“Cheap and convenient”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Although this isn't the nicest hotel in the area (not even close...) I still like it here, a lot.
Its easy to get in and out of and its close to the beach. The price is right and for me it works.
I don't travel to Hawaii for the hotels so all I really need is a cheap place to rest my head. I spend all of my time out and about and really only come back to the hotel to sleep at night. If this is what you are looking for then I recommend this place. If you are looking for an all inclusive spa resort then don't even bother looking any further - move on to another hotel.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Front desk to housekeeping, all the staff were friendly and helpful. Room was clean, bed was very comfortable(king) and nice flat screen tv. About a minute walk to the beach and shops on Kalakaua. Nice pool and lounge...

My only complaint was that my room faced the east and the curtain does not block the sunlight, I was out late every night and wanted to sleep in, but between the animals at the zoo and the sunlight, it was hard to sleep past 8:30. For most, that won't be a problem as you'll probably be up ready to explore the island...

Room Tip: I would try and get a "west" facing room. It's away from the noises of the zoo and the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This hotel is a little gem. My wife and I stayed here on our first trip to Hawaii and were pleasantly surprised. It was close to many attractions including the Honolulu Zoo (right across the street), the aquarium and Waikiki beach is two blocks away.

We stayed in a Junior Suite which was was good enough. Not a resort suite , but definitely big enough. It had a small bar fridge plus a microwave, utensils and a sink.

Internet was free in the room we were in while parking was 15 dollars per day.

If you are on a budget I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If on a budget, stop off at grocery store and pick up some stuff to make sandwiches or snacks if you...
1  Thank chrismakris
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed here for 13 nights when my partner and I took our dream trip to Hawaii. The hotel is in a great location only 2 blocks from Waikiki Beach.

Rooms - The room we had for the first 10 nights had a view of Diamond Head. Nice corner room with a balcony. Bathroom was nice but average. Bed was nice and soft. We were suppost to leave on our 11 days, but our flights were cancelled due to the huricane hitting NYC on the day we were supposed to fly back. The hotel was very accommodating and was able to move us to a less expensive room for the 3-days we were "stuck" in Hawaii. The second room was not as nice and located just down the hall form the main ball room (lots of noise). Cleaning crew didn't clean the room on one of the last days we were there.

Parking - The parking is seft parking that cost $15 a day. The parking garage with is in trhe hotel is not owned by the hotel and the attendents were not friendly.

This hotel was nice ... but if we go back to Honolulu, I'm not sure if we would stay here again. Plenty of other hotels in the area. This one was just average.

Room Tip: Don't spend the money on the ocean view rooms. The "Diamond Head view" room we got h...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wildstar67
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I have stayed pretty much all over Waikiki and Queen Kapiolani is by far my favorite hotel. Not only do they have great rates but the view is incredible. The junior suite has a large lanai off the kitchenette, most rooms in Waikiki offer smaller lanais with barely room for two chairs and few offer kitchenettes. In fact, we stayed in a hotel on the next block for a week and it only had a small fridge. At some point in your stay, a sink, microwave and larger fridge will be worth it's weight in gold because eating on Waikiki is only fun for a few days, not to mention expensive. Expect to pay double for food. That said, not all rooms offer a kitchenette so be sure to check and when comparing prices, remember what you're getting. The rooms at Queen Kap are large enough to actually spend down time in and enjoy yourself. The windows in the junior suite open up the entire room to a sweeping view. I've always found the hotel to be clean and parking is inexpensive compared to other hotels. You are a block off the ocean, many rooms have a view of it and right across from the park and zoo. Because of this, you are tucked away from the strip but still have access to it when you want. All the conveniences you will need on your trip are found there and I cannot recommend this hotel enough as I know you'll be pleased.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite on a higher floor. They offer and Diamondhead AND ocean views and a wall of...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank LahLahLand
Reviewed 16 September 2011

This was my 9th visit to Hawaii & this time I was with my husband & two friends. It was our first stay at the Queen Kapiolani and were there for 10 nights. We paid a little extra to stay on the penthouse level, however we did see other rooms & whilst ours were amazing with incredible views & beds to die for, the other rooms were clean and fine. I have contacted the General Manager & advised that the hotel staff were the friendliest & most helpful I have ever experienced. Nothing was too much trouble. The pool area is quite lovely & much more private than the "5" star hotels right on Waikiki Beach. I would highly recommend this hotel. It's in a great location, the hotel is lovely & the staff are some of the best. M Biber - Tasmania Australia

Room Tip: Pay extra & stay on the top levels
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MBIber
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We had booked at Queen Kapiolani Hotel as a package with our flight and car rental. Before selecting hotel , we did go through some reviews which are not at all helpful because people want a five star treatment all the time. Don't be fooled by negative reviews. We really got we had thought or desired about. Infact, we had no preference as in room wise. But they gave us upgrade to a sea-view room, which I am really thankful to. The rooms were decent. The only thing that I didn't like was they didn't have any proper electricity socket which I could use to charge my phone or use hair straightener..they had two sockets in room , one where TV, refrigerator and everything can be connected and another one was so below that i needed extra cord. Secondly, they had parking facility but it was way costly , we stayed there for 5 days and had to pay $ 15 daily. I think so they should reduce that for hotel customers. But, overall the bathrooms were clean, nice. The beds comfortable. They had big flat screen TV , coffee maker, refrigerator, iron etc. I would strongly recommend this hotel. Thanks for the upgrade.

P.S. For Hotel manager - you have lot of scope of improvement in some areas.

Room Tip: We stayed in sea-view room at 16 th floor, so I can say it was awesome. To me it hardly mattered the...