“Great hotel for value, and at a "quiet" part of Waikiki!”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Kaua'i, HI
“Great hotel for value, and at a "quiet" part of Waikiki!”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This is a review of a 4 night stay at the Queen Kapi'olani Hotel that we just returned from two days ago. We live on Kaua'i and have stayed there before, but before Aqua took it over and before some renovations were done. We have always enjoyed it, and felt it was a great value for the location. We like being on the "quiet" end of Waikiki and the close access to the walking paths at Kapi'olani Park for our early morning exercise....also it is less than 5 minutes to walk to the beach.

We booked the least expensive room, and it was unfortunately, quite small indeed. So much so that the 2 twin beds didn't have enough room to have a nightstand on each, and there was no dresser, table or chair in the room. There were hanging "cubbys" that you would normally put your shoes on for your clothing instead of a closet. The TV didn't work (altho' a maintenance person came quickly when we called and fixed it) and we later found out that the light in the bathroom didn't work either (this not until after dark unfortunately!). The following morning we pulled open the shades and found that we were looking directly at a lanai about 4 feet away from us and a man standing in his underwear.....the angle of this room made any other "viewing" direction impossible, so we closed the shades, making the room dark. If I had the shades open, from my bed I was totally exposed to view as well.

I have never done this before in my life (I was a former front desk clerk at a hotel on Kaua'i, so I know what a pain changing rooms can be for them)....but I did not want to spend 3 more nights in this room with shades that I could not open due to the privacy issue.

I spoke with a very lovely, friendly lady named Jocelyn at the front desk, just asking if it would be possible to change to a room that had a little more privacy, but realizing that we had paid for the lowest category room as well and expecting a similar room with just a different angle of view. She showed us a room that not only had a double bed (which was what we requested) but had a table and chair, a closet and a lovely view of the ocean. We were moved to this room that day thanks to her assistance. She was at all times extremely helpful and courteous and made the rest of our stay absolutely enjoyable. The room was clean, lovely, the bed comfortable, the bathroom large and absolutely adequate for our needs.

I would like to give a particular "mahalo" to Jocelyn because she made all the difference to a stay that would have been me dreading coming back to the hotel into a lovely stay that we enjoyed very much. Mahalo Jocelyn!

The service from the bell desk and valet were always good and prompt. The last time we stayed at the Queen Kapi'olani, we had the option of self parking for a fee per day (I'm guessing around $13.00?).....when we asked the valet what our parking choices were he said that it was either mandatory valet parking of $25.00 per day, or we could park at the zoo across the street at metered parking. We did use the zoo parking for quick trips in and out of the hotel, but otherwise you have no choice but to pay $25.00 a day. I guess that is normal for Waikiki, but it seemed like a lot to us!

Overall, this was a short, pleasure trip for us to another island. The hotel is lovely, it is older, but has charm and character. The service given us by Jocelyn in particular, was wonderful and made all the difference in the world to our experience there.

My recommendation is to not book the lowest category room unless you are using it for maybe one night and not spending any time there. Try to book a higher category room and it will make all the difference in the world to your stay there.

Mahalo to the Queen Kapi'olani and to "Auntie" Jocelyn in particular!

Malama Pono,

Room Tip: Do not book the lowest category room unless you are only going to be there maybe one night or don...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank koloagirl
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your comments. It was wonderful to hear that the Front Desk was able to move you to better
accommodations and that from that point, your stay was wonderful.

We always recommend to our visitors, that if you are just looking for a place to sleep, then the standard category, the least expensive room would suffice. But if you want a larger room with more amenities, then the next category up is definitely recommended.

It was wonderful to hear that Jocelyn at Front Desk made all the difference in the world in regards to your stay. That you found the room clean, lovely, the bed comfortable, the bathroom large and absolutely adequate.

What was also wonderful to hear was the service from the Bell Desk and valets were always good and prompt.

