“Top shelf experience for midrange price”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #59 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
San Francisco, California
“Top shelf experience for midrange price”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I've always loved the south end of Waikiki and the QKH is now my favorite place to stay in the area.

ROOMS AND VIEW:
I highly recommend any of the suites, I know that all of the one-bedroom suites are on the top floor (19) and I believe the junior suites are as well. My city view one-bedroom suite (1901) had a partial ocean view from its huge wrap-around balcony (I believe all suites have this). And once the sun went down, I think the view on the city side was nicer anyhow.

Suite was equipped with refrigerator/freezer, coffee maker, toaster, plates, glasses and utensils. Nice flatscreen TVs in both rooms. There was one full bathroom and one half-bath with a large vanity.

For ocean view rooms (like 1910 and I think 1914), you don't have a completely unobstructed view of the ocean (not "ocean front") as there are a few buildings in the way to the north. From October through March you'll have a full or partial view of the sunset from the oceanview rooms. Sunset views are most unobstructed in late December. From April through September it will be hidden by the buildings to the north. You'll generally have a better ocean view from about floor 15 up, as that gets you over one of the adjacent buildings closer to the water. In any event, all rooms on the south side of the hotel seem to have a clear unobstructed view of Diamond Head and Kapiolani Park, beautiful.

PARKING:
I recommend the garage about a block away at the Waikiki Banyan - 15 usd/day with unlimited in/out. There's also a 80 usd/week rate.

SERVICE:
Great, staff was very accommodating, also helped out with a lost credit card issue.

All in all a superb experience!

Room Tip: Any of the one bedroom suites. Sunset views run October through March, outside of that they're...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we certainly do appreciate your comments. We certainly do agree with you that this end of Waikiki is the best, minutes away from famous Waikiki Beach with beautiful views of iconic Diamond Head.

As you have discovered, our suites are very reasonable and offer tremendous value. For the wonderous view and great amenities, it is a great experience for the price. It was also wonderful to hear that the Staff was great and accommodating, helping you out with a lost credit card issue.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to ask.

Ron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Enjoyed staying there in the first week of July. A perfect location with a great view of the Waikiki beach. Zoo across the street and waikiki attractions being at walking distance makes this hotel a great one. Free WIFI was a relief ! The staff members were friendly and accommodating, overall a good value for money in Waikiki !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NepalPankaj
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your comments. As many of our guest have stated, we feel our location is tremendous, a few minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach with fabulous views of iconic Diamond Head.

It was wonderful to hear that the staff was friendly and accommodating and that Queen Kapiolani Hotel was great value for the money. That you appreciated the free WIFI in the common areas and what is more wonderful is that as of today, we have WIFI in the guest rooms.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Theresa, Jocelyn, Keala,Blane, Scott, Len, are the best staff at the Queen Kapiolani!!! They do everything to make you happy!! Theresa has been my angel there. I lost my ID and could not get cash but she came thru for me. She cashed my checks personally!
Door slamming stills happens! But much better then the last review I gave this hotel!
The buffet breakfast is WAY TOO expensive! A cup of coffee 2.85, crazy! The bar they have in hotel is the WORSE ever!! There is a no smoking law in Hawaii, you can not smoke in the bar areas, or near restaurants, you have to go outside of place of business, but The Deck bar allows smoking in the corner near the pool area! I was choking on all the smoke, so I complained and nothing was done! The entertainment that they had was not meant for the children that attend dinner the show! They had a gay show on a Sunday that was almost a orgy!! Gay couple making out in the pool!!! Parents distracting their kids that were in the pool not to watch the two men making out! WOW!!! Bar should be for hotel guests ONLY! No walk-ins should be allowed! They get drunk and act like [--]!
Good hotel Terrible bar!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your comments, for they allow us to correct and improve our Guest Experience. It was so wonderful to hear that our Staff was the best and do everything to make you happy.

We truly apologize for the experence and service at the Restaurant and Bar and have spoken to the operator regarding those events. Please be assured that the operator will not
be booking those type of events and that smoking, as you mentioned, is not allowed.

Again, please accept our most sincere apology, and if I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Queen Kapiolani Hotel is at the east end of Waikiki overlooking the zoo and views of Diamond Head in the distance. One block to the beach and the beginning of the "strip" of Waikiki. Very convenient. Our room had a view of the mountain from the 5th floor, but also had a view of a flat roof. Still, we were shaded from hot sun, had a small lanai, a fridge, and small accommodations for the 3 of us (parents and adult daughter). It was quiet except for the AC that continuously ran. We were told upon arrival that the internet was not available in hotel rooms because of a problem, but was available in the lobby. That was true for the whole 5 nights we were there. On Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights there is a luau with entertainment from 6-8:15 called Aloha Live. It is 1/2 price if you are a hotel guest ($35) It was wonderful! Afterwards, the "Foursome Fab" Beatles impersonators played for over an hour - well done! Valet parking on site for $25/day. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank E J
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your comments, for they give us feedback, which is so important in a service industry.

As you, we agree that we are on the quiet side of Waikiki, minutes from world famous Waikik Beach, with wonderful views of iconic Diamond Head. Not to mention Honolulu Zoo, beautiful Kapiolani Park and fascinating Waikiki Aquarium.

We truly apologize for the WIFI not being in the rooms and are working very diligently to resolve this and have been informed that it will be up by the first week of September. It is currently available in the Lobby, 1st floor and 2nd floor.

Aloha Live is a spectacular show for our guest who get 50% off and we have received many
positive comments regarding the Foursome Fab, Beatles impersonators.

Again, thank you for staying with us and if I may be of assistance on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Unless you're staying at a top-end hotel in Waikiki (such as the Royal Hawaiian or Moana), many of the mi-range hotels are just variations of the same.

Queen Kapiolani is a decent choice with a great location: at the end of the beach, away from the hustle and bustle, but only two blocks back from the beach. It had the cheapest rate in Waikiki (based on Travelocity search) for the time of my visit. The room was very basic, but clean. I had a room facing the beach which was great because I was able to leave my windows open at night and get a great breeze coming off of the ocean. Hotel staff were very frlendly. $25 bucks for valet parking, but unlimited in-and-out, and the valets had the car for me in minutes every time.

I'd go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the ocean, high floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sfmattyb
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Aloha! Thank you very much for sharing your recent stay with us and we appreciate your comments. We do agree that we have a great location, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach and spectacular views of iconic Diamond Head.

It was good to hear that the room was clean and that the room had a great breeze coming off the ocean. We are very proud of our staff and that you found them very friendly and that the Valets had your car available in minutes.

Again, thank you for your comments and if I may be of assistance on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Showers either boiling hot or freezing cold.safe had key not a code-so up to me not to lose key which they would charge $50 to replace,wifi in lobby not rooms...now i know it's not the most expensive hotel in town but for what we paid one would think all those things would be better catered for-staff pleasant and helpful

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Chas L
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us for it allows us to focus in our shortcoming and share the kudos with our staff when it is given. It was wonderful to hear that the staff was pleasant and helpful.

We truly apologize that the water temperature was not consistant and Maintenance has been advised to correct this situation. In regards to the WIFI, we were experiencing hardware problems which we are working with the provider. We have been informed that it will be corrected by the first week of September 2013. WIFI is currently provided in the Lobby,
2nd and part of the 3rd floor on a complimentary basis.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies and if I may be of assistance on your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Lovely hotel, room was nice although corridors and rooms could do with a little updating - the staff were lovely and helpful, we had paid a little extra for an ocean view which was worth it :)
Only issue was there was no wifi in the room, in this day and age I kind of expect to have Wifi - but there wasn't even a paid for option, we were just told no WiFi in rooms, although it had free WiFi in the lobby but was very slow! Went to the Aloha event one night which was a nice event at a discounted price, good food and a nice evening. Breakfast in the hotel was ok although we only had this once. Overall lovely stay in a lovely location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank EmmalucyB
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we appreciate hearing the good and areas that we can improve. It was wonderful to hear that you felt Queen Kapiolani was a lovely Hotel and that the room was nice. We were particularly glad to hear that the staff were lovely and helpful, and that you had paid a little extra for an Ocean View, which was worth it.

We truly apologize for not having WIFI in the rooms due to hardware problems, and we are working diligently to restore that service. We do have complimentary WIFI in the Lobby, 2nd and part of the 3rd floor at this time.

Again, thank you for letting us know that overall, you had a lovely stay in a lovely location.