“Another Great Stay at the Queen!”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #61 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I will start my review agreeing with everyone's Con's. One will be fixed soon and that is the elevators which are going to be entirely replaced later this year and the others is large groups of kids (Stay at a higher priced hotel with less service) if you want to avoid kids.
Now for the Pro's of the Queen, this was our 8th stay at the Queen and far and away the staff is so accommodating and have been there for many years. We stayed in a Diamond Head View Room with a balcony and love the 02 and 03 rooms. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pool area and the bar is getting revved up so I hope they keep working on that. The free Wi Fi was a nice surprise. The housekeeping was just fine and if I needed anything I just asked.
The front desk staff is awesome Jocelyn has always been very nice and helpful and was able to arrange a later check out for us which was much appreciated. The bell staff totally rocks Shane, Kawika, and Jared are the best. When it comes to choosing a hotel in Waikiki you can choose a full service hotel and pay for the view and the all the services that these hotels offer or you can economize and stay on Kuhio Ave and walk to the beach. OR you can stay at a great hotel close to Waikiki with a an AWESOME staff that actually remembers you when you return and provides a tremendous value. That hotel is the Queen Kapioliani Hotel. We will be returning to the Queen on our next visit and cannot wait. I always book with Merl right though the hotel and I asked for an 02 room and got just what I asked for.
One quick update as of April 1st self parking at $15/day changed to valet parking at $20/ day. At first glance I was man another $5/day but it was so nice not having to park my car in some of those tight spaces.
Thanks again for another great stay staff of the Queen.

Mike and Darla Reynolds

Room Tip: Diamond Head View room are the best!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mikreyn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,568)

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Now a part of Aqua Hotels, Queen Kapiolani is one of the best buys in Honolulu. Excellent location but you need to book Diamond Head view - fantastic. Friendly service overall from hotel staff.

Room Tip: Upper rooms with Diamond Head and ocean views
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Second stay here since about a year ago. Wifi is now in every room and works very well. Elevators are even slower with many breakdowns. We sense a slight deterioration since my last visit. The escalators never ran during the two weeks we were there. However it is still clean and the location is great. It is still a great value.

Room Tip: Diamond head side views are great but a little noisier.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank wanderingel
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here around the 7 - 14 March travelling with a group of friends. We booked separably and I went for the basic room. That was a mistake and can not recommend any of the rooms without a balcony. The room was large but was dark even with the curtains fully opened and the lights on. Also the draw was broken and it was a room that you would sleep in, nothing else. This would of been normally ok as I don't stay in the room much but the bar was out of action and it was rainy. That being said people with a balcony had a room that was sunny and light and enjoyable to sit in with a wine and a book.

My room was clean, but friends had the prior people towels left on the balcony for the entire time of their stay. Lifts are slow, partially if busy.

Groups of school kids ! (I think we had 4 different groups). We had Mothers putting tape on the doors so the kids did not sneak out at night. 60 kids in the morning are loud - needless to say we went out for breakfast every morning.

Overall I the hotel is a bit worn but it's in a good position, Also went to Lulu's and can recommend it for a meal and a drink. I would only stay here again in a room with a balcony and would not recommend a low level rooms.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed March 17th to the 20th of March. Pro's Great views on upper floors, easy walk to Waikiki, very clean, decent WiFi, comfortable beds, helpful staff and Bellboys we had were very nice. Con's the hotel is older but has character, the elevators do need work. There was a group of teenaged girls there during our stay that were loud at times, but hey their young and having fun. Would stay again. Very good value. We recommend walking up to LuLu's and overlook Waikiki for breakfast!

Room Tip: Higher the better we had room 1614
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oilexec
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed here a few weeks ago and had a beautiful ocean view from the room. The room that I had was very small but the room was mainly used for sleeping and showering so it didn't really matter. I would like to commend a few people that really made my stay enjoyable..I've stayed in numerous hotels to date and no one has standed out as much as the two people I encountered. Front Desk Agent Caren and Manager Rob both assisted me and they were very polite and attentive. They were very approachable and took some time to ensure that my stay was enjoyable. They addressed me by name and truly exonerated what Aloha really means. I look forward to seeing them again when I visit this property in the future!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I believe she was a beautiful hotel at one time. However, the *Queen* has definitely seen better days. Housekeeping is terrible. My bathroom over the course of seven days was never cleaned properly and was dirty upon arrival. I complained three times and got no satisfaction. I do not believe my room was ever vacuumed. The toilet never flushed properly. The elevators were so extremely slow that it was easier to walk several flights of stairs. They also never worked properly and stopped on floors, skipped floors and were prone to stop completely at mid-level at anytime. There are two escalators that never worked my entire stay. Breakfast was wonderful, however, there was always a very long wait for omelettes. The main hostess is the rudest person I have ever met. I always found dirty glasses, cups and dishes. The view from the pool deck and the breakfast area, however, was lovely. The lobby floor was never clean and there are no trash cans anywhere. The entire hotel staff could use a course on customer service. I will never stay in this hotel again. The carpets are shabby and not clean and the walls need cleaning once in a while. This is a skeevy hotel and I do not recommend it at all. If you don't mind all of the above then you will enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Find another hotel in which to stay.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank GLyle
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

We sincerely apologize that your visit to theQueen Kapiolani Hotel did not fulfill your expectations. We do make every effort to ensure that our guest have an enjoyable experience.

In regards to your comments regarding cleanliness and service, rest assured that we will be working with the Executive Housekeeper and Restaurant Manager to address them. Please accept our most humble apologies, for what you experienced was not acceptable.

We do want to Thank You for your comments that "breakfast was wonderful" and "the view from
the pool deck and the breakfast area, however was lovely. We sincerly believe that the view of Diamond Head, from the 3rd floor is simply amazing.

Should you decide to honor us with the privilege and opportunity to stay with us during your next visit to Waikiki, please do not hesitate to contact me, and I would be delighted to assist you with
your reservation.