If I may assist you on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Ron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Picked this hotel after reviewing trip advisor. I was apprehensive after reviewing some of the negative reviews but booked it because of positive reviews, proximity to beach and pictures.
Upon arrival at hotel at 2 pm our room was not ready. So we waited until check in time of 3 and room was ready.
We booked a 1 bedroom suite with a view of Diamond Head and the ocean. We made the reservation directly with the Hotel. The front desk staff was very nice and upgraded us to the Pent House floor room 1914. The rate was $243/nt.
The room was very nice and looked just like the pictures on the website. We are a family of 5 so they included a free rollaway in the price. The roll away was one of the nice ones that does not fold in half. So our sleeping experience was great. The room had A/C unit in both rooms.
Previous write ups said there was a lot of elevator noise. We did not hear that even though our room was right next to the elevators. But our sleeping room was one room removed from the elevators. In the morning in the family room one can definitely hear the elevator noise but it was not annoying since we were just in our room to sleep.
The escalator in the lobby in broken and I think they have no plans to fix it since the 3 elevators are new and work fine. Pool is smaller but there was never any big crowds in the pool to make that a factor.
Minus is that there was tiny bugs in kitchen if you leave food out. They need to spray for bugs on 19th floor too.
The balcony was huge and afforded us great views of diamond head, ocean and pool areas.
Internet only works in Lobby, 2nd and 3rd floor. We were told that upon check in.
Maid was nice and cleaned our room by the afternoon.
Tom that works and owns the lobby surf shop is a great guy and gives great help to tourists.
He found us a rent a car when no one else could. He also told us where to park for free. His snorkel rental deal is great.
Overall this hotel seems great if you get the right room. Good Luck!

Room Tip: Use Tom in Surf shop. He is a great help!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank dottopilot
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we were delighted to hear that the
Front Desk Staff were very nice and that they upgraded you to the PH Floor. That you found the room very nice and looked just like the pictures on the website.

It was wonderful to hear that while you read of elevator noise, you did not experience noise even though the room was right next to the elevators. We are happy that you enjoyed the huge balcony that afforded you great views of iconic Diamond Head, ocean and lush, green
Kapiolani Park.

Many people have commented how helpful and reasonable Tom at Tee and Sea surf shop
is and how he is always going out of his way to assist people from snorkel equipment to rental car.

If we can be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I spent seven nights at this hotel and it was a Disaster. I get there and the hotel looks nice, room looked nice, everything worked, and then I look at the window of my supposedly ocean view room and see no ocean. When I called to inquire they said you have to stand in a certain place to see the ocean. Sure enough if I stood in one corner of the window I was able to see the ocean. Wow. Next, the wifi broke down two days later. Reading some of the other reviews lead me to believe that the wifi is just a scam. They advertise that they have it in all of the rooms, but they really don't. Day after day I called to see if the wifi was working. They promised it would be up soon. But it was only up in the lobby for the last day or so of my stay. SO...I couldn't check my email to verify when my flight was leaving because there was NO WIFI. So I got confused and thought I was leaving a day later. I returned from my room only to find I couldn't get in and a very irate and curt front desk clerk wanting to know why I had not checked out. I'm here until tomorrow, I said. No, you were supposed to check out today, she told me. Then she charged my the full price of the room for that night which was over $400.00. I had only paid $1,700.00 for the six nights and air. On top of that, I had missed my flight and had to pay another $300.00 dollars. Because they had no WIFI, I missed my flight and had to pay close to an additional $1000.00 in extra costs. The staff was very rude when this happened and completely unapologetic. Additionally, they never changed my drinking glasses in my room the entire trip and I had eaten ice cream out of one of them. I was on the 18th floor. Even so, the ants smelled the ice cream residue and made a trail into the bathroom to the glass. On top of all of this, I got very sick and had to call the paramedics and the hotel staff came in with the paramedics without my consent and held open the door watching everything and invading my privacy until I noticed them and asked the paramedics to have them leave. Unbelievable experience at this hotel. Don't stay here if you can find another hotel of similar price. The inconvenience is just not worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank juliaisabella
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Aloha! Please accept our most sincere apology in regards to your recent stay with us. Unfortunately we started experiencing WIFI problems on the fourth night of your 6 night stay which is hardware related. We currently are providing complimentary WIFI in our public areas such as Lobby, 2nd and part of the 3rd floor. We are working diligently to provide WIFI to the guest rooms and should have it available in the very near future.

