“Great staff & location..best deal”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver
“Great staff & location..best deal”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Was very pleased with my stay and the Queen Kapiolani. The staff was super, genuinely friendly. The location is perfect with beach, restaurants and clubs close enough to walk to. The room we had was dated, but taken care of and clean and the breakfast was a great deal. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get Diamond Head view. The sunrise over diamond head is breathtaking.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JS0805
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and it was wonderful to hear that you were very pleased with your stay. For you to acknowledge that the staff was super, genuinely friendly was music to our ears, for we are very proud of them. We also feel that the location is perfect, minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach with amazing shopping and restaurants close by. Not to mention beautiful Kapiolani Park right across the street and iconic Diamond Head in the background. The sunrise is definitely breathtaking.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit to our beautiful island, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Ron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I picked this hotel after reading all reviews of Waikiki Beach hotels and this one seemed to be the best value (for my price range) and location and amenities. I was not disappointed.
I booked a queen room and think I asked for city view or something. I paid ahead of time to lock in the rate.
When we arrived to the hotel they upgraded us to a Diamond Head view room on the 7th floor. It was an awesome view! Loved it. I was very grateful for the upgrade. Nice, friendly staff.
Our room was clean and had a small fridge and coffeemaker. Nice TV. Air conditioner (a window unit) worked well, fortunately, because even in November it was quite warm in Honolulu.
The pool was nice (a great Diamond Head view from the pool also). The hotel is a close 1-2 min walk to Waikiki Beach. And about a 2 mile walk to the Diamond Head volcano. (We walked and hiked Diamond Head, great exercise!)
I loved the water station in the lobby of the hotel. I always filled up my water bottles there with cold, filtered water. It was great!
I would give 5 stars, honestly, but the only things that weren't perfect was the bathroom (a little outdated and had some holes/dents/rough spots to fix) and I wasn't pleased with the $14 price of the continental breakfast fee or the $17 buffet breakfast. I really badly wanted to have the breakfast, but that was way too expensive for us. (I know things are expensive in Hawaii, but that seemed a little excessive.) Instead we got muffins, juice and cereal from the nearby ABC stores. (Oh, by the way, there is a Teddy's Bigger Burgers almost next door to the hotel. Awesome burgers. Go eat there!)

Room Tip: Ask for a Diamond Head view room. It is worth it! :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and we truly appreciate your comments. It was wonderful to hear that you were not disappointed and that you enjoyed your stay. We do feel that we have a spectacular view of iconic Diamond Head from our rooms and 3rd floor pool deck. That we are a few minutes from world famous Waikiki Beach and across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park.

We are glad that you enjoyed the clean accommodations with amenties such as small refrig, coffee maker, A/C and 42" flat screen TV. Not to mention the water station in the Lobby.

In regards to your concern regarding the bathroom, we are in the process of refinishing the
bathroom and vanity, with improvements to the vanity lighting to create a improved bathroom experience. We are also working on improving the F&B outlet, by offering other selections during breakfast and adding lunch and dinner selections.

If I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We had a very nice stay at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel. Travis and Dustin, from the front desk staff, were extremely helpful and thankfully competent. After a long flight, they helped us relax and finally get into vacation mode. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your comments. It was wonderful to hear that the Front Desk Staff were extremely helpful and thankfully competent, for we are very proud that they impart that critical component...Aloha,
that magical word, that puts our visitor on the path of relaxation and appreciation.

If I may be of service during your next visit to our beautiful island, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed for 7 nights. Clean, good value hotel in a great location. Unfortunately I was not able to get a Diamond Head View room, but you have a great view from the pool/bar terrace. CIty view is OK from higher floors and you do have shade on the lanai. Friendly staff. I felt the bed was a little too hard but I'm a side sleeper! Ear plugs take care of the Waikiki noise. Happy to see you are planning to offer more dining possibilities. Will definitely consider returning.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and it was wonderful to hear that you consider us a clean, good value hotel in a great location. A few minutes from world famous Wakiki Beach, across the street from beautiful Kapiolani Park with iconic Diamond Head as a backdrop.....ahhh, paradise.

It was a great thing to hear that you found our staff friendly, for we feel that the feeling of Aloha comes from the staff, and we are very proud of them. In regards to food and beverage, we are already offering lunch and dinner from our 3rd floor restaurant and as you mentioned the great view of Diamond Head adds to the dining experience.

During your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call, if I may be of assistance.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was our first stay at the Queen Kapiolani. Our room was OK, not great, but clean and comfortable. Staff are friendly and helpful. Location is great - at the eastern end of Waikiki - five minutes from the beach and the restaurants and across from the zoo.
You have the choice of City View or Diamond Head view. Hint: the view of Diamond Head is spectacular but note that the sun rises over Diamond Head. If you're like me and want to read your paper on the balcony early in the morning, you're in full sun all day, whereas on the City View side, although not as great, you're comfortably shaded. If you're driving it's a bit of a hassle. They only offer valet parking at the hotel and it's very expensive.

1 Thank Mike L
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your comments. It was wonderful to hear that the room was clean and comfortable, Staff are friendly and helpful and location is great. Minutes away from world famous Waikiki Beach with Honolulu Zoo and beautiful Kapiolani Park across the street, and iconic Diamond Head as a back drop.

In regards to the Valet Service, we feel that their services have been a benefit to our guest with rates being lower in comparison to other Waikiki properties. Parking is available across the street at the Honolulu Zoo for $1.00 per 1 hour as a parking option.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Jocelyn & Keala at the front desk went above and beyond to make my elderly parents vacation outstanding. Jocelyn went the extra mile to carefully wrap and ship a small purchase and both girls were especially nice, courteous & friendly. This hotel is in the best location across the street from the Zoo and park. However it is their outstanding staff with their caring attitude and customer concern that keep us coming back. Everyone is very efficient and accommodating at this property.

Room Tip: Choose a Diamond Head view as it is cooler than ocean front which gets the full afternoon sun.
2 Thank Steve F
Aloha! Thank you for sharing your recent stay and it was truly heartwarming to hear that Jocelyn and Keala at the Front Desk went above and beyond to make your elderly parents vacation, outstanding. Both being especially nice, courteous and friendly.

We, too, believe the hotel is in the best location, across the street from Honolulu Zoo and beautiful Kapiolani Park, with iconic Diamond Head in the back ground. Not to mention world famous Waikiki Beach, just minutes away with all the shopping available.

Again, thank you, and if I may be of assistance during your next visit, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We love staying at The Queen Kapiolani.
The staff are all very friendly, helpful. We have been here 3 years in a row and every experience is wonderful.
Love the location with the zoo and beach near by as my girls love to do both all the time.
We will be returning to The Queen Kapiolani.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charlene G
Aloha! Home away from Home...what every General Manager wants to hear. It is also very heart warming to hear that the Staff are all very friendly and helpful and that for the past 3 years, every experience has been wonderful.

That you love the location with the zoo and beautiful Kapiolani Park across the street and world famous Waikiki Beach just minutes away, with iconic Diamond Head as a back drop.

We look forward to seeing you again and if I may be of assistance during your next visit,
please do not hesitate to call.