weeks ago for a total of 12 nights. I understand getting what you pay for but I couldn't believe the amount of problems we experienced while staying here. Most of the rooms had cockroaches in them; in ours specifically we not only had them in the bathroom, but also all over the kitchen. There were hundreds of tiny ants covering the kitchenette counter and crawling into the microwave vents. The water for the showers was always fluctuating from scalding to freezing and some of our rooms wouldn't have sufficient pressure coming from the shower heads in order to properly rinse out your hair. Room service would sometimes skip over our room unless we called around 5pm to ask for our towels to be replaced. Room service and security do not knock prior to entering, they simply use their keys and enter the room.
The Pagoda is currently undergoing some construction as they plan to turn their towers into condominiums. A letter was left in each of our rooms stating that investors would be stopping by to view the rooms with a security guard for a week long period, during hours that covered the majority of the day, and that our consent was implied, not requested. I find it very unprofessional that they did this, and couldn't offer a scheduled date and time that a room was empty for someone to come and view it, or even talk to the people who were in that room to schedule an appropriate time. There were a few people from our group who actually had security come into their room unannounced (not even knocking) and wake up someone who was taking a nap because they wanted to show that unit. I couldn't believe the audacity of someone to barge in like that and invade someone's privacy.

On top of all of this, whenever we would call down and ask for something from the front desk (ex. an extra pot or a bottle opener) we would sit and wait for about 30 minutes and would have to call back again to ask for things. I'm not sure if they hoped we would forget or they were legitimately always busy, but when we called back to ask they would have someone come up within 5 minutes. Sometimes the service at the front desk wasn't even close to personable, as you would be continuously be interrupted by someone starting to do another task.

Needless to say I would NOT recommend the Pagoda to anyone, and I hope that what we experienced was simply bad service due to their attempt of overhauling the building.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalie R

Aloha Natalie R,
Mahalo for bringing these issues to my attention and taking the time to post a review. I apologize for your experience and can empathize with your frustration. Your review has been read to the entire staff and is posted in our lunchroom. Our management team is also working on addressing these issues with our departments so that your experience is not repeate.
Me Ka Ha'aha'a,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

pagoda hotel was a nice place to stay for the weekend, the amenities were great, service was wonderful, the pool was wonderful, the people at the hotel was very nice to talk too. the rooms were great.

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 977twinkie123
kekuwene, Manager at Pagoda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Aloha 977twinkie123,
Mahalo to you for taking the time to post a review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. All of us here at the Pagoda hope that you visit us many times in the future and in the extremely near future!
Me Ka Hau'oli,