There definitely was a problem with your booking dates, which per the booking agency, had you checking out on 7/31/13. We did get a call from a friend of yours that made the original
reservation for you, informing us that she had made an error in your reservation and that your check out was supposed to be 8/1/13. Thus, you had to extend your stay directly with the Hotel at the prevailing cost.

In regards to the Paramedics coming to your room, it is the Hotel policy to have a Hotel staff member accompany Emergency Personnel to render assistance and hold the elevator if necessay. We truly apolgize if you felt that we were invading your privacy, for that was not the intention.

We do apologize for the ants and I have personally discussed this with the Executive Housekeeper to remind their staff to double check usage of the glasses to eliminate these pest. We will be following up with our fumigation service to spray in an effort to eliminate
them.

Again, please accept our most sincere apology and we will be following up with you directly. If I can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Ron

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was our final stopover on our Honeymoon, having stayed in luxury in Maui and Ko'olina. We knew not to expect as much at more than half the price. And our expectations were met. Yes the hotel is older, yes the rooms were fairly basic with quite an old bathroom but for the price and its location, it was pleasant enough and we had no complaints.

We followed the advice of many reviewers on this site and went to Lulu's around the corner for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J and F C
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we are glad that we were your final stopover on your honeymoon. That it was reasonable and that you had no complaints.
I am sure you enjoyed the wonderous view of iconic Diamond Head and that we are minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach. Being on the edge of Waikiki, across the street from Honolulu Zoo and lush Kapilolani Park, makes it a relaxing, with quick access to the highway.

Again, thank you for staying with us and if I may be of service on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Disgusted with roaches and the fact that they wanted to spray room and put me in a 2 twin bed room with my husband and for night and bring us back the next day. The pictures of hotel is an illusion not a reality.

• Stayed August 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly apologize for the inconvenience of having to move you, to treat the room properly. No one likes to experience roaches during their vacation and we are truly sorry. If you can provide us with your travel dates and name so that we make look into your concerns and respond directly and appropriately.

We would like to invite you back, so that we may have the opportunity to serve you and have you experience what Queen Kapiolani Hotel is truly about.

Again, please accept our most humble apology and we look forward to your response.

Cool
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This stay was during my recent trip to Hawaii (Oahu and Maui) in July/August 2013. This review is for Queen Kapiolani Hotel near Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii on Oahu.

Property: Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Location: Honolulu, Oahu (Hawaii)
Address: 150 Kapahulu Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815
Phone: (866) 970-4164
Website: www.queenkapiolani.com
Room Type/Class: Corner Ocean View (Room 1218)
Date: July 29-31, 2013
Booking Source: Direct (AAA Rate)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

This was a short notice trip for me (about one month notice) to cover the Cure concert in Honolulu, and it was a busy time of year for a visit to Hawaii, so some of my first choices were sold out or very pricey, so I thought I would seek out a more economical alternative. I’m frankly more of a fan of Maui and Kauai, and Honolulu is a bit touristy/busy/urban for my tastes (for Hawaii), just to give an idea of my perspective.

In any event, I thought it would be most productive to stay in Honolulu to avoid a lot of driving for my short, two-night stay. I found a good deal for Queen Kapiolani Hotel in Honolulu on their official site for $116.10/night with their AAA rate, and though I was completely unfamiliar with the hotel, I thought I would try it out since it was only for two nights.

I did have a rental car, and had read in advance that the hotel was valet parking only, so anticipated doing just that. In approaching the hotel, the turn required to access the valet area on the other side of the hotel was blocked by a garbage truck… I waited about 4-5 minutes, and decided to explore the vast parking lot for the zoo across the street as an alternative option. I parked in front of one of the self help pay meters, and called the support number to make sure that they allow parking overnight – they do. Their rates are $1 per hour, pre-paid. You can insert cash or a credit card, and type in your license plate number (so that nothing needs to be left in your car or on your dash). Valet is $25 per day at the hotel (plus tip), so this was more economical and easier – all you have to do is exit the front of the hotel and cross the two lane street (which is not too busy), so this was a convenient parking option.

I arrived a little bit after 2:00 PM, hopeful I could check-in. The front desk attendant was not very friendly, and said that check-in was not until 4:00 PM, though a room may be available before that… I asked if they could call me if a room was ready before that – she said no, but I could call them.

I had lunch at Teddy’s Bigger Burgers a block or two away (which was great) and returned a little bit after 3:00 and there was a huge line of people waiting to check-in in the lobby, so waited in line again, and about 15 minutes later was helped and able to check in.

I asked about Wi-Fi, which was important to me as I was going to be publishing a concert review with many photos the following night, and I was told that Wi-Fi was temporarily down, and to come back later for a code to access once it is back up. Long story short, Wi-Fi was not available during my entire two-night stay. As a consequence, I had to tether my phone and went way over my data plan (which obviously had an associated cost), but there was no alternative since the hotel did not provide Internet service.

The elevators seem to be too few/too slow to properly service the hotel, so be prepared for a wait in using them (at least in my experience over a few days).

The room itself was nice, with great views, but was very dated. If that doesn’t bother you, it is a non issue. I’ve found a lot of the small, non-big brand/chain hotels along Waikiki are the same. Worn and dated, but clean enough.

One nice feature is that the windows are not pane windows but tilt open like shutters, and the room I stayed in had these on the wall to the side of the bed facing the ocean as well as the kitchenette, so you can get some good airflow going if there is any.

The kitchenette is a nice feature, with refrigerator and microwave, as well as sink and dishes.

It is very close to the beach and all of the attractions in Waikiki – just one and a half blocks – so it is really in a prime location.

Overall, the price was great, the view with balcony was great, the location was great.. The room is dated and lacked Internet. If I was looking for a relatively cheap stay in Waikiki again, I would consider staying here again. Even still, I would give it three and a half stars because there is still a lot of room for improvement (and it would be worth paying more if it was more updated and the Internet worked, etc.).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rock-Subculture
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we do appreciate your comments for it gives us a snapshot and allows us to focus on areas we need to improve.

Your experience with the Front Desk was discussed with the Front Office Manager and he will be meeting with the staff to discuss sevice, which in this industry, is ongoing training.

We currently provide complimentary WIFI in the public areas, such as the Lobby, 2nd floor and the restaurant area. In regards to the rooms, we are working with the vendor to correct this problem and hope to have a resolution shortly.

Thank you for your overall comments, regarding the price being great, the view from the balcony was great and the location was great. We definitely are working on the WIFI situation and the dated look of the rooms.

If I may be of assistance on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked my room here on the advice of a friend who had stayed here several times in the past and who was planning on staying at the Queen K while I was there. OK, the good - it is a block from Waikiki Beach and across the street from the zoo. The room has a nice flat screen TV and a safe. It was downhill from there.

I arrived at 1:30 in the afternoon after a 9 hour trip from Texas and a two hour wait at the hotel for my bags that were put on a later flight. I was told that I could not check in until 3. And I could check my bags for free.

The room was small and dingy, but I could see the beach from my window. There was no bedside table or reading lamp in the room. There was a large flat screen TV.

There was NO Internet service in the room - only in the lobby. This is unacceptable in the 21st century. I was in Honolulu on business and needed Internet access to prepare for meetings and stay current with my job at home. I should have known that my friend who refuses to own a cell phone or laptop computer would not have considered this important when he made the recommendation to me.

Check out was at 11, but my shuttle to the airport was not arriving until 2:30. "Of course I could check my bags until then," and they charged me $2/bag for this. Outrageous. Why not check departing guests bags for them. And, I could not use the rest room in the lobby because a room key was required. So hospitality ended the minute check out was completed.

I will not stay here again. I will not recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Monte B
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent experience, for we appreciate hearing the good and not so good. It allows us to address and focus on our guest's concerns, to improve the guest experience.

Please accept our most sincere apology in regards to the WIFI, which we are diligently addressing with our provider. Currently, we do offer complimentary WIF in our public areas, such as the Lobby, 2nd and part of the 3rd floor.

In regards to the room, we do offer different categories that differ in size. The City View Category is more spacious and has a table and chair.

Again, please accept our most humble apology and we would look forward to accommodating
you, if you would give us another opportunity.