“Older Charming Hotel with First Rate Service!”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Orlando, Florida
“Older Charming Hotel with First Rate Service!”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was getting ready to fly over to Ohau for business for two weeks and decided to take my Wife and extend our time from two weeks to three weeks. My Company made my reservations based off a Pier Diem rate. Now, I usually stay at the Hawaiian Hilton but this time the hotel was booked and I could not get into this hotel for the full three weeks. Once I received my reservations through my company it had the name Queen Kapiolani Hotel. Well, I looked it up because I had not heard of this hotel. I found that this was an older hotel with a great location.
I had to remember that for two of the three weeks I would be on the other side of the island working and my Wife would be at the hotel without transportation so, I agreed to these accomidations based off of the location. Before flying I emailed the Queen Kapiolani and received an answer before the end of my day. Ms. Merl Bautista replied to my email telling me everything about the hotel and the local area. Merl talked to us like we were family and really made us looked forward and excited to arriving in Hawaii. Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the friendliest Car Hops. We then checked in only to find out that Ms. Bautista upgraded our room at no extra charge. Now this was really sweet of her as I had returned not to long ago from Afghanistan and never really have had any alone time with my Wife. Merl was not working at the time of check in. Once we were checked the lady at the desk (I'm sorry, didn't remember name) gave us some idea where everything was located and she then called for a Bell Hop that helped us with our luggage and showed us to the room. We saw where the hotel was undergoing some rentavation. The Bell Hop also told us that the elevators were being worked on so they may be slow but that we could use their service elevator until the other ones were fixed. He entered the room and showed were everything was located and even opeded the door to the outside balcony which was part of the upgrade. The view was just awesome....we had a beautiful view of Diamond Head, the Ocean and also a view of the Zoo. My Wife and I were speechless. The hotel room was not brand new as we new the hotel was quite old but that is what gave the hotel the romantic charm. I would reccomend this hotel to everyone.....the location was great (block from the beach), the employees were #1 (great attitudes), the breakfast buffett was execellent, ......and Ms. Merl Bautista was a huge factor in making our dreams come true. I will stay here from now on and will suggest to all my co-workers to do the same......."Great Job Ms. Merl Bautista and all of her co-workers at the Queen Kapiolani" R.M. from Oklahoma

Room Tip: If for some reason you are not happy with your room then just tell the front desk. They will go out...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Randy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Location of the hotel is awesome! Photos online of the room were nice.. At $150 a night I thought it was worth it.. Upon checking in staff was great!!!!! Bell men and valet were superb!!! We got into our room and everything went downhill! The room was horrible! The tiniest room I've ever been in! 2 full beds NO DRESSER NO BALCONY LOUVRE WINDOWS PEELING WALL PAPER STAINED SINK I COULD GO ON AND ON!!! I immediately called front desk to complain about the size having a child with us there was NO WAY wed fit! They informed me I booked a standard room and that the room they gave us was an "UPGRADE" to ocean view!!! Upgrade!!!!!!! I told them for the price of the room this was ridiculous!!!!! And I either wanted to check out now or as soon as possible! They told me I could pay $40 more per night to change rooms!!!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!! Then she put me on hold came back on the phone and said we could take a look at another room .. I did and this one was a little bigger.. Still no balcony.. The walls were dingy and peeling the shower water temperature was broken switching from hot to cold. I will NEVER stay at an Aqua "boutique" Hotel again!!! They are over priced old and not worth the money to stay in!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Chantel_mahealani

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Staff is amazingly friendly and they treat you like family. The valet always go out of their way to open doors for you, ask you about your day, welcome you back, and always try to give you things to make your day more fun...like coupons to where you are going, maps to fun attractions, and tips about local venues. The rooms are newly renovated, the location is impeccable, and its not an elitist hotel. You feel right at home, yet it has a hint of a romantic feel. Try this place!!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank princekim
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Nice hotel, but the rooms are old and run-down. However the room was clean and there was a kitchenette. There are no windows, but glass blinds. so it was very noisy at night. The best thing was the pool area at the third floor including the bar. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The valet parking worked fine too. However the elevator was a real nightmare as you had to wait for a long time no matter when you wanted to use it.

The best thing was the location as the hotel is opposite the zoo and it is a 5-min walk to the beach. From the balcony we had a wonderful view of diamant head.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Cant beat the location and the service was top notch across the board - front desk, restaurant, lounge, bellman, all extremely friendly and helpful. In spite of the aesthetic deterioration in a number of areas of this 40 year old holel, the upside of a location that is walking distance from everything at an affordable rate makes the unglamorous image easy to overlook. Third Floor lounge has the best view of Diamond Head on the Island!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank David B
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My son and I stayed there for 8 nights in August. The hotel is located one block off the beach across the street from the zoo. The hotel staff was great, the room was very clean. The beds were made up tighter than the Marine Corp boot camp cots at Paris island in 1966. There was a coffee maker in the room with a pack of Kona caffeinated and a non caffeinated coffee. Enough for a full pot of each. Very good coffee. There was an in-room safe, Ironing board and iron, all the bathroom amenities, thick bath towels and good size towels at the pool with a very scenic view of Diamond Head from the pool terrace. The hotel will let you take the pool towels to the beach so dont bother bringing any. The air conditioning was sufficient and a nice size lanai. The staff was more than helpful. My son and I loved the location as it was at the end of the Waikiki Beach area and within walking distance to the center. We did most of our swimming there with less beach goers than the center of Waikiki. There was ABC stores all over the place within walking distance along with fast food restrauants and upper end restrauants. There was a Catholic church a few blocks away. A very good location unless you want to be right in the center with the hordes of visitors. I would stay there again. One set back. The elevators are being updated and there is currently a shortage of them. The hotel has opened up the service elevator for your use. I am not sure when the renovation will be completed. We didn't find this to be that big of a deal but some people might. The little inconvience caused was worth the overall picture.

Room Tip: I think the best view would be one facing Diamond Head.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank 767captlarry
Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed ten nights, overall a great experience. Just out of the hustle and bustle of the main street (1 block) which was great but still very close to beach. Had a mountain, partial beach view room, and would recommend staying in this type of room, exquisite views, especially over sunrise/set. The bellman Kawika was extremely friendly and helpful over all our stay, always happy and knowledgable, and made our stay a better experience. Only downfall was the elevators were quite slow but they are under renovation, and the bar area could have been open earlier. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple